A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cobblestone Pullover anyone? IK Fall '07  (Read 5063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shopdaughter
« on: October 08, 2007 10:37:39 AM »

I started this already, but would love for someone else to join me so I can get my tush in gear.  I'm using Cascade 220 Heathers color 9406 and size 8 addis.

Here's the bonus photo from the web http://www.interweaveknits.com/galleries/bonus/fall2007/flood.asp
And here's my progress
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 02:39:00 PM »

I love this sweater!!!
I can't make up my mind between this and the duster on the cover. But this one will probably win, considering how close we are getting to PRESENT TIME.
I'll check back when I've picked up some yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soubriquet
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 05:25:55 PM »

I'm in! My boyfriend idly mentioned how much he liked this pattern - seven times. Hopefully I'll have it done by our fourth anniversary at the end of January. I've bought seven skeins of gorgeous coffee colored Silky Wool off ebay. It's not as flecked and tweedy, but it has a subtly rich effect knitted up and it's one of C.'s favorite colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pen and paper : handcut silhouettes, original drawings, miniature paintings and many other whimsies
Tanja7301
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007 07:52:01 AM »

I would like to join but I cant get this ***** pattern here in austria. They dont import IK anymore.
ANY IDEAS???
Tanja
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time for art?
www.boukal.at
shopdaughter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007 04:04:49 PM »

Awesome!!  I'm glad there's interest!  I'm sure I'll need someone to hold my hand through the short rows  Roll Eyes  I want to make a deadline for myself on it so I know it'll be done before Christmas .  I always have so many projects going at one time. . .

ratdogforever ~ I contemplated the duster, too but it was WAAAYY too much stockinette for me to handle and DH really needs a sweater Wink

soubriquet ~ that's AWESOME that he actually hinted at it!!  It's a definite must make, then!!  Post a pic of the yarn, it sounds LOVELY!

Tanja ~ I pm'd you Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007 04:17:25 PM »

I was thinking of this sweater for the man in my life. I would love to join..... I too have tons of WIP's, but one more can't hurt. And he deserves it!
shopdaughter> love that colour!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.b logspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
shopdaughter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007 04:20:57 PM »

WOOT!!!  Just one more can never hurt LOL!!!

Thanks!  I love the color, too!  It's kind of a greeny blue  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catwhisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007 12:11:16 PM »

Count me in! I was hoping a KAL would get started for this pattern!  Grin

I'm using Classic Elite Skye Tweed in this dark green color...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
615bride
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007 01:05:15 PM »

I'll be watching this thread.... My IK Fall '07 is on its way to me (I traded for it in a swap!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shopdaughter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007 08:11:31 AM »

Have any of you started?  I have about 4 more inches of the body b4 I start on the sleeves, I'm not even going to post a progress pic b/c it doesn't look much different than above LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007 03:43:45 PM »

ratdogforever ~ I contemplated the duster, too but it was WAAAYY too much stockinette for me to handle and DH really needs a sweater Wink

I knoooow!  Tongue
That made up my mind. I'm putting the BF before myself...I just have to find some decent yarn. I've pretty much decided on Cascade 220 Heathers in color 2446...it's a very nice olive green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007 11:07:20 PM »

Have you guys calculated the amout of Cascade 220 that.............. wait, OF COURSE you have. So how much Cascade are you planning on using? I notice that the original pattern calls for another yarn.... sooooooo, what did you come up with?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
mmdm
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007 07:31:13 AM »

I really want to make this sweater for myself, as a sort of sweatshirt alternative. Maybe with a bit of waist shaping, or possibly more tunic shaped. Other things to finish first, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007 08:48:25 AM »

Have you guys calculated the amout of Cascade 220 that.............. wait, OF COURSE you have. So how much Cascade are you planning on using? I notice that the original pattern calls for another yarn.... sooooooo, what did you come up with?  Wink
Cascade 220 has twice the yardage per skein than the yarn called for, so I just halved the amount. I'm making the medium? I think? Whichever calls for 14 skeins. I ordered 7 plus one more to be safe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007 02:19:50 PM »

ratdogforever> thanks so much for that info!! I have a LYS that sells Cascade 220 in some awesome shades, maybe the same one you are using! Wink
I am super excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007 05:02:43 PM »

I LOVE this sweater!  I wish my husband would wear sweaters - he'll only wear super light weight sweaters in cotton blends.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
shopdaughter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007 09:39:45 PM »

You could TOTALLY do it in a worsted cotton!  Or, depending on the size you'd need to make, you could make a larger size in a lighter weight yarn, like maybe a sport weight cotton? 

SilvrIlix ~ what ratdogforever said is right on the money.  Double the yardage and it's fairly inexpensive for an AWESOME yarn with many many many color choices. 

Progress update ~ I'm at the part where I need to put the garter sts on scrap yarn and start on the sleeves.  This is where I'm sure I'm be slow as molasses.  I just don't wanna do the sleeves LOL  It doesn't help that I'm working on Girlfriend's Swing Coat http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/2005/08/draft_7.html and the Argosy scarf http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html
At least I'm not getting too bored LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007 09:04:32 AM »

My yarn came today and it is PERFECT.
My boyfriend dropped me off at my office this morning and when I saw the package by my door, I ran back outside and yelled "your yarn is here!!"
He did a really good job of acting excited.
I expect I'll swatch it this evening and cast on by tomorrow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shopdaughter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007 09:58:14 AM »

Holy moly!!  That was quick shipping!  Where did you get it from???  I saw the color you picked and it's beautiful!!!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007 11:15:40 AM »

I got it through Amazon from a place called Alpaca Direct...they had the best prices I could find and the shipping was SUPER quick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratdogforever
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007 11:01:14 AM »

It's official! I am the tightest knitter in history.
I swatched with size 9 addis and got 19 stitches per inch. I'm going to run with it and make the 47" size (what he wants) and hope that it will come out closer to 46" or 45" (what I want).
I'm still not sure about the measurement, though, so I'm going to watch it closely and if it looks too big I'll frog it and start again in the 43" size.
Other than sizing worries, the knitting has been very satisfying. I really love this yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007 06:55:54 AM »

I'm considering making this. I think it could work as a top-down? What do you think?

