A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any Tatters?  (Read 16518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007 11:31:19 AM »

Its not that it isn't "contemporary" it just hasn't had a recent repopularization like knitting has.  If you are the type who has to have a pattern and make everything as shown, then tatting probably isnt for you; you'll be stuck making doilies and edgings forever. But if you get creative, that same edging could turn into a beautiful necklace. I am continuing my tatting adventures and am currently trying to learn bead tatting techniques and use hemp thread in my work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
wildwoodflwr
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007 06:15:52 AM »

tatters!!!  I needle tat and was recently given my first shuttle so I'll be foraying (for better or for worse) into that soon.  I have mostly been using my tatting for christmas decorations but I have some ideas of neat-o ways to use it that doesn't involve doilies.  Now all I need is time to do it in   Undecided  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckey23
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007 07:21:14 PM »

I usually hang out over in knitting, but recently I borrowed my mother's tatting needles and some of her thread to give this a try. I got the the double knot, and the picot without problem (I have been teaching myself from a book, as I am left handed and my mom can't show me). My problem is that I can't get the ring to close. I have started over numerous times, but the darn thing just won't close. Can any one tell me what I might be doing wrong? I am using the long end of the thread like the book (and all the websites) say too. thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
zeeblebee
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007 01:39:17 AM »

An important thing to make sure of is that all your knots are forming over one thread, not snarling between the two, or alternating. As you make each knot see if you can get it to slide along the shuttle thread a little, and then open the ring out a bit (don't try and close it, just move it a few mm). If you can get the picot happening it sounds as though you have the flip down (where you move the knot between the threads) but perhaps subsequent knots don't flip.

It may also be a problem if you are using a textured thread to work with, or perhaps a really tight tension and a soft thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007 01:43:13 AM »

I had the same problem too! What is extremely difficult to get from books is the fact that you have to transfer the twist from your shuttlethread to the core thread, its called "the flip". That is why in boks it will tell you to hold the core thread loosely and the shuttlethread tight. I'm in a rush right now, but later today I will find a video for you that I found online that helped me understand this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
beckey23
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007 12:21:52 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I am going to try those suggestions and see if they help me out. Maybe my tension is just to tight?? hmm.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007 02:05:05 PM »

Alright as promised, here is a link to the page with the video, its the one entitled "The Flip".
http://www.tatting.net/techniques.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
beckey23
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007 02:14:20 PM »

Alright as promised, here is a link to the page with the video, its the one entitled "The Flip".
http://www.tatting.net/techniques.html
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!  After reviewing the tape (a couple of times) I can see that the flip was/is my problem. I'm off to practice some more!! Thanks a bunch, SlickMariaVic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007 03:11:31 PM »

Tatting was the first needlecraft I learned as a child.  I made little flowers and simple trims, but I haven't done it in years. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckey23
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007 05:46:52 PM »

I have been plucking away at it for the last week or so and I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - Highlighted Face Tutorial
Three Tricks to Achieve Bold Brows with Jeanine Lobell
D.S. & Durga Perfume House
Talk Pretty to Me: Cute Summer Hair and Makeup Ideas
The Pastel Lip Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...