A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cobblestone Pullover anyone? IK Fall '07  (Read 5568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ratdogforever
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007 11:01:14 AM »

It's official! I am the tightest knitter in history.
I swatched with size 9 addis and got 19 stitches per inch. I'm going to run with it and make the 47" size (what he wants) and hope that it will come out closer to 46" or 45" (what I want).
I'm still not sure about the measurement, though, so I'm going to watch it closely and if it looks too big I'll frog it and start again in the 43" size.
Other than sizing worries, the knitting has been very satisfying. I really love this yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007 06:55:54 AM »

I'm considering making this. I think it could work as a top-down? What do you think?

*EDIT* Nevermind. I got WAY too confused.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007 07:59:28 AM by roxybritain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
mmdm
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007 04:59:33 AM »

I'm considering making this. I think it could work as a top-down? What do you think?

*EDIT* Nevermind. I got WAY too confused.

I'll be knitting it top-down when I do it. It makes it so much easier to try on as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007 06:38:48 AM »

I tried to figure out where to place markers and when to increase and all that, and it made my head swim Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shopdaughter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007 06:54:46 AM »

Here's my progress.  Not much more than before but I'm at the point where I have to start on the sleeves.  Slowly but surely I'll get this done by X-mas.  I wish I had the will power to do just 1 project at a time LOL

I wish I were smart enough to alter the pattern top down.  *sigh* maybe next time. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rottie Mom
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007 11:53:59 AM »

I tried to figure out where to place markers and when to increase and all that, and it made my head swim Smiley

I don't know if this helps, but an easy formula is:  of the total cast on stitches 1/3 for front, 1/3 for back, 1/6 each sleeve.  If the cast on total isn't divisible by six you just fudge an extra stitch or two to the front and/or back.  You place your markers at those points and increase every other row until you have enough stitches in the front and back to equal your bust size then you put on waste yarn and try it on.  If it's good then divide off the sleeves.

I always use the 1/3-1/6 formula for top downs and it has never failed me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rottie Mom
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007 12:14:23 PM »

THANKS!!!!!! That helps a lot!

Actually, I am going to make this for my dad, so I wouldn't be trying it on, although I suppose we're roughly the same size. But this helps a lot - now I can try to make other things top-down as well!

I found that formula on a blog ages ago I think it was Martian Mischief and ithas been the BEST thing I learned.

You can come up with all kinds of designs, with any kind of yarn.  The possibilities are endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007 12:24:39 PM »

Okay then... (sorry, long babbling here) so I'm going to make the size 43-ish one (and I'm making it for my dad, so I'm not worried about shaping beyond the raglan)... it looks like the collar is supposed to end with 76 stitches, so to make it divisible by six, I'm going to CO 78 instead and then knit 4 rounds. Then I'm going to divide it and place markers - 26, 13, 26, 13 (I think the math is right). Then it sounds like I just increase before and after each marker every other row (so, since it's garter, I'll knit, m1, k1, slip marker, k1, m1, then knit... and the purled rows are even) until the front and back together are about 200 sts (since the pattern says to CO 194 for the body alone). Then separate sleeves from the body.

Would I keep knitting in garter for just a little longer, or does the paneling begin right under the arms? I can't tell exactly. I think it begins right away?

Then I guess it's divided into 15-82-15-82 stitches for the front/back/sides, and work even 14 inches, then do 2 inches of garter stitch for the hem. Does that sound about right? Knitting geniuses, please help!

The sleeves I think I need help with, because I'm not sure how to work backwards on this one...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007 12:25:13 PM by roxybritain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007 08:24:54 PM »

shopdaughter> I love how that is knitting up!!! It will be georgeous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
mmdm
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007 04:51:21 AM »

Then I guess it's divided into 15-82-15-82 stitches for the front/back/sides, and work even 14 inches, then do 2 inches of garter stitch for the hem. Does that sound about right? Knitting geniuses, please help!

I don't have the pattern handy but I think this has some shortrows across the back at the bottom of the garter part. This is to raise the back neck and lower the front neck. Don't forget those! Sometimes these are done at the neck but I think I remember them being at the yoke bottom on this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Threads | T.I. Talks Clothing Line Akoo and Introduces Woman Line
Vivienne Westwood Gold Label - Paris Spring 2014 - Interviews & Runway
The 5 Must-Have Boots For Fall
How to Look Taller Instantly
Threads | A Look At The Crooks & Castles Fall and Spring Streetwear Lines
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...