A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need pics from Continental Knitters! Please read!  (Read 2036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007 09:01:00 AM »

This is how my knitting looks as I hold it.

Here you can see how the yarn is wrapped around the fingers.  The index finger controls the position of the yarn.  The pinky rests against the needle while working, and as each stitch is completed, yarn is drawn past the pinky to control the tension of the work.  I find that my tension is nice and even most of the time, and I almost always get gauge as shown in patterns the first try.  I don't know, therefore, if my tension is loose or tight, but I think it's probably just about in the middle.

This is the resting position for my method of purling.  When knitting, the right needle is doing all the work, mostly my hand just sits there, and the right needle picks.  But for purling, my finger rests below the work, and flicks upward with each stitch to wrap the yarn.  This is tough on the muscle at the base of the thumb, but as long as I'm keeping in good knitting form, it doesn't bother me much.  If I take a break from knitting for a while, I have to go through some discomfort to get that muscle back in shape, but mostly it works really well for me.

This just shows you how I flick the finger upward to wrap the yarn.  Tension is handled with the pinky the same way it is with the knitting position, though.  Also, I don't know if I wrap backwards of what most people do.  If so, then I wrap backwards for both knitting and purling and it comes out right.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007 12:59:44 PM »

I can't help you personally, but my Mum uses Continental so I made her sit still while I snapped some pics Cheesy

From the top:

The finger holding the yarn never moves, it stays very close to the needle and she just scoops the next loop through.

From the back:

Her middle and ring fingers hold the yarn, and it just falls loosely over her pinkie.

When purling:

She moves her finger outward...her method of purling boggles my English-knitting mind.

Oh, and her tension probably falls somewhere in the nice, even middle.  Hope that helps some, good luck with figuring it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007 01:22:55 PM »

All you people who just flip it over your index finger for yarn control impress the heck out of me... I drop it practically every stitch that way.  I am seeing a commonality with where it ends up on the finger, though- further back than I usually hold it.  That's one reason I wanted multiple pics- I am better at seeing patterns than at figuring out what the significant part of one picture is. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007 06:39:16 PM »

The index finger just sort of holds it up out of the way on the knit stitch.  It's the pinky and the right needle that do all the work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
iamdatura
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007 06:48:54 PM »

Just keep in mind that when knitting continental style, if you keep your rhythm, it can all be done in one motion which saves a significant amount of time.

When it comes to tension, the way you are holding the yarn matters as much as the kind of yarn and kind of needles do.  Sometimes, I wrap it around my pinky, sometimes I grip it between my pinky and ring finger, and sometimes I just let it hang off of my pointer.  There is no right or wrong, so get to know all of the methods.  I can guaranteed, it will come in handy later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007 07:25:05 PM »

awesome thread!

I purl continental (unless I'm doing ribbing; I can't figure out continental for knit) and hold things just how Lothruin does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

epsilon
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007 05:24:08 AM »

I don't think anyone does it "wrong" as long as they are getting the fabric they want- I don't know anyone who holds the yarn the way I do, either. Smiley  Double-wrapping around the finger that way might help with the yarn-dropping problem I have.  Do you find that you are a particularly tight or loose knitter?

i don't think im either tight or loose knitter, i usually get the gauge with needles recommended on a label. but i was told i'm a loose knitter few times, but the person who told me that is a very tight knitter, so i don't think it counts:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caclark4
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007 06:10:22 AM »

I would take pics but I am another one of those that I'm the only one I know who knits the way I do (drives my mother crazy...lol).  If I concentrate on it, I have an awful time doing continental.  However, when I go with what just feels right, I'm going to town continental-style.  Personally, my yarn is just draped over my pointer finger.  How do I not drop it?  I don't know.

I finally just had to tell myself to relax and let it all go.  Now I just need to stop gripping the right hand needle so tight that I'm getting sores and my hand is killing me after an hour...lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
Annann
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007 09:00:49 AM »

I didn't even know there were different ways of knitting. Turns out I'm knitting continental style. Smiley

Anyway, here's how I hold the yarn when I'm knitting (and yes, those are pink DPNs):

Exaggerated, to show how the yarn lies. That's how I tense the yarn if I notice I'm knitting to loose:

Two pics to show how I hold the rest of the yarn:

I'd say my tension varies depending on what type of yarn I use. I knit looser on DPNs than on regular needles, and mohair-type-yarn I knit very loose. Apart from that, I hold a normal tension, might be a bit on the lose side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting with sharpened sticks.
zeeblebee
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007 06:28:34 PM »

I knit combined continental, and making purls are a breeze for me this way- I just flick the yarn around the needle, my thumb isn't involved.

Tensioning top

I loosen my grip for more yarn by moving my pinkie out, feeding more yarn toward my hand. This is exaggerated here- unless what I'm using is really, really sticky I don't make a movement worth mentioning; for every stitch I do, my pinkie might move 2mm max. This yarn though, just slips through.

Tensioning underside

Making a purl- I just realised it looks like my thumb is helping to form the stitch, but that is just were it sits when I'm knitting.

My index finger is quite a way away from the tip of the needle- this both helps me flick, and control the slightly slippery yarn I'm using (100% Alpaca). If I were using something sticky, it would be much closer to the needle. I knit at a slightly loose tension- probably a difference of 0.25-0.5mm needle sizes from what I use to what is recommended.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 06:33:42 PM by zeeblebee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Why Linda Yellin Wrote About Nora Ephron
HuffPost Staffers Share Their Favorite Books
David Menasche Supports Voices Against Brain Cancer
Daisy Lewellyn on Shopping with an Editor’s Eye
Sabrina Jeffries on Her Novel When the Rogue Returns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...