A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions on yarn usage needed!  (Read 332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missknitty
« on: October 08, 2007 05:25:06 PM »

Ok, so I'm hoping I'm the only one who doesn't go crazy with the yarn buying, only to forget what I had planned for said yarn (stupid me for not writing it down!). So, I need some suggestions on what to make with yarn I have lots of (we're talking sweater amounts in each color). My stash is way too big and needs to be knit into something soon!

Cascade Eco Wool (2 sk ea color)
Cascade Sierra (5-7 sk ea color)
Valley Berkshire (5-14 sk ea color)
Rowan Calmer (10 sk ea color)
Malabrigo worsted (7 sk ea color)
Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL (10 sk ea color)
Sugar n Cream - 3 huge balls of variegated color
Du Store Alpakka Faerytale (5 balls ea color - 192 yds per ball)

Oh, and would 600 yds worsted weight yarn be enough for a smaller shawl? I could always add edging in another yarn...right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 08:09:34 PM »

You mean you buy yarn with a PLAN in mind? I'm in AWE! Me, I just buy it because I like it and buy enough so I can figure out what I want to make with it later on (many, many years later on in some cases).

Since I'm not familiar with most of those yarns (as I said, my stash is OLD, mostly purchased at Super Yarn Mart, which no longer exists!) ... I would begin by doing a search for those particular yarns - the companies usually will have suggested patterns for them, some of them even free, and anyway that would give you a start by telling you how much yarn would be needed for certain things ...

For the cotton - you can make lots and lots of dishcloths!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007 01:34:53 AM »

Ok, so I'm hoping I'm the only one who doesn't go crazy with the yarn buying, only to forget what I had planned for said yarn (stupid me for not writing it down!). So, I need some suggestions on what to make with yarn I have lots of (we're talking sweater amounts in each color). My stash is way too big and needs to be knit into something soon!

Cascade Eco Wool (2 sk ea color)
Cascade Sierra (5-7 sk ea color)
Valley Berkshire (5-14 sk ea color)
Rowan Calmer (10 sk ea color)
Malabrigo worsted (7 sk ea color)
Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL (10 sk ea color)
Sugar n Cream - 3 huge balls of variegated color
Du Store Alpakka Faerytale (5 balls ea color - 192 yds per ball)

Oh, and would 600 yds worsted weight yarn be enough for a smaller shawl? I could always add edging in another yarn...right?

For Rowan Calmer, 10 skiens can make you a jumper if you have a 36" (or less) bust. There's the Rowan Calmer collection http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/Rowan/RowanPatternBooks.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=2959
that can give you ideas about what to do with the yarn, The collection ranges from pullovers, to cardigans, socks, hats. Shedir (Knitty.com) was also done in Shedir, as is many patterns by the french girl.

Cascade eco wool can do the hemlock blanket (I think Jared Flood, the designer, only used two), Cascade Sierra - you can trade that with me! Smiley But seriously, you can do a couple top down vests, like the one designed by Grumperina that seems to suit almost every figure.

Malabrigo would make a nice plain jumper, or some balls could make a nice cowl for the fall.

For the sugar and cream, crank it out by making blankets, dishcloths or hats for babies and give 'em to charity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknitty
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007 04:06:17 AM »

Hehe, yeah I always have a "cheat sheet" with me with yardage needed for projects I want to make, or I get an impulse of "ooo this yarn would be great for this", only to forget what 'this' was later on...typical...hehe .

I have seen the Calmer book, but nothing jumped out at me in it (or at least not enough to buy the book. However, I do have plenty of books (Knit Cafe, Romantic Handknits, Fitted Knits, No sheep for You, etc.) to browse. I just get really inspired by other Craftsters and want to make half the stuff I see on here...lol. So many thing, so little time! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
How to Make a Cardboard Desk
How to Do Drag Queen Lips
How to Hide Natural Eyebrows With Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...