A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Confetti-ish Tote and Cut-out Handle Handbag (Pic plump and verbose!)  (Read 4298 times)
Tags for this thread: tote , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stinkerbelle
« on: October 07, 2007 01:13:02 PM »

Eeek! This is my first Craftster topic, and I'm quite new to sewing (just a little over a week), so please be gentle. Grin

I've made quite a few bags since I started sewing, and two of them I'm willing to show off. The others I'm a little embarrassed about, what with my super awkward stitching and mismatched thread -- I'm learning to sew and use the sewing machine all on my own, my mom wouldn't ever take the time to sit down and teach me. So I did the next best thing: got out the owner's manual for the machine, some scrap fabric, had Craftster up on a nearby computer (very good for troubleshooting) and showed the machine who the boss was!

While browsing through Craftster, I ran across the tutorial for the 'Jordy' bag -- it seemed easy enough for a beginner, so I tried it. It is easy, although it takes a bit of adjusting to get the dimensions just right.

'Jordy' bag tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32204.0

I think I should stop yakking now and just show you my stuff haha.
Here is my most recent bag, that I made last night:

I intended on it being a decently-sized totebag, but the dimensions ended up being perfect as a purse to carry all my stuff. My previous bags had been a bit too small for my massive wallet (as in size, not contents. Its full of dust, basically. I'm a college student that also has an affinity for fabric).

Here's a close-up of the fabric:

I took over my mom's fabric stash, so I reorganized everything and I found this fabric in the pile. I'd been using scraps for my bags since I'm so new to sewing, but I got brave enough to use this fabric. Not that its much, its from Walmart's $1/yd table most likely. And it was most likely purchased as many as 13+ years ago, when my mom used to sew doll clothes for me when I was around 9-10 years old (I'm 23 now).

Here's the lining:

The lining is light blue, I don't think the lighting in the picture shows the actual colour very well.

Shots of the interior pockets (ignore my hand):

The slit pocket was originally intended to have a zipper, but I made the hole too big for the zipper and it just frustrated me trying to sew it in. So I just put it aside and left it as a slit pocket. The other pockets are my best yet.

Tutorial for zipper pocket: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.0

Action-ish shot, full of my stuff:

I suppose this would be a fairly large purse or maybe even a small tote, its about 11.5 inches tall, 10.5 inches wide and 4 inches deep --- I think it might be big enough to hold a few things for when I stay at a friend's house overnight.

----------

You still with me? Sorry this post is so long. I can be very verbose, and I don't want to make another topic for this other bag I want to show off. Smiley

This next one is the fourth bag I ever made. Its a small handbag, and I made it to carry just the things that I need for the gym.

Its a very tiny bag, only a little over 6 inches tall and wide (its pretty much square), and about 4 inches deep. I used a zipper pocket tutorial for the cut-out handles, except instead of a pocket facing piece, I used the actual lining piece.

Tutorial for zipper pocket: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.0

Inside shot:

Inside shot details:

The regular pocket is the first pocket I ever made. I had intended on making it big enough to hold my phone AND my cards, but I forgot to include a seam allowance in my measurement. I made the money holder because I thought it would be handy to have a couple of bucks on hand. My father is a diabetic, and sometimes his medication works a little TOO well and his blood sugar gets quite low. So if that happens, I can just grab the money holder out of the bag and go get something for him. Smiley I used a snap-wallet tutorial for the money holder, but changed the dimensions.

Tutorial for snap-wallet: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187229.0

Action-ish shot with most everything I take with me to the gym:

----------

All in all, each bag is a learning experience. I make notes on what I can do differently with the next bag that I make to make it just that much better.

Thank you for looking! And sticking around for the whole post! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyAlly
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 01:17:27 PM »

Did you say you've only been sewing for a week?? Nice, way to make me look bad!  Cheesy  The bags look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

multicrafty
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 01:18:13 PM »

Both bags are beautiful! But the second one is my fave!  I love the detachable money pocket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stinkerbelle
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 01:20:58 PM »

Did you say you've only been sewing for a week?? Nice, way to make me look bad!  Cheesy  The bags look great!

Thank you! Grin

Just a bit over a week, yes. Notice that I don't have any close-ups of my stitching lol. My stitching is a bit crazy in some places. I try to sew one thing at least everyday for practice.

Both bags are beautiful! But the second one is my fave!  I love the detachable money pocket!

Thank you! The money pocket was a tiny (and somewhat rare) spark of brilliance -- I didn't want to have to go digging through the bag for it when I really need it. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 01:23:38 PM by Stinkerbelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 01:23:52 PM »

amai!(sweet!- japanese ;P i learned that word yesterday)
i love the second bag, its adorable, now i know that if someone whos been sewing a week can do that i can definitely attempt it XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
DaisyAlly
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007 01:24:47 PM »

Is there any re-inforcement on the handles of the cut out one? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stinkerbelle
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007 01:40:35 PM »

amai!(sweet!- japanese ;P i learned that word yesterday)
i love the second bag, its adorable, now i know that if someone whos been sewing a week can do that i can definitely attempt it XD

Yes, its pretty easy! I just used the 'Jordy' bag tutorial and the zipper pocket tutorial (links are provided in my original post). Instead of using a pocket facing like the zipper pocket tutorial says, I used my lining pieces. Its just a little bit awkward sewing the entire bag, since I had to pin various pieces out of the way while sewing others. I used this tutorial (for a zippered cosmetic bag) as a guide for assembling it: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176509.0

Is there any re-inforcement on the handles of the cut out one? 

There is, somewhat. I used a medium weight interfacing for the outer fabric, and the same interfacing on the lining pieces, but only about halfway down. It could stand to be sturdier, but it works for no more than I use it for. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravens tail
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007 01:59:31 PM »

WOW!! Good job, both are really good, it's been 7 months since I first started sewing! Your's looks so good! I had problems w/ one I made like your second bag when I first attempted it but it's gotten better! Keep up the good work... it's so fun huh?!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little*devil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

protect me from what i want

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007 02:27:28 PM »

I think that these are beautiful but the second is my favorite.  I can't believe you've only been sewing for a week!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007 02:46:53 PM »

You may not know it but that cut out handle is not exactly an easy project for a beginner...so you did not just good but GREAT!!!!!

Both bags are lovely and purpose-designed. I'm sure you'll get many lovely compliments on them when you carry them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Casting Tape for Reality Performance Show
Long Story Short with Darin Brooks
How to Arrange Scenes in a Film Script
How to Ask for Feedback on Your Script
How to Create Your Own Film Script
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...