A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oxford Pre-Prom Torso Piece!  (Read 4635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004 10:30:12 PM »

I'd wear the mockup as is, maybe just add some spaghetti straps and it's a cute top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pellzin
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004 04:20:37 AM »

This is the start of a really flattering dress. I too like the buttons -- especially in contrast with the color of the shirt. Why not try one that way? Perhaps you could make it into a sundress with some cute embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shiva

My baby just cares for me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004 05:06:36 AM »

Thank u so much indigo!!!
will be patient and looking forward to a tut, and most of all, to see the final pic of your prom dress Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rarest thing is to live. Most people exist, that is all.
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004 09:34:09 AM »

I think that is a nice start and final piece will be weary beautiful, It is weary smart of you to try sawing first with old fabric (I never do that and regret it too meany times Smiley)
I like the top you came up with I'm thinking about making top like that for my self. Good lack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flip Flop
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004 10:28:21 AM »

wow im impressed! i was going to try to make my own prom dress this year, but im not good enough with sewing clothes to go without a pattern. hehe. but it looks like you've got a good start!!! i actually like the top also, you should keep it as a shirt! good luck with your dress! i'm sure it will turn out great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puffy_jacket
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004 11:25:10 AM »

Good start! It looks like the seams over the bust need to be more gradually graded (I highly recommend fitting your toile over the bra you're planning on wearing with the dress), and I think it'd be more flattering if you nipped in the waist a bit more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004 03:30:48 PM »

Again, thanks for all the comments! I got sidetracked in sewing Christmas gifts (which still aren't done  Tongue) but every day I keep making adjustments to "the plan"... that is, how I will actually end up with the best prom dress ever... by prom.

Maybe a bit of a half circle skirt attached to it?
I still haven't decided on what to do for the skirt, but right now I'm thinking very full

I'd wear the mockup as is, maybe just add some spaghetti straps and it's a cute top!
Perhaps, with adjustments (that will be made anyway) like tightening it. I mean, I'm wearing a t-shirt under it in the pix and it's still a tad loose. I was trying to accomodate potential interfacing and lining, but unless I put on a pound or so before prom (NOT in the plan), the bodice needs to get slimmed down. Then maybe a top.

Perhaps you could make it into a sundress with some cute embroidery!
Sundresses can be born AFTER PROM!  Cheesy hahaha

will be patient and looking forward to a tut, and most of all, to see the final pic of your prom dress Grin
It will all come, in good time. Wink

I like the top you came up with I'm thinking about making top like that for my self.
Great! If anyone makes something, I want to see!

im not good enough with sewing clothes to go without a pattern.
I usually use patterns for everything but purses and belts, but hey! You're your own walking talking dressform, why not make clothes to fit your body instead of a size? You can do it!

seams over the bust need to be more gradually graded ... it'd be more flattering if you nipped in the waist a bit more.
They do, and I will. This torso-thing was just to see if I could wrangle myself some princess seams without it looking like it's from another planet. Fit isn't perfect.... YET!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
alisasaur
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005 10:22:51 AM »

How is your dress coming along?  I am making mine, too, and I was just wondering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005 10:31:01 AM »

Pff! My dress is coming along... not at all. School started up again and I found myself with zero to negative sewing time. I'm now considering using a pattern simply because I've never made a formal-style dress before and I know the fabric will probably be pricey so I don't want to screw it up. But I still plan to make my dress, either way. How is YOURS coming? Are you in the promalong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
alisasaur
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005 10:48:59 AM »

Yeah, I'm in the promalong.  I actually haven't even started mine yet.  I have a sketch, but I might use a pattern and change it so that my dress will turn out how I want it to.
I'm going to make a practice dress, though, with $1/yard fabric, so that I can make sure the dress fits & looks just how I want it to.  I already have my practice fabric.  I'm going to scan my crappy sketch for the promalong, haha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 20/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 24/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 17/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 21/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 26/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...