A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elann's Luna Moth Shawl  (Read 1049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missknitty
« on: October 08, 2007 04:43:47 AM »

I might have an aha-moment at some point, but I'm asking anyways:

When the pattern gets past the base rows (past row 34) it says to work the pattern repeat as many times as necessary. (you're supposed to repeat rows 15-34 5-6 more times). My question is how do I know when to work in those repeats? It may seem silly, but since there are several stitches both before and after the repeat itself, I'm currently at a loss as to how that repeat will fit in. Huh

http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=228024

Has anyone knitted this one (I didn't find it in the Knitalong section) and can clarify for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missknitty
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 01:15:43 PM »

I still have not had that aha-moment - I do need help. Sigh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellygirlknits
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 01:25:50 PM »

I haven't knit this shawl, but did make SK's Sun Ray. Typically, you keep the extra stitches in the queue at the beginning and end of the section. You will incorporate these extra stitches into the lace pattern once you have enough to complete a full repeat of the lace pattern. Does this make sense? There's also a Elann Shawl KAL that might have some tips. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknitty
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 05:09:14 PM »

It does - somewhat. Wink I'll try to find the KAL, too. I've actually taped some graph paper together and I started charting it out. VERY tedious, but it may work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 06:01:40 PM »

I might have an aha-moment at some point, but I'm asking anyways:

When the pattern gets past the base rows (past row 34) it says to work the pattern repeat as many times as necessary. (you're supposed to repeat rows 15-34 5-6 more times). My question is how do I know when to work in those repeats? It may seem silly, but since there are several stitches both before and after the repeat itself, I'm currently at a loss as to how that repeat will fit in. Huh

http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=228024

Has anyone knitted this one (I didn't find it in the Knitalong section) and can clarify for me?

See on chart 2 there's some stitches in a box labeled '10 stitch repeat' ?
Start at the beginning of the row and do the stitches before the '10 stitch repeat' box. Keep repeating that '10 stitch repeat' box until you have just enough stitches left to get to the center stitch. Knit the stitches after the '10 stitch repeat' box and the center stitch. Knit the stitches after the center stitch until you get to the next '10 stitch repeat' box. Repeat that '10 stitch repeat' box until you have just enough stitches to finish the row. Finish the row.

Do the next row.
And the next. and the next. and the next....

HTH
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007 06:03:35 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

missknitty
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 06:13:50 PM »

LOL that made me crack up Grin I'm printing that out and taking it to my knitting chair - seriously! I've been searching craftster for almost an hour now, so I'm all brainfried. I shall delve into this again tomorrow, and if that fails, I spotted a couple of people I'll pm on here (that have knitted this one). I think my brain will be able to proccess these instr in the morning, though. Thanks a bunch!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellygirlknits
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 06:33:22 PM »

There's a chart for the Luna Moth in the Elann free pattern section (for the Callista yarn version.) Did you print out that version of the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknitty
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007 06:57:22 PM »

Yep, I did - my brain just went numb after finishing the initial 34 rows. I think ThreadOrYarn explained it sufficiently, though, so I'll get crackin in that tomorrow. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vickilicious
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007 09:15:14 PM »

I'm so glad you asked this question because I had just reached a similar point in the Sun Ray Shawl. Thanks to those who replied - you've helped two knitters in one night!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missknitty
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007 05:20:53 AM »

Hehe, I did look at the Sun Ray as well, but chose the Luna because it's supposed to be easier - pattern looks very similar to me, though. Wink  And just an fyi; when I was charting the pattern out, I did get the same result as ThreadorYarn explained here (after checking), so she explained it pretty well, IMO. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Stylish Olympic Gymnast Updo
Hair How To: The Fish Tail Braid
How to Do a 1960s Hairstyle
How to Style Festival Hair
How to Do a Rockabilly Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...