A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oxford Pre-Prom Torso Piece!  (Read 4993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indigo flower girl
« on: December 16, 2004 06:04:31 PM »

I'm tossing around the idea of making my own prom dress this year, and making it without a pattern at that. Tonight I decided to grab a measuring tape and some scrap cloth and try making a practice princess-seam torso piece. Be forgiving, I still need to take in each side about 1/2" and the princess part on the right side got caught in my seam as I sewed oh so fast. Nonetheless, I think I will be able to make this work and I want any advice you all have!

I'm a princess! Pardon what looks like my stomach. It's where my t-shirt ends.

Less than perfect pic of the back, just to show what I thought was a resourceful use of an old men's button shirt. Cheesy The final will zip.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2004 06:18:58 PM by indigo flower girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004 06:11:45 PM »

I think you're doing a great job. Whats the bottom gonna look like?

My only comments are the way it gathers in the back, the front is very cute. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
indigo flower girl
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004 06:17:28 PM »

Well right now I am thinking a full skirt, probably full length too. Maybe with sheer over top. And I think I didn't clarify this.... THIS IS NOT THE DRESS! It's like a mock-up or whatever. I mean I sewed it with orange thread! lolol! And it only looks like it gathers bc the buttons are far apart and I have jeans on anyway. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

txjuju
Goddess of the Kitchen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004 06:46:19 PM »

I like the buttons, actually  Shocked Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy Cry Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004 06:47:41 PM »

Hehe so so I! However, I think a zipper would be a smoother, more professional finish for a formal dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

less_than_zero
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004 08:11:48 PM »

That's nice! I like the buttons too, especially how it opens up in the bottom, that will make an awsome prom getup!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shiva

My baby just cares for me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004 01:50:40 AM »

I've got a load of men's shirts which i would never ever wear (big n baggy - but top quality).
would you ever be so kind to post a tut? would really apreciate it, that way i would know how what to do with the shirts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rarest thing is to live. Most people exist, that is all.
arrhythmia
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004 11:50:07 AM »

Just a thought. You know how the shirt tails splay out in the back in your mock-up? How about when you make the real thing, you make little(shorter) tails and let it splay out like that on the back? It would look really cute, especially if the back section under that were a different color. Maybe not for the prom dress, if that is not part of your dress that you envisioned, but maybe on another princess dress, like a sundress or whatever. You could make the front drop-waisted with a straight across line at the drop waist, and make the top of the back longer to include the 'tails'. You could still do a zipper, but you'd have two layers to contend with, but I think it would still be do-able. JMHO, but it might be a really special and unique dress idea. Definitely, wouldn't meet anyone with your dress! Smiley

Otherwise, the princess part is going well. You have a great willowy waistline that you can really emphasize with that style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004 01:09:46 PM »

I've got a load of men's shirts which i would never ever wear (big n baggy - but top quality).
would you ever be so kind to post a tut? would really apreciate it, that way i would know how what to do with the shirts!

Yeah, I could do that. Might take a couple days!  Wink

Just a thought. You know how the shirt tails splay out in the back in your mock-up? How about when you make the real thing, you make little(shorter) tails and let it splay out like that on the back? It would look really cute, especially if the back section under that were a different color. ... You could make the front drop-waisted with a straight across line at the drop waist, and make the top of the back longer to include the 'tails'. You could still do a zipper, but you'd have two layers to contend with, but I think it would still be do-able.

I left the excess cloth at the bottom so I can fold it around and experiment with how I want the final to be. I'm thinking about some interesting angles around the hemline... but right now the back reminds me of a penguin! haha! I'll have 2 layers anyway, because this will be lined.

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leentje
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004 01:51:23 PM »

Heey I like the lines you  put on that one! I might copy that of you and make a little top myself. I'll post it for you later then! I guess the easiest way to finish what you have now or making what you have in your head is pinning it to a doll and once the body is fitting and to your like, then just add length on the bottom! Maybe a bit of a half circle skirt attached to it? Hmm let us see the result! x L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop: Using the Render Effect
How to Use Distort Filters in Photoshop
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...