A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My baby will not get frostbite.  (Read 1431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellie.henry
« on: October 05, 2007 06:40:28 PM »

So after a long 7 month haul of pregnancy and a blanket disaster, I have finaly finished my first knitting project for my baby to be. Simple, yes. Did it only take an hour, yes. But dammit I am proud of them. Especially since I have to start all over on the blanket!

Hat is in progress and booties will come next. They are all minty green 100% Wool. And it was on sale!! Knit on #5 DPNS and a simple crochet chain to keep them together. Enjoy my "work".

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007 06:53:19 PM »

hmm.  Wool is warm... but it can cause problems on that fresh, soft baby skin.  You might want to think about lining your mittens with fleece or cotton or something.  Maybe buy some cheap scratch mitts and sew them inside?  THe booties will probably be okay in wool because baby will likely have socks inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellie.henry
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007 07:13:13 PM »

contrasting fleece does sound nice. we'll see how it goes, it is an oddly soft wool, i didn't even realize it was till i got to reading the label.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerieflings

What? Lame? Never...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007 07:13:53 PM »

Wool is fine on most babies, my daughter had wool diaper covers she wore from birth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait, where did those come from?  I swear I didn't go to the craft store, honest!

Let the baby crafting commence!  Cheesy
raggedy anna
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007 07:32:59 PM »

Those are so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheFeltedOwl
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007 07:53:50 PM »

SOO CUTE! Are they foot booties or hand booties? If they are hand booties I would be concerned about the string being a strangulation hazard... maybe its not one long string, I cant tell.

GREAT JOB THOUGH, love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amor_fati
Crafty Nerd for the masses

tasherajean.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 08:20:58 PM »

SOO CUTE! Are they foot booties or hand booties? If they are hand booties I would be concerned about the string being a strangulation hazard... maybe its not one long string, I cant tell.

GREAT JOB THOUGH, love the color!

i was thinking the same thing about the strangulation. but they are lovely. great work.  i am just starting to learn to knit/crochet.  i think i know why the string is there though- so they dont get lost or fall off, right?
maybe you could find a way to attach a short string to the side of a coat or something so they wont get lost and wont pose a risk of strangulation?  just an idea.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.tasherajean.etsy.com

tasherajean.etsy.com
TheFeltedOwl
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007 08:38:33 PM »

Well I have some for my toddlers that have a long string attached but they go through their winter coats (behind their backs and down the sleeves and stay in the coat that way, but beings this is for a baby is mostly why I worried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellie.henry
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007 05:18:27 AM »

have a long string attached but they go through their winter coats (behind their backs and down the sleeves and stay in the coat that way,

that is exactly what they are for, they really come in no contact with baby other than through the sleves, because frankly...a newborn can't keep it's mittens on it self. The mitties thread through the sleves of the coat and go across the inside back, a loop will have to be put in the jacket they are going in to keep the tie secure inside. something as illustrated here:

no worries. i have no plans of baby strangling anytime soon. and I'm not the first or last person to have string mittens! Smiley

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007 05:24:35 AM by ellie.henry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pumpkin Scones for Breakfast
How to Make a Pecan and Plum Galette
How to Make Baked Apples With Rhubarb
How to Make a Pumpkin Bread Pudding
How to Make a Chocolate Pear Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...