A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Hand Muffler Pattern? (and how to make cheap yarn look more expensive ti  (Read 4665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alyce1611
« on: October 07, 2007 07:48:27 PM »

I am looking for a muffler pattern, but all I find when i type in the word, is scarf patterns. My grandmother used to call scarves mufflers so I understand but I am looking for the kind little girls used to use to keep their hands warm. I grew up in the 70's and she actually made us some
(she was also the most amazing sewer and sewed us all faux fur coats with hand mufflers to match those too!). But I no longer have one to copy.

I think a basic tube could suffice, but I wouldn't want it to be too loose. My sister and I had crocheted and fabric ones, some had a strap that hung from your neck so you just could pop your hands in anytime. I's like to make a crocheted one for my 6 yr old niece who is sucha  girly girl and would love one. Any patterns? Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips! Speaking of which and also of my dear grandmother, she had a depression-era tip for making "cheap" yarn look more expensive or luxurious (if this tip is widely known, forgive me for re-posting!);
When yarns were very expensive during the depression, my grandmother would get whatever yarn she could, often not the highest quality (in looks anyway). she would crochet or knit something in very basic stitches like single or double crochet, using fairly tight stitches. When done, she would very carefully, use a hairbrush to brush the yarn. She could make Woolworth yarn look more like mohair. In years to follow she would still use this method (especially on small items like hats) to make yarn just look more sophisticated. It works really well using a plain old nylon brush but NOT THE KIND THAT HAS THE LITTLE PLASTIC BALLS ON THE END OF THE BRISTLE TIPS! Those will pull out your stitches. Recently I used this method to make some leaves I crocheted for a scarflette, look better when compared to the more expensive yarn I used for the flowers they surrounded. If you go to far you can trim the "fluff" with a small scissor so easily. Sometimes the item also feels softer, but this is on a yarn by yarn basis. Smiley Hope you enjoy the tip!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 07:50:16 PM by alyce1611 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 08:39:24 PM »

I would think a double layer tube would be better than a single tube.  and if you made the outside tube bigger, you could stuff the inside layer with filling to make it warmer.  And I think if you used as smaller than recommended hook would make a nice dense fabric, which would be pretty warm.

I've heard of brushing yarn before, but I didn't know why people would.  Maybe I'll try it sometime (i have lots of cheap acrylic laying around).  Thanks for the tips and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 04:37:27 AM »

First, for the muffler - All I have are knitting patterns, but what you could do is the outside in a "cheapy" yarn, like RH SS, either flat or round, then FO and attach a second yarn with a tighter guage and better (read warmer) quality - maybe a WW held with a fur yarn ? and make that tube on both sides, then push inside the first tube. That would also let you have the layers for extra insulation.

I brush the inside of my mittens. Makes them warmer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 04:48:54 AM »

What you want is a muff rather than a muffler --- I know it might sound like a dangerous search Smiley, but when I typed in knit muff in google - first thing was a knitty pattern for what you are looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 10:19:27 AM »

I would say crochet a tube the size you want then maybe line it with fleece for warmth and fun fur or something like that can give it the girly effect for a trim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_ruin
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 03:02:57 PM »

I found this pattern for a muff on lion brand, you need to sign up though.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/pierrotBeretAndMuff.html?noImages=

Just scroll to the bottom for the crochet pattern for the muff, because theres a knit and crochet pattern there for it.  Also try searching muff or mitten on the site, i think i seen more besides this one there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alyce1611
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 03:24:41 PM »

Thanks for all the great helpful replies and suggestions! I didn't think of lining or a double layer before. Now that you mention it, "muff" sounds more like it, though yes, must add "crochet" (or knit) before the word when Googling! I never thought to brush the insides of mitten but that too sounds like a good idea. It really does spruce up the cheapie stuff you have bits and pieces of. I signed up to Lionbrand so i will be checking that pattern too. Again thanks:o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flybabytina
I'm a long haired, barefoot, crocheting momma

Professional Pumpkin Sculpter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007 06:42:19 AM »

This one isn't crocheted, it is made on the Knifty Knitter http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/BK4K-0701005.html I love using my Knifty Knitters, they are so easy and fun!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy store now! - http://flybabytina.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Chic Friendship Bracelets
DIY Gift Idea: How to Customize Mugs
DIY Gift Idea: BFF Phone Cases
DIY Gift Idea: Glittery, Customized Candles
DIY Gift Idea: Fun Duct Tape Frame
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...