A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Learn Along (First-ish Projects?)  (Read 5989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2007 06:22:21 PM »

Anyone working on their first or second crochet projects? Crochet and learn along with me. I'm working on my second project, a winter hat for my toddler. I'm using Lion Brand Jiffy in caffe and dusty pink . My first project was a monstrosity of an iPod Cozy LOL.

Anyone else? What are you working on? What yarn are you using? How is it going?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 06:39:51 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ramsie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Novelty tattooist...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007 04:05:35 PM »

I bought an amigurumi book and I've attempted two patterns so far. I'm having a hard time fully understanding the patterns because everything I try has a very pointy head. and turns out way bigger than it should be. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007 10:00:36 PM »

LOL! I can't read patterns to save my life. What I have been doing is writing them out in plain english. IE writing out chain instead of sc and slip stitch instead of sl st. It's been less confusing so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnsierra
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007 02:12:13 PM »

LOL! I can't read patterns to save my life. What I have been doing is writing them out in plain english. IE writing out chain instead of sc and slip stitch instead of sl st. It's been less confusing so far.

lol!
Wow.. I did the EXACT same thing when I was first trying to figure patterns out. I don't anymore but I still have a very hard time trying to figure out some patterns (even when they claim to be "beginner.") A recent attempt at a "fast" and "easy" afghan pattern nearly had me in tears.  Sad

I would say I'm still a crochet noob but I have managed to make...

some bookmarks, some snowflakes (need to make more, ran out of white crochet thread), a scarf, 4 small bags, 2 pairs of booties, 2 baby hats, 1 pair baby mittens, 2 potholders, 1 chihuahua sweater, a pile of granny squares (waiting to be a blanket) and a chevron blanket which is my current work in progress

Well gosh.. ya know when I write it down it actually looks like I'm fairly experienced after all. haha Keeping in mind though most of that is all crap...  Wink
You've got to start somewhere though.  Grin

I wouldn't mind joining in on a crochet along for beginners. Only thing is.. I don't have a camera to show off my work.. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007 09:28:15 AM »

I've tried to make several hats, and they all turn out way small or to big and the last one I attempeted never got longer so i just had a huge doily. Idk what happened. I can read patterns just fine (I think) since I'm a really good knitter. I'm working on another beanie with a brim, So far its good, but I'm only two rows in
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sassenach_Mel

Weasley is my King

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007 07:52:43 PM »

I would be interested in joining a Learn Along. Smiley I taught myself crocheting this summer and have been on-again/off-again depending on time, etc.  Mainly doing afghans b/c they're the easiest! LOL   Grin Want to make a cute hat and sweater set for my niece for xmas (she'll be almost 4 mos then).  So, as soon as I get a pattern, I'm in!
~Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for those rubberband bracelets for causes! PM me!
Sassenach_Mel

Weasley is my King

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007 04:10:04 PM »

OK, I'm starting a few of my Christmas presents and the first one is pocket scarf.  It was a Red Heart free project sheet from Walmart or something. I had it in with my stash of patterns - always planning!  It's really cute, just like a scarf, but the ends of folded like pockets.  I think it will make a great gift for a few of my friends. Smiley Bought the yarn last night and started - looks good already! If this first one turns out, I'll make a couple more, before switching projects.  I'll post pics when I'm done!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for those rubberband bracelets for causes! PM me!
lilyla19
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 02:33:24 AM »

I'm onto my first project. Arigurumi seal pattern from here in craftster.

Only got the head done. I have no idea what it going to turn out as..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsLewis907
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007 11:46:09 AM »

I am attempting my 3rd project (also the 3rd Christmas gift to be made). I taught myself how to crochet recently. I have made 2 scarves, attempted a hat which didn't turn out right, and am trying to start a 3rd scarf, but am having a little difficulties.

This scarf, I am not using a pattern (the same way I did the other 2), but the yarns that I am using are just being difficult. I'm trying to use both ends of the skein, and that's always tough for me, plus, one is turning out to be thicker than the other (I'm trying to do stripes) and I'm not liking how its working out. I've pulled it out 3 times, and then gave up for the moment. I really want to get a yarn winder, that would eliminate a lot of my stressors at this moment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquirtleSquad
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007 12:57:28 PM »

I'm on my first project. It's a simply single crochet stitch scarf.. but let me tell you, I am crochet impaired or somethin'. I've managed to make mistakes I didn't even think were possible (like unweaving the yarn, twisting the entire thing, crazy problems with tension, etc)..

