A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Pocahontas Costume?  (Read 51256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owl be there
« on: October 07, 2007 06:35:28 PM »

Ok so for halloween I want to be Pocahontas (from the Disney movie) because I looove that movie...anyways I think I can probably figure out the dress...its pretty simple but I don't know what to make the necklace out of...I could make the white part out of polymer clay but does anyone have any ideas for the blue part?

If any of you have seen the movie the part where her necklace breaks you can kind of see that its a bunch of square -ish beads (sorry I can't find a picture of it) - but I have no idea how to do that??  

I guess I could do polymer clay but I don't know if i could get the shapes right?

Any Ideas?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 06:38:23 PM by owl be there » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveoctopus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 06:54:48 PM »

i don't know if you crochet or knit, but you could perhaps work something out with one or the other to make the general shape =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 06:56:54 PM »

Perhaps you could make some veerry large beads, four (maybe six), that would connect in that shape. You'd probably have to use memory wire bent at the corners. In theory, it could work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
sprinklez
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 06:59:15 PM »

I'd also suggest making a few big beads out of clay to connect in that shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owl be there
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 07:04:59 PM »

holy cow you guys are fast!

I dont actually crochet or knit (well once i knit a scarf...a loong time ago) but Ill try what you guys suggested
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007 07:05:33 PM »

I know you'd want it to be more shell/bead like, but what about fabric? If you got some of that heavy duty interfacing and cut it into the shape and wrapped it in fabric. Or something along those lines. Just throwing it out there. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
sugarpumpkin
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007 07:06:09 PM »

maybe if you know how to you could do some wood-working. get some trim or something thats rounded on the top but flat on the back and use polymer clay for the connecting pieces in the corners?
you could get a lightweight wood so it wouldnt be too heavy and then use polymer clay for the pendant like you suggested
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
ThaADDcrafter
Slowly losing my mind at a fairly rapid pace... yup

ARRRRRRRRRR par me unnudder! *pour me another**

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007 07:09:55 PM »

for temporary and so not as nice, but might get the job done ..kinda stuff... maybe straws wedged between cardboard then wrapped in paper and painted...or wrapped in aqua tissue paper?..... I dont know if it would be what your looking for though. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladybuggems
Keepin' outta trouble

I like shiny things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007 07:28:48 PM »

What about paper (papier) mache? People make some really amazing stuff out of it, plus it's cheap and fairly easy. Here's a link to a butterfly necklace made with paper mache: http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=521

That necklace seems more ornate/difficult that the one you are trying to recreate, so it seems like you should be able to accomplish that. 

Plus it would be pretty light which would be a plus with the size/bulk of the Pocahontas necklace.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 07:30:22 PM by ladybuggems » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My current obsessions: "More Cheap Thrills"
http://ladybuggems.com/blog

Unique chain maille and wire wrapped jewelry: http://ladybuggems.com
[10% off with coupon code CRAFTSTER]
bingeandpurge
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007 07:35:39 PM »

I second the paper mach.  It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and just about any shape is possible.  It might help to have a base for the mach, cardboard or wire or something in the basic shape of the necklace, then use the mach to round the edges and make it look nice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Light Wedding Images
How to Create a Portrait With One Light
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 2/2
Six Lies About Digital Photography
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...