A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,646
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necklace Idea for BF Needed...  (Read 626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

YourDadsMistress
« on: October 05, 2007 11:08:50 PM »

My boyfriend wants me to make him a necklace ( he made me one that I cherish ). I usually have tons of ideas for necklaces but my taste might not be appropriate for a 27 year old man. I really want to make him one but clueless where to start. His interests arent that great to base upon... Hematite ( but hes scared to wear it to work in fear of breaking ), Jacksonville Jaguars, and Body Building. Favorite colors are Black and Orange.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miserylovesme
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 09:03:09 AM »

Would he wear like a surfer style braided hemp necklace in those colors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YourDadsMistress
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007 08:10:10 PM »

I dont think he is into that sort of thing, plus I dont know how to do hemp work. Thanks though Smiley.

*Update*

I finally decided on what to do... make a shrinky dink pendant of the Jaguars logo. It turned out great. However, I ran into a few more problems....

1- I used Sharpie on the Shrinky Dink... I read on here about several different varnish sprays... but I need a set answer directly to me ( Im slow ). Will Mod Podge work? Or do you think I should go scribble up a shrinky dink and use it as a guinea pig for different types of sealant til I find one that works?

2- What type of necklace should I put the pendant on? I have black ( and several other colors ) suade cording but its rather stiff and I have some black chain with silver accents.

3- If I go with the chain, what type of clasp ( not actually the clasp... but the finishing finding that the clasp goes on... dont know what its called ) do I use for thick chain? Its just "raw" chain bout off a roll at Walmart so theres not a clasp on it. I previously just used a jumpring to be able to put a clasp on it. But I want it to look more professional. I have some the barrel looking things but its not big enough for the chain.

Sorry, Im sort of new to this type of stuff. Im just a simple elastic-cures-all person aka my necklaces are elastic haha.

And I forgot he likes the super man logo. Think I should make one out of shrinky dinks where he can chose from different necklaces?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 12:56:04 AM by YourDadsMistress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoxNGemz

Beads and Resin are my passions!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 02:29:59 PM »

I think your shrinky dink pendant sounds very cool (pics would be great Smiley )

I usually see men wearing metal or wood beads and they look great. 
Also, as for the cord, I'd stick to a manly type material like thick leather cord or natural hemp (even if it's not knotted up, It will look very cool!). 
If you use suede, I have a feeling it might be too femenine looking on a guy who likes to body build!  (Just my opinion though Wink )

I'm sure anything you make him he'll LOVE!!!  Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 02:31:57 PM by RoxNGemz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~jessica
aka.. RoxnGemz
YourDadsMistress
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 04:52:47 PM »

Thanks. Ill get pictures asap for better judgement on cording. I really dont think he cares bout looking feminine... heck haha. I said I was gonna make him one with teddy bear and glow in the dark star beads and he thought it would be awesome. Yea... hes a bit ummm you know haaaaa.

I should probably go put a protective seal on the pendant. And get to work on several options for the necklace itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007 08:03:27 AM »

Here's one necklace I made for a male friend (not that the Adam's apple wouldn't have given that away). It is round wood beads, oblong green glazed ceramic beads and tiger eye.

Same friend, different necklace: different shapes of hematite beads.

And I have used mod podge on shrinkies, and it seems to work fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
butterbean
Comptroller of Messes

Puppy juice!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007 09:34:14 AM »

My hub is not a jewelery wearing kind of guy (wedding ring is IT) BUT I found a vendor on eBay selling guitar picks (hub's a guitarist) bonded to computer circuit board (he's also a programmer).  I bought one and hung it from a thin black leather cord accented with dark brown wood beads.  He loves it and wears it constantly.  It's very masculine and interesting at the same time, and not too "much".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will a digital camera make picture taking easier?
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...