It took literally foreverrr to figure how to get the yarn to stay inside the hook... =\
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquirtleSquad
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007 01:29:20 PM »

oh oh! This is a good place to ask!

Is anyone having problems with curling? I just realized I haven't been chaining or skipping loops at the beginning of each row.. Which I know think may be causing the problem. But I can't seem to get it to stop curling Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lymabeans

I do the best imitation of myself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008 10:07:17 PM »

Is anyone still interested in doing a "learn along"? I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. (I'm an obsessed knitter!  Cheesy) I learned the very very basics when I was little, but I barely remember how to do anything anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When all else fails, blame it on the Great English Vowel Shift."
Katinspace
Love love me do, you know I love you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008 05:57:53 PM »

I've only made diagonal scarves (some how I manage to pick up stitches at one end and drop them at the other Smiley ) I brought two books yesterday to try to learn another stitch than chain and there are photos and all and I just can't work it out! I think I'm going to have to get some in-person help. Smiley I would be up for a learn along but I think if you're an accomplished knitter than you're going to do just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay
TeaJoyGreye

IndieDyer, KnitterCrocheter, JewelryArtist, Sewist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008 07:12:46 PM »

I'm a beginner crochet-er long time beader and if you go to the FAQ's page http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67287.0 I found the NexStitch video links to be very helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamwiccan
Legend Of Crafts: Hero Of Time

"Oh no, did I hit crazy stairs?"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008 10:20:18 AM »

I know this is a bit late but if anybody is still intrested in a learn along PM me =] we can do the same pattern and stuff. this will be my first crochet project so i want it to be an easy one lol. i can do pretty much any stitch in theory [and a swatch] but i havent actually made a project though =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008 02:03:14 PM »

Gah. I'm even having problems with the different stitches. I'm probably doomed at crocheting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamwiccan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008 03:57:20 PM »

why dont we crochet along webcam style lol to help each other?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008 07:19:01 PM »

I feel so accomplished! I think that I figured out single crochet. There is NO stopping me now.  Cheesy

Does it look right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008 07:23:55 PM »

...nevermind. I just watched the nexstitch video. I don't think that I'm doing it right. At this point, webcam tutoral might be the only thing that'll actually do it! haha.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008 08:03:48 PM by lymabeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008 08:26:09 PM »

It actually looks like knitting! I like it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008 10:02:26 PM »

It actually looks like knitting! I like it! Cheesy

I know! That's what I was thinking. (Which also made me realize that I was doing it wrong. heh.) Anyway, I'm still trying to figure it out in my spare time, but I think I've got it this time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008 01:55:52 AM »

I think you're inserting your hook into the back loops only, instead of under both, but I might be wrong, I'm new also, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
kateelizabee
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008 10:27:35 AM »

I think I need to join this learn-along!

I'm a knitter trying to teach myself crochet and man I'm having a hard time.  My friends debate which is harder, but at the moment I think crochet is the devil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dotsamantha

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008 05:34:55 PM »

I had a pretty difficult time with both at first. I'm very left handed and I've been determined to learn the "regular" way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008 05:49:37 PM »

Hurrah! Another knitter learning crochet. kateelizabee, I think that crochet is the the devil right now too. 

Anyway, I can make a chain no problem. However, I'm not sure what loop to stick my hook through to do anything else.  When you knit, it's just the next stitch on the needle. I can't figure out where the "next stitch" is when I crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeaJoyGreye

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008 07:35:44 PM »

you skip one chain and start with the next... on every row you always have one chain that is your turn. so... if you finish a row ... you've done your last stitch... you then add a chain to make your turn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kateelizabee
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008 06:13:20 AM »

Lymabean, I think that was the part I'm having the most trouble with, that and when to make a 'starting' chain.

