A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with design  (Read 2245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scrapnchick

Howdy Doody Toody Froody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008 09:15:12 AM »

Ok, I know I am too late but I am going to add my two cents anyway LOL.

Are you making this as a bed quilt? Or as a lap quilt?

Here are my thoughts.
#1-lap quilt- go for color. It can be used as an accent in a room either across the back of a neutral couch, or thrown off the arm of a chair. A punch of color to liven a space.

#2 as a bed quilt- go for the white. An all color quilt can be overwhelming in a small space, also that much color can darken a room and make it seem dull. If done in white with squares of color, the color will pop and allow her to use it as a starting ground for a color theme. She can brighten it up by adding a green throw across the foot of the bed and some bright art in the room.

The white is more contemporary, the all color is more traditional. Is your friend more modern or more traditional? What will she appreciate the most?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeanette
Wife to him
Mom to them
Chantelle
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008 03:24:47 PM »

I am making this as a bed quilt, and I hadn't thought abouut what it would like in a room, as far as making it seem smaller or darker. Most of my fabrics are fairly light, so hopefully that wouldn't be too much of a problem? I'm getting worried about it now, though! My friend is traditional with some things, contemporary in others, but I think overall she leans more towards traditional. I've made it a few rows into the quilt (yeah, I'm not a very fast sewer!), and the idea of basically starting over is not exactly thrilling me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chantelle
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008 03:29:26 PM »

On a somewhat unrelated note, I wonder if any of you can help me with my stitch length. I have an old Singer featherweight that was my great-grandmother's. I took it in to get it repaired (the motor was in desperate need of some loving attention!) a couple months ago, and it had been working beautifully. But lately the stitch length has been really inconsistent, like sometimes a few inches will be skipped before another stitch is made, and sometimes it'll sew perfectly even for a while, and then all of a sudden skip like half an inch, and then go back to being normal. Is it maybe like a tension issue? I'm not exactly a sewing machine expert, since I've just been teaching myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008 07:31:38 AM »

Hrm. That *almost* seems more like a feed dogs / speed issue to me, more than anything, but I know very little in these matters. Might want to phone up a few repair places and just ask them what they think it might be? (Similar to calling five mechanics and describing the noise your car just started making, to see if there's a consensus Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lefty33
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008 10:15:28 AM »

Skipped stitches can sometimes be a problem with the needle.  I'd try using a new one.  And of course make sure it's not a needle for stretch fabric.  Stretch needles on non-knits and "normal" needles on knits can make stitches skip a lot.  Even if it is the right needle, try a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A triumph of pure reason, or else a disaster of abstract thought.  You never can tell which will be which until you try."  Adam Gopnik, The King in the Window
Chantelle
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008 09:07:29 AM »

I had tried replacing the needle, and it didn't change anything. So I finally took it in to the shop that's right near my house, and it turns out I had the needle in backwards. So now the mystery's solved and I feel like an idiot! But the good news is the machine is working like a dream and it didn't cost anything to find out I'm a moron!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008 09:25:48 AM »

Quote from: Chantelle
it turns out I had the needle in backwards. So now the mystery's solved and I feel like an idiot!

Don't feel that way - with old machines that can happen!  My Mom's machine is super old and I know she's had that problem.

Look at the bright side, as you said, it didn't cost anything to get it fixed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JeanC
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008 07:20:16 PM »

Ok, I may be late to the discussion, but I did a quilt with a block similar to this last year that turned out really great.  The block itself is really simple, but the arrangment can make it really stunning AND this combines both your colored block and your white block ideas!

The blocks were assorted blue / teal / purples around a center square with a butterfly print.  After I pieced the blocks, I used a white sashing with colored cornerstones to tie the colors together.

I can't post photos at this time, but here's a link to the picture.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=104365
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chantelle
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008 03:16:03 PM »

Ok, I may be late to the discussion, but I did a quilt with a block similar to this last year that turned out really great.  The block itself is really simple, but the arrangment can make it really stunning AND this combines both your colored block and your white block ideas!

The blocks were assorted blue / teal / purples around a center square with a butterfly print.  After I pieced the blocks, I used a white sashing with colored cornerstones to tie the colors together.

I can't post photos at this time, but here's a link to the picture.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=104365

That is such a lovely quilt-I love the colors with the white. Thank you for sharing that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Flesh Tone to a Fashion Drawing
Drawing Clothes on a Fashion Figure
Drawing a Fashion Figure
The Basics of Fashion Drawing
How to Make a Tattoo Stencil by Hand
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...