A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I think I know what I want to be for halloween...  (Read 1024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lovely Lesley
« on: October 04, 2007 08:05:16 PM »

Does anyone remember the cartoon Daria, that used to be on MTV? I can't decide if I want to be Daria or Jane (Im an art major, so Jane makes some sense) I can't decide though! Either way I'd need combat boots, which I can't find anywhere. Any suggestions?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."  - Edgar Allan Poe
glass_trees
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007 09:33:10 AM »

if you cant get combat boots, then taking a pair of black or very dark brown hiking boots, socks (matching color) put some holes in the socks and then add some shoe lacing and you have some "combat" boots....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007 11:26:46 AM »

Combat-ish boots are everywhere! Hit up the mall. Hot Topic. Sears, even. Macy's. Thrift stores. Plato's Closet, at least the ones I've been to, ALWAYS has some combaty boots up for resale. I'd recommend against it for ethical reasons, but I have a friend that's gotten great looking boots from WAL MART, of all places, for cheap.
I realize price may be an issue, but, oh man. I *HIGHLY* recommend dishing out 50 bucks or so for a rocking pair of boots that you can wear all the time. For Halloween two years ago, I strolled into Sears and came out with these babies, sadly not at all on sale, for $60:

and they have served me well since. They are fabulous. I've put them through tons of punishment and they have treated me well and look great. You can walk in them, run in them, kick in them, no problem! With stockings, thigh highs, or just normal socks? With skirts, dresses, or, if that's not your thing, just under your pants, mostly hidden?! Pseudo combat boots can do it all. If NOTHING else, you'll probably find ways to wear and rewear them for Halloween after Halloween. So many costumes are improved by a pair of faux combat boots. But, seriously--get a comfy pair, not too much of a platform, and you can do anything in them. I can sprint in mine--not as well as I can in sneakers, but impressively close.
Fake combat boots beat real ones any day of the week, because although you can play around with the laces, you don't need to tighten them to put them on. There's a zipper up the side! And no one can tell there's a zipper unless they are WAY too close to your feet! It's great. Real combat boots are such a pain to get on and off.

You can always find some on line for pretty cheap; if you want to go less comfy and more goth girly, demonia shoes is a good place to go. Here's some on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pd_sl_aw_flat-hi_shoesinternal_16535190_1/?node=1040668&field-keywords=demonia%20shoes

Although you can find most of them cheaper by searching on the internet in various places. I got a really good price (like half of what they usually go for) from somewhere for  halloween last year.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but i love shoes. And the boot cover slip on things you can get from costume shops always look so tacky. And I firmly believe every girl should have a pair of sexy but useful combat boots in her closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
Tenille
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007 11:59:28 AM »

If you want actual Combat Boots, Try an army surplus store. almost every town I've ever been in has one. You might find some there. Other than that I agree with SquidPrincess  check out places like Walmart. They almost always have some fairly cheap variations of combat boots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
llamas
I brought sexy back, and all I got was store credit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007 09:42:23 PM »

Random, but SquidPrincess, I have those boots too and love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 10/12
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 2/2
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Braided Joining
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Net Stitch
How to Join Crocheted Yoyos with Regular Net Joining
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...