A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garter or Stockinette for Patons Cha Cha Yarn Baby Afghan?  (Read 958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

M Fox
« on: October 07, 2007 02:33:52 PM »

I want to make a baby afghan and have Patons' Cha Cha yarn in a deep purple and a multicolor (purple, blue, yellow).  I'm thinking of holding the two strands together, and doing it on size 10 needles (I usually knit pretty loose).  Which would be better  - garter stitch, or stockinette?  Garter would be much easier for me, but I need something that will be ok for a baby.  Or should I not use this yarn at all?  (although I did see some baby yarn that was very similar)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 03:31:23 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't use that yarn for a baby blanket. Cha Cha isn't machine washable. If it was me, I'd save that for something 'non-baby' and choose some other yarn, like Cotton Ease or Simply Soft for a baby blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 03:52:27 PM »

Duh, can you tell I've never had kids?  I see 'hand wash, dry flat' and think ok, but a new mom would rather toss it in the machine.
Well, that just means I'll have to find something else to do with the Cha Cha (don't have to twist my arm for that, I've already been drooling over the purple).
I've used Jiffy for blankets in the past, and have some in my stash, just have to figure out a pattern.

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 04:09:01 PM »

You're welcome Cheesy If you need a pattern, you could check knittingpatterncentral or the Lion Brand site. They have a lot of patterns on both sites  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 07:53:46 PM »

If you have any of EZ's patterns, I'm doing the square baby blanket now and it is really fun and unusual - and all in garter! I'm using scraps plus purchased yarn and it is turning out very unique (but not sure very beautiful or not!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M Fox
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007 11:26:15 PM »

Well, I put the Cha Cha aside, and used the Jiffy with an easy crochet pattern I've done before.  So, nothing new, but i just finished it tonight.  Now it just needs a quick toss in the washer and dryer (thanks again, Leppardess!) and I'll box it up for the mom-to-be!

I think I'll make a sweater for myself with the Cha Cha, but I have a few other ideas in the works before I'll be able to get to it...I'm considering the current challenge...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Black and White Images in Photoshop
How to Make a Preloader in Flash
How to Make Silhouettes in Photoshop
How to Understand Resolution and Resizing in Photoshop
How to Use Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...