A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial--Blue Knitting Bag w/ cut-out handle  (Read 4851 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007 11:17:17 AM »

I made this bag recently so I would have an easy way to carry my current knitting or crochet project with me wherever I go.  I made the handle from an awesome tutorial that I found at u-handblog:
http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/02/zippered_inner_.html
for a simple zipper tutorial (to make a handle, stop at number 3).  I found that I was able to use it as a handle for my bag.  I made the bottom a bit larger than the handles, that way it would give it a pleat-ish affect  Cheesy.  A project is inside it right now, to hold its shape.
Here it is:

I would love to know any constructive criticism, or what you like and don't like about my bag.  Thanks!   Grin

Edit:
Here is the tutorial!
1.  First, you will want to make the two handles using this: http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/02/zippered_inner_.html
tutorial.  I recommend using interfacing to make the handles stiff.  If you want to do so, iron it on before creating the handles.  Do not cut out the body of the bag yet, as it will be more accurate if it is cut later.  Once you make the handles it will look like this:

2.  Next, you will want to hem the top part of the handle.  To do so, you will enough of each side in so that you can stitch over it without it coming undone.  The following picture shows what it looks like when just one part is folded over, just for an example.  Before sewing, you want both sides to be folded over evenly.

3.  Once you stitch over the top, you want the sides to look neat too.  You will fold it in just as you did with the top part of the handle.  You want to also fold in part of the hem you just made so that it looks more like a square.  The following picture should show you how to do this.  You want to sew it together on both sides.

4. After making both handles, lay them out.  When you cut out the body (and lining) of the bag, you want to leave room to pleat it (this isnt necessary, if you want a perfect square or rectangle).  In my bag, I left around 2 inches on both sides (This bag turned out rather large).  This is what my handles looked like, compared to the rest of the bag:

5.  As done with the handles, you will fold over the top edges of the bag.  Dont sew this yet!

6.  For me, it was easiest to fold over the outside and lining fabric to make the pleats as I went (but dont fold the handle.  This is done to make the pleated affect, and to make the bag fit the handle.), rather than pin each pleat into place.  All that I did was pin the first and last part of it (taking the first pin out when I was ready to start.  I also did this one handle at a time so the other handle wouldnt fall out or get in the way).

7.  This is what it should look like once it is sewn in.  Mine is a bit floppy, though:

8.  Here is the finished product:

Well, there you go!  Please let me know if you have any questions, if I need to make a step more clear, or something like that.  Thanks!   Grin

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007 03:18:31 PM by CrochetNinja - Reason: Tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
SinkorSwim
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 11:49:30 AM »

that is really pretty...now what did you use to get the handles to be sturdy   cause i really want to make one like this but cant quite get the handles...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's not a paragraph
CrochetNinja
Meow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007 11:55:56 AM »

Thanks!  Actually, I didn't use anything to make the handles sturdy.  They turned out just fine, for me.  I'm sure interfacing would make them more sturdy, if necessary.  I hemmed the sides on the left and right, then the top part of the handle.  Then I stuck it in between the outside layer of fabric and the inside layer of fabric, and sewed that all together.  If you are interested, I can create a tutorial with pictures for this bag, because I find it hard to explain in just words.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
-Steven Wright
SinkorSwim
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007 03:28:24 PM »

wow...thanks so much for the tutorial..now when i get more fabric i know exactly what i am going to be making... Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's not a paragraph
labibliotecaria
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007 03:47:24 PM »

What I don't like about it is that I don't have one!  No - seriously - it is super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetNinja
Meow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007 04:57:10 PM »

Wow, thanks, both of you!   Cheesy  It's my first tutorial for sewing, so I didn't quite know how it would turn out.  Thanks alot Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
-Steven Wright
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Passage Through a Chainlink Cloud by Ellen Grossman
Letter of Abuse Sculpture by Suprina
The Union Sculpture by Suprina
The Dancer Sculpture by Suprina
Seduction Sculpture by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...