A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross-stitching with metallic thread  (Read 557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumpossum
« on: October 05, 2007 04:38:41 PM »

All righty-  here's where I fess up:

I cross-stitched on those plastic mesh thingies as a kid.  I went to snobby lobby a few weeks ago and found pretty much the whole line of Wee Beasties by Dimples Designs on clearance for $5-$8 each (regularly priced in the $30-$40 range per kit Shocked ).  I got so excited, I figured, "this is totally kids stuff" and that it would take nothing.  The patterns are challenging (in a delightful way, though), done with super high quality materials, very fine linen, etc.

The deal is, a lot of the stitches require the stitcher to combine metallic thread with the regular 6 strand floss.  Fine, whatever.  Except the problem is that when I am doing this, if I thread them together and do my stitch, the sparkly pretty metallic stuff tends to get wrapped under the thread and is barely even visible on the finished product.  I mean, I get that's it's supposed to be subtle and not look like Elton John designed it...but maybe if it had like Prince-level glitter, yunno?

Is there a trick to making the metallic thread "pop" a little more?  Do you go through and stitch all of your regular 6-strand floss first, and then go over the pattern with the metallic stuff to make sure it lays on top?

This is the specific pattern I am using at the moment:
http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.pl?item=04-1939 
(seriously, if you want to die over fabulous patterns- think Anthropologie inspired cross-stitch, check out the rest: http://www.123stitch.com/dimples.html)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 07:20:11 AM »

So, I don't have any good advice here but I just had to let you know that your post had me laughing all the way through and those pattens are awesome. Maybe increase the number of metallic thread and decrease the number of regular thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Flia
Purple butterfly

Yarn, pearls, thread, pearls, yarn, yarn, yarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007 09:03:52 AM »

One way is to do all the other stitches first, and the metallic  last.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 08:31:37 AM »

I'm assuming you are using something like Kreinik Blending filament if you are stitching with metallic thread and dmc floss?  I dont know if other people do this, but  when I use the blending filament I take double the length of my floss, fold it in half.  Then i thread the loop through the needle and stick the needle back through the loop, so the BF is sort of tied to the needle.  That way I'm getting 2 strands of the BF.  If I'm not satisfied with the amt of sparkle then I'll stitch the metallic thread on top of the floss (like Flia said.)

Some people will use a laying tool to keep their threads from twisting.  I imagine that would help with the metallic too.  I've never used one though.

I say do whatever gives you the result you like the best.  And don't forget to post a finished pic! Wink

ps damn it! now I'm going to have to go to HL.  Thanks a lot!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plumpossum
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 09:14:39 AM »

MrsBlocko- thanks!  I will definitely be trying this.

I'll put up a photo when I'm closer to finished.  I've got like 1/4 of a wing done, and that has taken me about 3 hours of work to do ( Shocked slow and steady wins the race, right?).  I bet doubling it up the way you said would also prevent it from slipping out of the flippin needle so much too...

And seriously, how on earth did you know exactly what kind of sparkly stuff I'm talking about?  It is indeed Kreinik Blending filament.

And good luck at your local hobby lobby, I had to get on my hands and knees and dig through the bin (however, there were like 4000 kits for red hat society or whatever the crap all that purple and red stuff that old women wear is, and lots of like kittens and puppies that said some stuff about best friends forever and whatnot) just to find the 4 that I got my hands on.  I've got about a dozen bookmarks on my computer now where to find more of the dimples designs kits (except maybe the mermaids making out one...that's just a little weird)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007 06:34:26 AM »

Just a lucky guess!  I've used a lot of the stuff.  I had trouble using it until someone taught me the looping trick.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Crystal Wedding Centerpiece
How to Make a Colorful Centerpiece
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials (with subtitles)
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...