A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Learn Along (First-ish Projects?)  (Read 5176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2007 06:22:21 PM »

Anyone working on their first or second crochet projects? Crochet and learn along with me. I'm working on my second project, a winter hat for my toddler. I'm using Lion Brand Jiffy in caffe and dusty pink . My first project was a monstrosity of an iPod Cozy LOL.

Anyone else? What are you working on? What yarn are you using? How is it going?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 06:39:51 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ramsie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Novelty tattooist...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007 04:05:35 PM »

I bought an amigurumi book and I've attempted two patterns so far. I'm having a hard time fully understanding the patterns because everything I try has a very pointy head. and turns out way bigger than it should be. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007 10:00:36 PM »

LOL! I can't read patterns to save my life. What I have been doing is writing them out in plain english. IE writing out chain instead of sc and slip stitch instead of sl st. It's been less confusing so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnsierra
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007 02:12:13 PM »

LOL! I can't read patterns to save my life. What I have been doing is writing them out in plain english. IE writing out chain instead of sc and slip stitch instead of sl st. It's been less confusing so far.

lol!
Wow.. I did the EXACT same thing when I was first trying to figure patterns out. I don't anymore but I still have a very hard time trying to figure out some patterns (even when they claim to be "beginner.") A recent attempt at a "fast" and "easy" afghan pattern nearly had me in tears.  Sad

I would say I'm still a crochet noob but I have managed to make...

some bookmarks, some snowflakes (need to make more, ran out of white crochet thread), a scarf, 4 small bags, 2 pairs of booties, 2 baby hats, 1 pair baby mittens, 2 potholders, 1 chihuahua sweater, a pile of granny squares (waiting to be a blanket) and a chevron blanket which is my current work in progress

Well gosh.. ya know when I write it down it actually looks like I'm fairly experienced after all. haha Keeping in mind though most of that is all crap...  Wink
You've got to start somewhere though.  Grin

I wouldn't mind joining in on a crochet along for beginners. Only thing is.. I don't have a camera to show off my work.. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007 09:28:15 AM »

I've tried to make several hats, and they all turn out way small or to big and the last one I attempeted never got longer so i just had a huge doily. Idk what happened. I can read patterns just fine (I think) since I'm a really good knitter. I'm working on another beanie with a brim, So far its good, but I'm only two rows in
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sassenach_Mel

Weasley is my King

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007 07:52:43 PM »

I would be interested in joining a Learn Along. Smiley I taught myself crocheting this summer and have been on-again/off-again depending on time, etc.  Mainly doing afghans b/c they're the easiest! LOL   Grin Want to make a cute hat and sweater set for my niece for xmas (she'll be almost 4 mos then).  So, as soon as I get a pattern, I'm in!
~Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for those rubberband bracelets for causes! PM me!
Sassenach_Mel

Weasley is my King

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007 04:10:04 PM »

OK, I'm starting a few of my Christmas presents and the first one is pocket scarf.  It was a Red Heart free project sheet from Walmart or something. I had it in with my stash of patterns - always planning!  It's really cute, just like a scarf, but the ends of folded like pockets.  I think it will make a great gift for a few of my friends. Smiley Bought the yarn last night and started - looks good already! If this first one turns out, I'll make a couple more, before switching projects.  I'll post pics when I'm done!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for those rubberband bracelets for causes! PM me!
lilyla19
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 02:33:24 AM »

I'm onto my first project. Arigurumi seal pattern from here in craftster.

Only got the head done. I have no idea what it going to turn out as..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrsLewis907
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007 11:46:09 AM »

I am attempting my 3rd project (also the 3rd Christmas gift to be made). I taught myself how to crochet recently. I have made 2 scarves, attempted a hat which didn't turn out right, and am trying to start a 3rd scarf, but am having a little difficulties.

This scarf, I am not using a pattern (the same way I did the other 2), but the yarns that I am using are just being difficult. I'm trying to use both ends of the skein, and that's always tough for me, plus, one is turning out to be thicker than the other (I'm trying to do stripes) and I'm not liking how its working out. I've pulled it out 3 times, and then gave up for the moment. I really want to get a yarn winder, that would eliminate a lot of my stressors at this moment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquirtleSquad
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007 12:57:28 PM »

I'm on my first project. It's a simply single crochet stitch scarf.. but let me tell you, I am crochet impaired or somethin'. I've managed to make mistakes I didn't even think were possible (like unweaving the yarn, twisting the entire thing, crazy problems with tension, etc)..

It took literally foreverrr to figure how to get the yarn to stay inside the hook... =\
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poached Pears with Whipped Mascarpone
How to Make Fried Peach Pies with a Cinnamon Crust
How to Make Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
How to Make an Autumn Fruit Pie Filled with Pears, Apples and Cranberries
How to Make Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...