A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan lunches -- trying to transition  (Read 1340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007 06:25:05 PM »

I'm trying to make the transition from veg to vegan and would love some advice on what to bring for lunches.   They must be cheap, which means no soy cheese or faux meats.   I'm not a fan of sandwiches since they never seem appetizing after 5 hours and I rarely have leftovers.  I realize this rules out a lot, which  is why I'm asking for some ideas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 09:21:13 PM »

I find that it's really hard to make a separate lunch -- I'm rarely that motivated -- so I try and "plan" leftovers.  And if you rarely have leftovers because you don't like them, there are a lot of vegan foods that freeze well.  That way, you can have your leftovers in a week or two -- or later -- rather than the next day.  Chili and veggie pot pie and a lot of soups are great frozen and reheated.  Curried veggies are even better a day or two after they're made, and a lot of pasta sauces keep well too.  (Pesto is my favorite, and you can also freeze it in ice cube trays for later use.)  And here is my recipe for microwave applesauce.  I've recommended it about a million times, but it really makes for a great dessert, especially when it's cold outside. 

Also, I take salad a lot more often now that I have a nifty container to put it in: http://www.fit-fresh.com/products.html.  (I've also seen them for sale at Bed Bath and Beyond if you're in the US.)  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
sticky_fingers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 02:00:39 AM »

I like to make hearty salads - you could chuck cold roasted veges in there, beans, nuts, raw veges you need to use up, or make a pasta salad. You can never go wrong with soup in a thermos. On the side I take something like carrot sticks and hummus, fresh fruit or mixtures of dried fruit and nuts. Oh and muffins and baked goods are pretty excellent for lunch.

Have you seen veganlunchbox.com? She makes delicious lunches for her son, it's really inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sticky_fingers
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 02:01:29 AM »

I forgot - falafel wraps! They are cheap as chips when you make the falafel yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Charrr
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007 03:32:12 AM »

Hummus and pita bread or make vegetable pizza and take slices. Couscous and roast/grilled vegetables or salads with couscous based around beand and chickpeas. I take cold pasta with tomato sauce and chickpeas or tvp too. All of these are pretty cheap to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sociallyawkward
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007 12:20:18 PM »

I second VeganLunchBox.com

Also, a lot of sandwiches can be taken separately, so there isn't quite as much of the soggy-bread factor. When I was lacto-ovo, I'd often take tomato, lettuce, mozzarella and a sub bun in different containers and assemble them once I got to lunch, and it worked out pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007 07:43:04 AM »

I think peanut butter and an apple can go a long way.
Im hypoglycemic and Have to eat lunch so usually I have that with some other stuff...
my gf loves to  eat triscuits with strawberry jelly..Ive never tried it....Do triscuits have anything in them?
neither one of us are veg or vegan but we dont eat much meat....ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to Create Live Paint Groups in Illustrator CS4
How to Use Key Object Alignment in Illustrator CS4
How to Use Multiple Artboards in Illustrator CS4
How to Use the Separations Preview Panel in Illustrator CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...