A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
853 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing your knitting projects HELP!  (Read 451 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fallencupid
« on: October 11, 2007 09:14:25 AM »

I'm coming to the end of my knitting project and will need to sew the seams soon. I am not the best hand sewer out there, and it's even worse when I try and sew my knitted projects with yarn. Are there any really good websites that tell you how to sew knitted pieces together? I've tried it myself before and mine looks like a 3 years old who was hyped up on sugar had sewn it. I've reuined a project before by sewing so badly--I do not want to ruin this project I am currently doing. Please help! Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittheory
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007 09:22:48 AM »

KnittingHelp has a few tutorials in the middle of this page:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

I've found the book The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman to be really helpful - it's short and focuses ONLY on sewing-up types of things, so it's pretty easy to get to the section you want.  Her instructions are really clear - I used it last night to help me sew up shoulder seams and they came out WAY nicer than I imagined!  I was able to find it at my public library, so I just go check it out whenever I want to refer to something.  But even if you can't get it somewhere free, I'd say it's a good investment if finishing is something that gives you trouble!  Good luck with the seams!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_rissa
I'm 26 and yes, I'm still a Girl Scout

an abomination of awesomeness

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007 09:27:44 AM »

If you have a sewing machine you could try running it through that.  All you need to do is put wax paper on the outside of you knitting so the feet on the machine doesn't shred it.  When your seam is done, gently (i can't stress that enough) pull off the wax paper.

If not, I second www.knittinghelp.co m and look for the video on mattress stitching.  It's free and just as good as paying for someone to teach you.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I told you how it tasted, you would never, ever again eat calamari."
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007 11:08:17 AM »

Machine sewing a knitted project doesn't have the same give as if you sew it with yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
fallencupid
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007 11:12:36 AM »

KnittingHelp has a few tutorials in the middle of this page:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

I've found the book The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman to be really helpful - it's short and focuses ONLY on sewing-up types of things, so it's pretty easy to get to the section you want.  Her instructions are really clear - I used it last night to help me sew up shoulder seams and they came out WAY nicer than I imagined!  I was able to find it at my public library, so I just go check it out whenever I want to refer to something.  But even if you can't get it somewhere free, I'd say it's a good investment if finishing is something that gives you trouble!  Good luck with the seams!

I saw that book too and flipped thru it momentarily. It looked pretty good. I totally forgot about it until you mentioned something. The town I live in is rather small so I don't think it will be at the library (unfortunately), but I'll have to look into purchasing it then. Thanks everyone for the info!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmdm
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007 08:46:28 AM »

You should try mattress stitch, instead of a regular sewing stitch, for knits. It's very neat, and not hard to do. There's a knitty article on it (with other sewing up tips) here -
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jints
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007 12:37:45 PM »

Yes, I second Mattress stitch. It's great and easy, as mmdm said. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
How to Use the Refine Edge in Photoshop
How to Use the Liquify Tool in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...