A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paton'sUrbanAran/Jareds Cardi OR IK Cobblestone - No chance for pattern here  (Read 827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tanja7301
« on: October 08, 2007 03:09:27 AM »

Hi!
I am definitely sure that my boyfriend would like this for his birthday (Mid november). But here starts the trouble.
see http://www.flickr.com/photos/68971937@N00/134463733/
Even if I could make the changes (seems not to hard to do) I cant get the pattern here in Austria. Even if I could find one via internet, it would take to long or otherwise would be to expensive to order from US.
Any idea for similar looking pattern or possibility to get that pattern?
Thanks
Tanja
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007 07:28:03 AM by Tanja7301 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time for art?
www.boukal.at
PrettyCranium
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 06:51:23 AM »

What about this pattern from Hello Yarn -- I just saw it in another thread:

http://www.helloyarn.com/cyclingaran.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanja7301
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 07:26:14 AM »

Nice Pattern, but not as nice as Jareds Cardi. I really love all his designs. But -bad luck for me - Its even not possible to get the IK fall with the cobblestone pullover in Austria. They stopped to import the magazin... Its so hard to get stylish knits for men!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time for art?
www.boukal.at
knitknitter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 08:36:36 AM »

Nice Pattern, but not as nice as Jareds Cardi. I really love all his designs. But -bad luck for me - Its even not possible to get the IK fall with the cobblestone pullover in Austria. They stopped to import the magazin... Its so hard to get stylish knits for men!
This is one of the main reasons why I believe that these knitting companies should start offering their magazines online, IK would make so much money if they did this.

Now, back to the topic. Jared is a big Elizabeth Zimmerman fan. His pattern is basically a modification of a yoke pullover. Garter stitch has been placed at strategic area as a design feature. I would buy one of EZ's books off of Amazon - you can get Knitting Without Tears, for instance off of Amazon UK and Amazon US ships everywhere - and would then adapt her yoke cardigan to be similar to the Cobblestone pullover.

Even better yet, there is probably a free yoke pullover pattern floating somewhere out on the Internet.

Finally, consider checking eBay for these patterns. People in eBay will normally ship internationally.

HTH and let us know how you get on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 08:14:51 PM »

I'm not sure where the pattern is from, but you mentioned IK - they do ship internationally, if you want to subscribe. I live in Thailand and just renewed my subscription for the second time ... and anyone who ships to Asia will usually ship to Europe for sure (generally they ship to Europe but NOT Asia!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007 07:54:23 AM »

This is one of the main reasons why I believe that these knitting companies should start offering their magazines online, IK would make so much money if they did this.

Actually, Interweave does sell their stuff online.  They just sold out of the Fall 2007 issue already. :/

Tanja, I suggest contacting Jared directly.  Perhaps he will sell you the pattern & send it by e-mail? www.brooklyntweed.n et
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007 07:55:04 AM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknitter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007 01:15:08 PM »

Actually, Interweave does sell their stuff online.  They just sold out of the Fall 2007 issue already. :/
By selling online, I mean selling pattern downloads like Lion Brand and other companies do. You still have to have a paper product, which IMO is not good for the environment, because of all of the fuel that needs to be spent transporting magazines and the paper. I am not saying completely do away with paper magazines, but having online downloads would be good for the environment and help people who dont live in the states and dont want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs for shipping magazines overseas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007 02:57:26 PM »

I am not saying completely do away with paper magazines, but having online downloads would be good for the environment and help people who dont live in the states and dont want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs for shipping magazines overseas.

A lot of designers don't allow it because of piracy concerns.  I really wanted a particular pattern by Blue Sky Alpacas that no one had locally, but the online retailer had to mail it to me because the company wouldn't let her sell it electronically.  They're afraid that if they do offer them electronically, they'll turn up on, well, places like Craftster and then people will stop buying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitknitter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007 08:10:54 AM »

I am not saying completely do away with paper magazines, but having online downloads would be good for the environment and help people who dont live in the states and dont want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs for shipping magazines overseas.

A lot of designers don't allow it because of piracy concerns.  I really wanted a particular pattern by Blue Sky Alpacas that no one had locally, but the online retailer had to mail it to me because the company wouldn't let her sell it electronically.  They're afraid that if they do offer them electronically, they'll turn up on, well, places like Craftster and then people will stop buying.
I know about this as I have heard the same thing. However, legitimate sights like Craftster do not allow copyrighted patterns to be posted. Also, an enterprising person could easily scan in the patterns and make a PDF of them, so these designers have to think of a more clever way to combat pirating than selling only paper patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
discoprincess
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007 04:04:48 PM »

By selling online, I mean selling pattern downloads like Lion Brand and other companies do. You still have to have a paper product, which IMO is not good for the environment, because of all of the fuel that needs to be spent transporting magazines and the paper. I am not saying completely do away with paper magazines, but having online downloads would be good for the environment and help people who dont live in the states and dont want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs for shipping magazines overseas.

I totally support this idea. I think that we consume toooooo much and printing a whole magazine is really out dated. To be honest, I think twice if I can't buy it electronically. I have not bought alot of patterns for this exact reasons when I can buy an electronic copy of one somewhere else on the net.

I work for a major environmental company based out of the US. And I can't believe that people think we have time left when it comes to the environment. WE DON"T.

Printing a single electronic copy is not pirating if I paid for it. Think about it: If I pay $5 US dollars for a single pattern versus $8CDN for a whole magazine...aren't you going to make MORE MONEY off single pattern purchase PLUS do the right thing for the environment?

YUP

sorry for the thread jack. I must say I just discovered jared this weekend. He is very talented Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
The Freedom Tower Rises: Rebuilding 1 World Trade Center
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...