A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for Noro Silk Garden?  (Read 805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« on: December 16, 2004 10:04:40 AM »

When I was visiting NYC a couple of weeks ago, I made a little field trip to Purl in Soho.  I wanted to buy some yarn, so I could make myself a sort of souvenir of the day, but I could only afford to buy a little bit.  I didn't know what I wanted to make, so I was having difficulty picking out something (SO much to choose!), and my sister convinced me to just buy the yarn I kept being drawn to, even if I didn't have a plan for it and it didn't go with anything I already have.

So I bought this gorgeous Noro Silk Garden, but could only afford 2 skeins of it.  I had thought maybe I'd make a little felted purse, but I didn't realize til I got home that it's a wool/silk blend rather than 100% wool (I didn't even read the label, I just grabbed it for the colors).

What can I make with only 2 skeins?  I don't want to make a hat or handwarmers, because the colors don't match my coat -- but also because I want to make something more sorta "special" than that.  I thought about making a light netty scarf, so that I could wear it with clothes, not just as outdoor wear, but I think it might be too warm and also might look weird (but I don't know).

I also thought maybe I could over time get a few more skeins to go with it -- I couldn't match the dye lot, but I could get a neutral color or something.

Last note -- I am a BEGINNER!  But I'm not afraid to jump into a pattern and try to figure it out, either.  Anyone have any good ideas?  I'd really hate to have bought this special treat splurge yarn for myself and then have it sit in a drawer for years.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
subloke
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004 12:15:36 PM »

I wonder how it would look in a pattern like clapotis from knitty?  i haven't used that yarn, but i think it might be the right weight for clapotis. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
killerdaisy
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004 06:31:51 PM »

some people have used SG for clapotis - cari over at "dogs steal yarn" has pics of her SG clapotis on her blog (dogsstealyarn.com i think). but you need more than 2 sks to do the full size - upwards of 6 i think

you could order more from purl if you have the money...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMonkey
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004 07:26:02 PM »

The clapotis pattern has directions to make it smaller, so maybe you can try that.  It would certainly be my vote  Smiley  It might also look good as a scarf in feather and fan lace, a very easy pattern.  Or, if you're looking for something that's not wearable, it might make a nice pillow cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Jenna<br /><br />Check out my Knitting Blog!<br />http://pinkmonkeyknits.blogspot.com
edamame
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004 06:13:07 AM »

the multidirectional diagonal scarf works well with that yarn, and it uses 1-2 sk.
(well,depending on how big you make it!).

Here's the pattern:
http://douma.net/Karen/knitting/Accessory-Scarves/Multidirectional_Diagonal_Scarf.htm

And here you can see what it looks like:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11224.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuthief
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004 12:33:24 PM »

I just saw a picture of someone's multidirectional scarf made with the Silk Garden: http://jacqknits.typepad.com/my_escape_from_the_boys/2004/12/_my_sisters_mul.html.  Very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 100 Pokemon: Charizard
Top 100 Pokemon: Dragonite
Top 100 Pokemon: Lugia
Top 100 Pokemon: Mew
Top 100 Pokemon: Mewtwo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...