Is anyone else doing the '12 square crochet along'?  Since learning to crochet is my New Year's resoltuion, I thought it would be a good way to see my progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008 06:37:25 AM »

I would LOVE to do that crochet-a-long, but it might be a while before I'm ready for even that. heh.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008 07:45:33 AM »

I know this'll look silly, but I'll try
"o" = chain (ch)
"x" = single crochet (sc)

third row:           xxxxxxxxxo
second sc row:   oxxxxxxxxx
first sc row:       xxxxxxxxxo
foundation row: oooooooooo

Soooo... With my terrible "picture"  Roll Eyes , after you do your foundation row plus one turning chain, you turn the chain like stockinette and make the first sc into the second chain from the hook. You can make the turning chain before or after you turn, doesn't matter, but each new row begins in the second stitch or chain or else you'll increase by one every row. I have no idea if that helped or made it worse, lol. Nexstitch has awesome videos, as does youtube. Infinitely better than my art up there, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamwiccan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008 08:54:40 AM »

oh um.. i hav a pattern that says crochet into back loop and i hav no idea what that means... i made the pattern but it sucks because i didnt crochet into the back loop lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008 10:08:16 AM »

Hurrah! We are all confused! I love it. Well, at least we are trying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008 11:45:48 AM »

If you look down at the top of the last row you completed, they usually look like v's.
Maybe like this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So you would stick your hook into the middle of the stitch, going under the back loop only. Sometimes it's noted as "blo" for back loop only. That'll give you a horizontal rib/ridge across that row if you do it across the entire row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008 05:08:35 PM »

If you look down at the top of the last row you completed, they usually look like v's.
Maybe like this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As crazy at it may seem, that actually helped some. (I think!) I also found this website to be extremely helpful: http://www.worldknit.com/howto/howtocrochet/cbegtechniques/c_singlec.html

I just have/had no idea where I was supposed to insert my hook, if that makes sense. Anyway, does this look right?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008 06:26:53 PM by lymabeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeaJoyGreye

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008 06:44:10 PM »

yes! you've definitely got the stitches right! good job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008 08:48:32 PM »

I have a slightly stupid question. I've just picked up crochet again after about a 20yr haitus(and I'm only 29!) so getting back into the swing of things is a bit slow going. I picked an easy project to start, wrist warmers, which are basically a large square of hdc's and dc's that I need to fit together. Now, I can't really tell which side is the "right" side by looking at it, since they look the same to me. Does it really matter which side is out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008 08:55:41 AM »

I have a slightly stupid question. I've just picked up crochet again after about a 20yr haitus(and I'm only 29!) so getting back into the swing of things is a bit slow going. I picked an easy project to start, wrist warmers, which are basically a large square of hdc's and dc's that I need to fit together. Now, I can't really tell which side is the "right" side by looking at it, since they look the same to me. Does it really matter which side is out?

I have been crocheting forever and it really doesn't matter with that because they are both the same! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008 08:55:54 AM by pjherbert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008 09:00:56 AM »

As crazy at it may seem, that actually helped some. (I think!) I also found this website to be extremely helpful: http://www.worldknit.com/howto/howtocrochet/cbegtechniques/c_singlec.html

I just have/had no idea where I was supposed to insert my hook, if that makes sense. Anyway, does this look right?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2196647826_a7846973df.jpg

lymabeans - this looks terrific! your first little patch that you posted almost looked like reverse single crochet, it was very nice no matter what it is was beacuse your tension looks very good!      This just takes practice practice practice!    I am working on trying to do knitting now, I got the knit down but the purl is difficult. To me, purl is the devil!   Wink

Judy

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 06:40:41 PM by pinkleo - Reason: removed img tags from quote...please do not quote pics/imgs » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008 09:45:06 AM »

I am working on trying to do knitting now, I got the knit down but the purl is difficult. To me, purl is the devil! 

Maybe this will help you:
My mom always told me to think of purling as the opposite of a knit stitch. Instead of the yarn in the back of the piece, you bring it to the front. Instead of bringing your needle through the bottom of the loop, you bring it down through the top. (if that last one made sense... hehe!)

Thanks so much for the kind words too!

Anyway, I've been a busy little craftster the last week.

Granny Squares!

