A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magknits Rainbow sock help  (Read 483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkyflower
« on: October 07, 2007 08:50:34 AM »

I love the socks http://magknits.com/Oct07/patterns/rainbow.htm

however my brain seems to have a block against them.

i can't get on with her way of describing the wrap.
if changing wrap method, i have presumed that you k or p one less than she states then work wrap method of choice (as most wrap methods don't require you to k or p the stitch with which you will work the wrap on the next row first)

so the first bits would be k turn, work turn st
2p turn, work turn st
2k work wrap with st 3k turn work turn st
is this correct?

if it is,then i can't seem to get the bit right where it says "work until 4 sts remain unworked"

i've spent all weekend knitting, frogging, reknitting frogging, playing with the pattern-pen and paper in hand etc etc

several people on ravelry seem to have mastered them, so i do think that it's my brain overcomplicating things, but if someone could type out the instructions in long hand for a few rows, it would be great!

Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 12:32:25 PM »

wrapping a stitch usually means stop working just before the st to be wrapped, bring yarn to the opposite side as you've been working(i.e. yarn in front if you were knitting, yarn in back if you were purling), slip st to be wrapped, bring yarn back to regular side, slip st back, then turn to work the next st--but be sure to maintain tension!  A loose wrap usually results in holes.

There's  a video of a short-row wrap on http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ (scroll down).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyflower
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 01:53:13 PM »

wrapping a stitch usually means stop working just before the st to be wrapped, bring yarn to the opposite side as you've been working(i.e. yarn in front if you were knitting, yarn in back if you were purling), slip st to be wrapped, bring yarn back to regular side, slip st back, then turn to work the next st--but be sure to maintain tension!  A loose wrap usually results in holes.

There's  a video of a short-row wrap on http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ (scroll down).

thank you! Smiley

unfortunately it isn't so much the art of wrapping, but the bits between the stitch count which is causing confusion for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 02:40:46 PM »

Knitty's universal toe-up sock uses the same heel.

You should be placing the next wrap st before the row below, which means the number of sts you work each row changes.  They should not be the same.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyflower
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 03:24:04 AM »

i found the info that helped me Smiley from www.fruitychick.com

i was trying to only have 4 sts total unworked instead of 4 at the end of the p row and 4 at the end of the k row.

by marking the beginning of needle 3, this is pretty easy! you end up with 4 sts after the wrap on needle 3 and 4 sts after working the k row that are "unworked" this is when you switch to the k3 turn, work turn st instructions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prepare Broccoli for Chinese food
Prepare Bok Choy for Chinese food
How to store cooking oil for later use
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...