A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raw Silk Yarn...  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kungfu_crocheter
The Doctor's companion

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007 01:19:08 AM »

I just bought a couple skeins (or uh hanks... the twistee one) of some really beautiful raw silk yarn.  It's mostly red with a rainbow of different colors as well.  Now, I've never used this type of yarn... so I don't know how it works up.  It was an impulse buy, one of those "Oooo... so pretty!  I want want want it! I have no idea what it's for, but I must have it!"

So for anyone who has ever used this type of yarn before, any suggestions?  I have no idea what brand it is, the yardage or anything. Dug myself an interesting hole, eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007 04:33:36 PM »

I've personally never seen raw silk come in HUGE hanks so I am assuming you only have maybe 200 yrds or so? I personally would fins a stitch dictionary and chose a lovely open work stitch pattern and make a scarf or shawl or waist wrap with it. Something like a Solomon's knot or triple stranded lace or coronet ground. Silk will drape nicely, and with some more lacy open work pattern stitches you should have enough to create something special like a wrap, stole, scarf etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
1QueenofCrochet
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007 06:15:59 PM »

Without actually knowing or seeing it these are just guesses:

It could be slippery to work with (not all silk is but some is), try a larger hook or maybe even hairpin lace, don't leave it laying around if you have animals in the house.....for some reason my animals including the dogs just love the good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007 01:31:41 AM »

My mom gave me a bunch of yarn that's the edges of silk saris.  Multicolored.  She took some and knitted it with a matching acrylic yarn (she wasn't sure about the stability).  It turned out GREAT and I get compliments on it all the time.  It looks a bit like something imported from Tibet.

I know scarfs can be kind of non-exciting projects, but it's a quick way to show off a beautiful yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Ms.Jillian
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007 06:50:32 PM »

I love the recycled silk. I've made clutches with it, scarves, and i love to use it for edgings. The only problems that i find with it are that: it is a bitch to unravel and wind into a ball, do not even THINK of washing it (i learned that the hard way), and it often just breaks apart mid hank. Otherwise.... I love it and it looks amazing in a stitch as simple as a hdc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Condemned to hell for every sin but littering." -Sould Coughing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Jasmine Rice with Chicken in a Crock Pot
Learn About Oysters
How to Make a Santa Maria Tri Tip
Mandarin Orange Salad
Cheese Platters and Pairings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...