A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: intarsia in the round ?  (Read 1510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2004 09:35:42 AM »

hey everyone! This is not a SNB project, but I am attached to y'all so I hope you don't mind me asking my question here...
I am using SNB's intarsia instructions to make a Christmas stocking for my 6 mo old daughter that has elmo wearing a Christmas hat on it. I'm working it in the round so I have less finishing at the end (on dpns though so the heel and toe are easy to do) but I'm confused...

SNB says that when working with 1 block of color, there should be 3 strands, 1 for before the block of color, 1 for the block of color itself, and then 1 for after the block of color. How does this translate when working in the round? I have so far just been cutting my ends whenever I come to the color and starting fresh on the other side, however, if possible, I would like to have fewer ends to weave in when done. Any thoughts?

TIA, katie

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004 12:08:19 PM »

Here's  the best description of intarsia in the round that I've been able to find. It may sound a bit complicated at first, but once you get the swing of it it's actually quite easy. Just have to be sure your tension is tight when you change directions.

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004 04:51:11 AM »

Another consideration:

Knit from beginning of round, knit your motif, then knit back around until you get to the motif again.  You won't be able to knit the motif because it's on the wrong side, correct?  Turn your work so you're looking at the inside (don't actually turn the stocking inside out, just flip it around), slip all your MC stitches back until you get to the wrong side of the motif, purl the motif sts, then purl your MC stitches all the way back around to your motif.  Turn your work, slip all your MC stitches until you get back to the motif, the knit the motif, then knit the MC stitches.

Priscilla Gibson Roberts explains this best in her book:  Simple socks, plain and fancy.  The nice thing about this method is there is no appearance of a seam whatsoever.  Any time I do intarsia on a sock, I do it this way and have always been happy with the results.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004 04:53:44 PM »

before I learned there were better ways, my quick-and-easy technique for doing this was to knit with the MC, then switch to the CC, just like flat intarsia.  after each row, when the CC part was done, I would just break the yarn, then make another little patch when I got back around on the next round.  does that make sense?  it demands a bit of weaving, tucking, and tying on the inside to finish it off, but it does accomplish the result.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rib ‘n Chicken Spice Rub Recipe
How to make a Vegetable Egg Bake Recipe
Cheezy Quackers Recipe
How to Make Gourmet Mac and Cheese
How to Make Grilled Summer Lemon Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...