However, I do get a chuckle when I compare my first square and my most recent square:

Whoops! Apparently my tension is working itself out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008 10:03:58 AM »

Thanks for the tip, it does make sense.  Your squares look terrific, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008 10:39:04 AM »

I am *so* happy I stumbled upon this thread!  I am in totally the same boat as everyone else, (especially Lymabeans!).  I am uber excited because my sc looks just like the second example you put up!  Yay us Smiley  I also have a curling problem, though, like SquirtleSquad, (what a name! lol! Luv it!).  I really thought that I was doing the chain st at the end, but maybe I didn't skip a stitch properly.  I thought that meant skipping the newly chained stitch.  Oooh, I can't wait to go try it again...
Thank you all!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008 10:42:10 AM by nomij » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008 10:40:55 AM »

Curling is normal most of the time, as soon as you get some weight to it it will flatten out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unepagaille
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008 06:53:23 AM »

Love this thread, I've been trying to learn using some books that I was sent in a swap supplemented with googling random questions that come up, but I have yet to turn out something that looks like SC...I think I'm getting the directions right, but it doesn't look it yet. I'll keep trying though and I'm so glad I have this thread to check up on too! I can't wait till I have something I can take a picture of to show you all! Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My ideal candidate? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable... fictional... and overqualified." - Dwight K Schrute (The Office US)

http://www.wists.com/xcera
lymabeans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008 08:12:23 PM »

I have yet to turn out something that looks like SC...

I feel your pain. TRUST ME! haha. Although, as soon as I got it, it seemed like the whole world of crocheting opened to me. I'm serious! I saw lights and heard music. People were even ooooing and ahhhing!!!

....okay. So that might be a slight exaggeration, but I was able to understand a whole lot more almost immediately.  Goodluck!

Anyway, I've basically just been crocheting the same simple granny square pattern and sewing them together. I'm hoping to make a big blanket to use up all my acrylic stash! I feel just so darn accomplished with myself right now.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summerdae
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008 01:57:44 PM »

wow, I'm just learning! Like this past weekend I got a hook and some cheap yarn and googled instructions! I just felt crafty after discovering this website!! but mine doesn't look like that photograph, I don't think? I think I'm making a scarf b/c it's about scarf width and I'm just going along with a single stitch (single crochet, uhm whichever it's called??). But mine looks more solid and not so holey? I have no idea if I'm doing this right. It wook me a few rows to realize I was getting narrower and narrower b/c I wasn't making that extra chain at the end after I stuck my hook through all the chains.

So you do just stick it though each top loopy on the row, am I doing it right??

I feel so ripped off when everyone tell's me "oh yeah, tee hee, my mother tought me how!!" I want to try to make an amigurumi guy, my lil girl would love it I'm sure! She also wants me to make her a rug for her doll??? and a hat for her. Anyone have any good hat instructions that are super easy?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008 09:25:13 AM »

Hi Summerdae!

I made an entire little bunny with what I thought was a normal single crochet.  Turns out I was only putting my hook in the front of the loop, instead of under the entire loop.  It still looked cute!  But after practicing a bit more, I see the error of my ways!  I then moved on to double then triple crochet.  My triple practice piece looked like a trapazoid!  I still haven't figured how to turn it properly, but I didn't like it as much, so lost interest in the triple.

So your wording reminded me of how I did it the first time.  I stuck the hook "through each top loop on the row".  But I was only putting it under one strand.  Now I realize I needed to put the hook , not through each loop, but under each loop, ie: the hook goes under two strands.  You may be doing this, and if so, you are way ahead of me and yay Summerdae!  Sometimes it's hard to explain things with words.  My mom doesn't know how to crochet either, and I also was taught by the internet!

Congrats on learning with us!  I have learned that it's very, very addictive.  Especially after you figure out the square patterns  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perfectisfake
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008 04:13:15 PM »

I am literally working on crocheting for the first time, and it's hard not to get jealous of how good others are on this board. Smiley I hope I can crochet that well in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lauren
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Demon from the Dark Book Trailer
Robin Wasserman Talks About Crashed
Alysia Sofios Reveals Her Best Quality
Anna Badkhen Talks About Peace Meals
Kate Morton Talks About The House at Riverton
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...