A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for gifts from the kitchen?  (Read 1372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007 02:19:12 PM »

I know, I know... the possibilities are endless.  But I am not very kitchen literate, and I would like to make a nice yummy gift for a few birthdays that are coming up.

Does anyone have any ideas for a perfect edible gift?  Perfect meaning:  Looks good, doesn't need refridgerating, etc.  I have considered:  Cookies, brownies, rum balls, home made chocolates.  Are there any other good ideas I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007 11:04:32 AM »

Jam ! It's so fun to cook and makes a nice (long lasting) gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 08:39:28 PM »

Jam is a great idea .... especially now with apple cider out, you can follow direction in packet of surejell for cider jam.  =)

Thre is arecipie here for chocolat truffles thast looks free easy yet give great results...also one for oreo balls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MggFrog

Stickers are my love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 01:16:05 AM »

Cookie mixes in Jars

I love these, and its getting to a good time to be passing them around (i love fall). But you can also do hot coco mixes or cake mixes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 01:24:07 AM »

Going along with the cookie mix idea, hot cocoa mix or apple cider/mulling spices in a jar can be good too.  Especially since we're getting to hot cocoa time of year.

Another idea would be to get a set of mugs or tea cups, and include a hot cocoa recipe, or the recipe plus the dry ingredients. 

For example you could combine the dry ingredients then modify the instructions to make the cocoa: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/beverage/cocoa-wc.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katrin
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 12:31:55 PM »

What about olive oil with chilis or herbs in beautiful bottles? Or homemade kinds of alcohol (if the receivers are old enough...)? Or a nice homemade chutney.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 08:42:38 PM »

I used to make these cookies for my boss for his birthday every year (until he left). They are super simple and travel fairly well (don't mail though). I would just pack them in a pretty sturdy box with waxed paper and tissue paper.

They are usually called 7 layer bars, but my mom always called them Magic Cookie Bars, so I do too. It's more fun. Cheesy

Magic Cookie Bars
1.5 C graham cracker crumbs
3 T sugar
1 stick butter

Mix the above and pat firmly into 9x13 pan.

Sprinkle on in layers:

6 oz chocolate chips
1 1/13 C coconut
1 C chopped nuts

Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk all over the top as evenly as you can. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until they start getting a bit golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.

I have found that putting them into the fridge and getting them nice and hard makes them easier to get out of the pan. You might spray the edges of the pan with Pam or something too.

Cocoa Rum Cookies   (these are addictive and good travelers. They also look nice)
1 C soft butter
2/3 C sugar
3 T rum
2 C flour
1/4 C cocoa
1 C chopped nuts
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
extra sugar

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in rum. Sitr flour and cocoa together and then gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Chill dough for at least 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 325 for about 25 min. Roll in the extra sugar while they are still warm. Cool on racks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007 12:50:21 PM »

Thank you so much for all the great ideas!  I especially want to try the cocao rum cookies!  But the current recipiant is a recovering "Friend of Bill" so I couldn't do them for him.  Next guy hopefully.  These ideas I will keep coming back to, but the current recipiant was a 30 yr guy, so I went with the traditional brownies drizzled with two different types of chocolate, and then sugar cookies cut out into letters that spelled "Happy Birthday Scott!" and decorated.  I wrapped the brownies in parchment paper, and lay the cookies on top, and put it all into a fancy box with pretty(manly) tissue paper. 
With Christmas coming up, though, I'm sure to come back to this thread for all the ideas!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bunnikins
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007 02:04:04 PM »

I was thinking of doing homemade limoncello for Christmas gifts this year. I want to get started soon because I know it takes a while to steep. Anybody here have experience with this? Thanks.

BTW, I also make a version of the magic bars with peanut butter chips. They are so easy and quick, but they go fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007 07:49:28 AM »

Thank you so much for all the great ideas!  I especially want to try the cocao rum cookies!  But the current recipiant is a recovering "Friend of Bill" so I couldn't do them for him.  Next guy hopefully.  These ideas I will keep coming back to, but the current recipiant was a 30 yr guy, so I went with the traditional brownies drizzled with two different types of chocolate, and then sugar cookies cut out into letters that spelled "Happy Birthday Scott!" and decorated.  I wrapped the brownies in parchment paper, and lay the cookies on top, and put it all into a fancy box with pretty(manly) tissue paper. 
With Christmas coming up, though, I'm sure to come back to this thread for all the ideas!!!

You could always substitute rum flavor, but that could be risky, so you could substitute something else. Espresso would be good, and easy to substitute. Otherwise you could substitute with a lesser amount of something like a mint or orange extract and make up the difference in liquid with water or milk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
How to Make Ohio Buckeyes
Curtis Stone’s St. Paddy’s Day Hangover Meal
5 Tips for Great Gravy
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...