A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lucky the Dog Bag  (Read 2003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monica_thompson
It's Momica! Mother to everyone--whether they like it or not!!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2007 09:27:54 AM »

My daughter and I made this for her friend for her birthday.  She has a much doted upon lab mix named Lucky, who is possibly the largest fattest dog ever.   When Emma wanted to make a present for Shea's birthday, and we decided to applique on a bag we picked up at Goodwill, Lucky was the first thing Emma came up with.  I decided that it's perfect, since it is very personal, but not in a soon to be dated kinda way.  In 6 months, she may not like unicorns anymore, but she'll always love Lucky.  Emma picked out the bag, and all the fabrics, buttons and patterns (online clip-art dog picture)  Her favorite part was the sparkly purple felt we used for the dog!

The Front--Emma did all of the stitching on the letters herself, and I did the dog.  This was only her 2nd time working with felt, so I am very very proud of her.

The Big dog...I love how he turned out.  I stitched "Lucky" on the tag, and the eyes and nose are buttons.

The lining and the pocket, with the card that Emma made her inside, holding the clip on earrings Em' picked up at Goodwill as well.

On the inside, I zig-zaged a pocket with her name freestyle on my machine..we were running so late at this point for the party, but I like how it turned out anyway.

A close up of the handles detail...one of them had a tear at the top, so we covered both handles with felt and wrapped them with emboidery floss...I think this is one of my favorite parts of the bag.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007 09:29:01 AM by monica_thompson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grant me the strength, endurance, and focus to see it through.
autommatic
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 09:42:56 AM »

what a wonderful idea for a gift! it turned out great, too... i love what you did with the handles, it adds a nice touch! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanzie
I've got love for the chat hoes...anyone else need not apply!

"Ich warte auf dich-am Ende der nacht"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007 10:12:04 AM »

that is the sweetest thing i have ever seen,so much fun to make together and the idea of it is just too much,im almost teary eyed!im sure anyone would love to get such a personal and thoughtful gift! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a burning image in her mind and between her thighs...

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CRAFT SUPPLIES!DON'T #$%@ WITH ME!

half moon shawl crochetalong...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235034.0

stalk me....
http://www.wists.com/Tanzie
April is

a walking contradiction

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007 02:07:05 PM »

cutest bag i've seen in quite a while- i know i would love this even now, let alone if i was a younger girl. the colors are beautiful, the stiching perfect, but its the little waggy tail is what really does it for me. great job- i'm sure your daughters friend will squeee, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a head full of ideas and an empty wallet.
monica_thompson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007 02:34:03 PM »

thanks you guys!
I was really happy with how it came out, and the birthday girl loved it (and I suspect her mother was a bit jealous)

I would have loved to have kept it for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladybuggems
Keepin' outta trouble

I like shiny things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007 10:37:03 AM »

Wow, how cute!  I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to do projects like that together.  What a great idea.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My current obsessions: "More Cheap Thrills"
http://ladybuggems.com/blog

Unique chain maille and wire wrapped jewelry: http://ladybuggems.com
[10% off with coupon code CRAFTSTER]
fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007 11:10:13 AM »

That's great!  I love the details - sparkly felt, tail wagging, handles - what an awesome gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007 11:39:57 AM »

What a fun and meaningful gift! And you're a super mom to let your child get so much joy from giving. This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purplexime
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007 11:56:33 AM »

Beautiful and very creative.  I love the way the dog came out.  Can you explain a bit more how you did it?
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monica_thompson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007 12:58:10 PM »

Sure! 
We picked up the bag at goodwill for 99 cents(there is NO cent symbol on my computer!  what a travesty!!)  It was a Matrix (shampoo company) bag with a nylon lining.  We left the bag as was.
The dog shapes we found online....we google searched black dog clip art and eventually found this one.  I sized the whole dog to the size we wanted, and for the head, I just cropped it and blew it up huge on paint until it was the size we wanted.    I printed off both of them, pinned them to the felt, and pin pricked the details, and used regular chalk to mark it off.  Meaning, I made holes with a pin and rubbed chalk dust into them so that I could see the pattern on the felt.  For the outline of the pattern I used the chalk to make an edge rubbing (rubbed the chalk from the paper over onto the felt leaving a chalky sunburst to cut away)
So once I did that, I embroidered/ attached the details (ears eyes collar etc) before I attached them to the bag. Then I just did a running stitch to attach them.  Which was hard through the tight weave of the bag and lining. 
While I was working on this, Emma was stitching the "Lucky" layers together.  She did a double row of stitching on each letter.  When it came time to attach it to the bag, I didn't want to muddy up her stitching, so I attached that with glue. (plus my fingers were so tired!)
The little details were fun.  I learned how to do a french knot for the eyes on the little dog, and the nose as well, the big dog got double button eyes and a big black button nose, On the little dog's collar, the tag (tiny red button) got an "L" stitched on to it, and the big dog I stitched on the whole name "Lucky"
The colors were fun and easy...I had them all in a stash of felt I got for nothing.  The lining fabric was on the dollar shelf at Walmart....easy and cheap.

If I think of any more steps, I'll post them, and if you have any specific questions, ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a High Ponytail
How to Get a Basic Ponytail
How to Get Long Hair Updos
Organic Haircare by Demetris Potamianos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...