A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glow-in-the-Dark ghost pendants + mini-tutorial  (Read 2566 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2007 10:32:50 AM »

MistressH asked what kinds of things we've made for Halloween with polymer clay over in the Discussions & Questions board, so I thought I'd post a photo of one thing I've made (don't think I've posted it before, but could have).

Here's the info from my site about how I made them, along with some other suggestions:

flat ghost polymer treats (to give out for trick-or-treating) ... cutouts
...I made some ghosties from glow-in-the-dark clay to give as treats instead of candy one year
...I used a ghost cutter I made from a cat food tin, plus tiny cutters (mostly Kemper plunger ones)  in shapes like ovals, circles, triangles, leaves, stars, etc. for the eyes and mouth (for some I used straws or straws that I partially squashed)
...I made scary ones and sweet ones so the kids could choose (for some of the sweet ones, I used a bit of pink blush and/or powdered chalk on the raw cheeks, pounced with a brush)
...instead of making a hole in the top of each ghost, I attached a tiny clay tube (horizontally) to the back of each one, then baked them face down
...after baking, I used quick and cheap waxed-linen cording to thread through the tube to turn them into pendant necklaes
...some of them got a little toasty in the oven (Premo's glow in the dark clay is obviously more sensitive to darkening than Fimo's so those are now my Ghosties of Color -- later I tented them and put a wooden block under my baking pan in the toaster oven and they stayed light... next time I'll probably just bury them in baking soda)
(......there's a lesson on putting a tubes on the backs of the pendants so the cording doesn't show in Pendants > Tube Holes... surprisingly, the black cording didn't show through the GITD clay)
(..was afraid I might get a few complaints because it wasn't candy, but that part turned out fine even for the older kids)  Diane B.

....instead of cutting out and removing the facial features, tiny cutouts of eyes/mouths made from black clay or from clay ropes could be onlaid on top of the ghost cutouts
....cheek "blush" especially for the non-smiley ghosts could be done with green powder instead of pink (eyeshadow, sidewalk chalk powdered on sheet of sandpaper, etc)
....if you're not making too many, it should be possible to create either the ghost shapes or the features by using a hat pin or Xacto knife, etc, rather than a cutter; each one could be individual that way too.... roll the clay to be cut down firmly onto a smooth surface like a tile so it will stick well before trying to do the lines or cuts ... putting the clay onto a surface which can be rotated also will allow smoother cutting when doing curves and diff. directions, etc.

(comments from others, long ago:)
....What a terrific idea! I am definitely making ghosties and black cats, etc for Halloween giveaways next year! Dianne C.
....could also make werewolf claws and teeth. Sonya
....I would much prefer my kids to get something like that over candy any day! Stephanie

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011 09:59:37 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
chattyKathi
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007 07:40:48 PM »

you know I have been trying to figure out what to bring to my kids Halloween parties at school since we can no longer bring  homeade or sweet sugary snacks in. this might be the thing!! very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007 09:11:09 AM »

All the kids who came to my door (even the over-5 foot variety  Grin) really loved these and didn't seem to miss the candy at all (I had been a bit worried too).

If you use glow-in-the-dark clay for them, be sure to tell the kids how to "charge" them with light (at least a few minutes) so they can glow for awhile when they get home and it gets dark.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Robotragicomedy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007 11:40:02 AM »

I love the one with stars for eyes. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I go to seek a Great Perhaps.

whatintheworld.etsy .com
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 08:14:01 PM »

You are the greatest Diane!!
Thanks for posting these!
They look like so much fun!
 Smiley Cheesy Grin Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
jenihall
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 10:15:33 AM »

I absolutely love this! I can see these hanging in my window, glowing eerily in the darkness Cool. I might have to get my nephews and my son together to make ghost pendants instead of cookies this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chattyKathi
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 07:28:55 PM »

well I finally got my first supply of sculptey today I tried to make these ghosts but I did it free hand and it was quite warm in the kitchen, I had a really hard time. they came out ok, I used regular white and black clay. I need a cookie cutter!! baking was difficult because I have not thermometer for my toaster oven. but I did make some other halloweeny things , my kids liked them I am turning them into book marks buy hot gluing them onto tongue depressers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007 11:43:06 AM »

I finally got my first supply of sculptey today ...I did make some other halloweeny things , my kids liked them I am turning them into book marks buy hot gluing them onto tongue depressers

(Just a note of warning.  If you want to make thin items from polymer clay and especially if they will be used and get stressed, Sculpey clays are not the best way to go because they'll break more easily than other brands of polymer clay in situations like that.  --FimoSoft would be a little better, but Premo, FimoClassic, and Kato would be strongest even when thin.)

I tried to make these ghosts but I did it free hand and it was quite warm in the kitchen, I had a really hard time.

One tip there is to cool the clay before trying to freehand-cut it--especially the softer brands.  Just roll your clay sheet down firmly onto a slick ceramic tile or a sheet of glass (the glass from small frames is handy), then put the whole thing in the freezer or frig for awhile (at least 10 min).  When you take it out, the clay will be stiffer, and still nicely stuck down to the cutting surface. 
Then drag the pin at an angle through the clay, making sure it's touching the glass/tile at bottom ... it's best if you can turn the work surface with your other hand while making the whole shape so you can always cut toward yourself.  Also best not to pick up and move the needle tool or whatever you're using then replace it for the next part of the cut, if you can't turn the work surface (tile, glass).
Then just bake the ghost(s) right on the surface without disturbing it.

Another way to make soft clays firmer is to "leach" out some of their oils.  To do that, roll the clay out, then sandwich it in between several layers of unprinted paper ... either put a piece of plastic wrap on top, then weight it with a heavy book/etc., or roll it up into a tube and hold tightly with a rubber band or something.  Do that for a few hours, and the clay will become stiffer (though may be slightly more brittle after baking).

I used regular white and black clay.

Cool!  Did you put the black features on top of the white ghost shapes, or what?

I need a cookie cutter!!

At least there should be a bunch of them around right now at Michaels, etc., because it's getting so close to Halloween.

baking was difficult because I have not thermometer for my toaster oven.

That can definitely be a problem, especially if you're trying to keep white ghosts white --again that will be more difficult with white Sculpey or white Sculpey III.   
You'll probably definitely want to use some kind of "enclosed" baking method, like the one I mentioned before re just burying the clay in baking soda or cornstarch.  Since your ghosts may be stuck down to their baking surfaces on the bottom though, you will want to place the glass on top of pan with baking soda/etc on it, or at least raise the glass a bit so it won't be touching the metal underneath too much.

Pictures!  Pictures! .... please  Grin

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007 11:48:04 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
pursegal
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007 03:08:03 PM »

great love the step by step
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design T-Shirts With Potato Stamps
How to Knit Spell Bound Scarves
How to Make a Tooth Fairy Pillow
How to Create Laminated Service Lists
How to Make Furry Inch Worms for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...