*EDIT* Nevermind. I got WAY too confused.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007 07:59:28 AM by roxybritain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
mmdm
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007 04:59:33 AM »

I'm considering making this. I think it could work as a top-down? What do you think?

*EDIT* Nevermind. I got WAY too confused.

I'll be knitting it top-down when I do it. It makes it so much easier to try on as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007 06:38:48 AM »

I tried to figure out where to place markers and when to increase and all that, and it made my head swim Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shopdaughter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007 06:54:46 AM »

Here's my progress.  Not much more than before but I'm at the point where I have to start on the sleeves.  Slowly but surely I'll get this done by X-mas.  I wish I had the will power to do just 1 project at a time LOL

I wish I were smart enough to alter the pattern top down.  *sigh* maybe next time. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rottie Mom
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007 11:53:59 AM »

I tried to figure out where to place markers and when to increase and all that, and it made my head swim Smiley

I don't know if this helps, but an easy formula is:  of the total cast on stitches 1/3 for front, 1/3 for back, 1/6 each sleeve.  If the cast on total isn't divisible by six you just fudge an extra stitch or two to the front and/or back.  You place your markers at those points and increase every other row until you have enough stitches in the front and back to equal your bust size then you put on waste yarn and try it on.  If it's good then divide off the sleeves.

I always use the 1/3-1/6 formula for top downs and it has never failed me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rottie Mom
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007 12:14:23 PM »

THANKS!!!!!! That helps a lot!

Actually, I am going to make this for my dad, so I wouldn't be trying it on, although I suppose we're roughly the same size. But this helps a lot - now I can try to make other things top-down as well!

I found that formula on a blog ages ago I think it was Martian Mischief and ithas been the BEST thing I learned.

You can come up with all kinds of designs, with any kind of yarn.  The possibilities are endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007 12:24:39 PM »

Okay then... (sorry, long babbling here) so I'm going to make the size 43-ish one (and I'm making it for my dad, so I'm not worried about shaping beyond the raglan)... it looks like the collar is supposed to end with 76 stitches, so to make it divisible by six, I'm going to CO 78 instead and then knit 4 rounds. Then I'm going to divide it and place markers - 26, 13, 26, 13 (I think the math is right). Then it sounds like I just increase before and after each marker every other row (so, since it's garter, I'll knit, m1, k1, slip marker, k1, m1, then knit... and the purled rows are even) until the front and back together are about 200 sts (since the pattern says to CO 194 for the body alone). Then separate sleeves from the body.

Would I keep knitting in garter for just a little longer, or does the paneling begin right under the arms? I can't tell exactly. I think it begins right away?

Then I guess it's divided into 15-82-15-82 stitches for the front/back/sides, and work even 14 inches, then do 2 inches of garter stitch for the hem. Does that sound about right? Knitting geniuses, please help!

The sleeves I think I need help with, because I'm not sure how to work backwards on this one...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007 12:25:13 PM by roxybritain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007 08:24:54 PM »

shopdaughter> I love how that is knitting up!!! It will be georgeous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmdm
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007 04:51:21 AM »

Then I guess it's divided into 15-82-15-82 stitches for the front/back/sides, and work even 14 inches, then do 2 inches of garter stitch for the hem. Does that sound about right? Knitting geniuses, please help!

I don't have the pattern handy but I think this has some shortrows across the back at the bottom of the garter part. This is to raise the back neck and lower the front neck. Don't forget those! Sometimes these are done at the neck but I think I remember them being at the yoke bottom on this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratdogforever
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007 11:30:54 AM »

The short rows are definitely at the bottom of the yoke. I'm a short row virgin and I think I might need to read up or practice on a tiny sock before diving in to the yoke section of the sweater.
Or I could just dive in without any practice at all and see how it goes.
I am loving how my sweater is knitting up, by the way. I decided to frog and do a little math to get a size between 43 and 47 inches. I'll be knitting the larger size sleeves. I'm hoping it will fit just right considering he is mediumish and has broad shoulders.
I would show you guys a picture, but my camera is being held hostage in my friend's apartment....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shopdaughter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007 08:53:23 PM »

How is everyone doing on this?  I haven't touched mine in weeks  Cry  On the upside, my house is organized LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008 06:15:47 PM »

Hey Cobblestone fans, pattern is now available as a PDF at the Knitting Daily Pattern store. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008 07:10:02 PM »

I really should run this pattern past the men in my life to see if it will be a hit! I really want to make this one! Can't wait to see how they are turning out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meginski
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008 08:18:03 PM »

I think I might take a stab at this one, too.  My boyfriend likes it a lot, and if I start now, I might get it done by our fourth anniversary in April. I am worried about the sweater curse, though. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Is there a way I can curse-proof the sweater? Or is knitting him a sweater he likes make it curse-proofed to begin with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shopdaughter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008 09:51:39 PM »

I finished mine just before Christmas.  I've been neglecting craftster due to ravelry so I never posted pics, but here they are Wink
I wish you could see the detail better, but of course I had to pick a dark color  Roll Eyes  DH does like it, though, and of course he's a goof. . .

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 2
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 1
The Coolest Crop Tops of 2013
Stretching Your Dollar: Great Affordable Gifts
Holiday Party Dresses from Boohoo
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...