A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheted rag rug  (Read 14383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stranger Flower
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007 09:03:03 AM »

This is fan-fricking-tastic!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007 09:07:09 AM »

Your rug is wonderful.
I've been wanting to do a rag rug for awhile.
What material and hook size did you use?

Cheesy pinkleo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007 09:15:50 AM »

I'm dying to make a rag rug!  I just saw a pattern for one from "A Prairie Girl's Guide to Life" in the latest issue of Bust.

How long did this take you?

It took me about a week.  It works up really fast - but tearing all that fabric is a little time consuming !

Your rug is wonderful.
I've been wanting to do a rag rug for awhile.
What material and hook size did you use?

Cheesy pinkleo

You know what ? i just went and looked at my hook & it doesn't have a size?! I was donated this hook from my aunt - so i'm not exactly sure what size it is? it's a really big one - I think i've seen them at Joann fabrics.. size Q rings a bell?

I used cotton sheets & some different yards of fabric I had in my stash.
your rug is really nice!  I've always wanted to make one like that, but i don't know how to crochet!  is it a project a beginner could do? 

oh yes, its definately a beginner project. It's just single crochet in the round.  super easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixie
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007 09:18:49 AM »

Love it, thanks for the mini-tut. I've been saving my kids old clothes they just can't part with (they really aren't even good enough for good will) and I think this might do the trick. I was going to knit one, but I recently learned to crochet, man is it faster!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007 09:29:54 AM »

Love it, thanks for the mini-tut. I've been saving my kids old clothes they just can't part with (they really aren't even good enough for good will) and I think this might do the trick. I was going to knit one, but I recently learned to crochet, man is it faster!!!

if you have different blends of fabrics.. i'd recommend the thicker heavier fabric made into slightly smaller width strips than the thinner/cotton blends.  That way the 'yarn' has a somewhat even consistency and it won't pull the other rows.  Here's a warning though.. heavier blends of fabric are even harder on the hands for this project!  My hands were so sore from this project but during the one heavier row it was really a killer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007 09:42:13 AM »

Wow, that's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
MissNoemi
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007 09:47:24 AM »

That's beautiful! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007 09:48:17 AM »

i love it! your colors are great, it's so bright and cheerful...i want one!

:adds "learn to crochet" to list of things to do: Cheesy
Love it! The colors are gorgeouss

thanks! speaking of color....My husband cringed his nose when I started the rug.. the first few colors (purple, blue) he thought I was crazy~~~ but after completion he realized I did have a method to my madness ! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annamhudson
Love, Laugh, Live, Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007 09:49:24 AM »

I just have a recommendation for tearing the sheets.

I found it you have a omnigrid and rotary cutter this can be faster. What you need to do is fold the sheet several times until it about 12-18 high! So it will be really long. Then you make sure the edges stick out more than the rest. and you cut strips except for the two edges. Then you unfold and cut every other side. Then you don't have to sew or anything on edges. you just have one long huge piece! If it doesn't make sense, let me know! I have a hard time explaining things!

oops i just read that you made  one continuous piece of fabric! But the omnigrid helps tons!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007 09:51:43 AM by annamhudson » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007 09:53:44 AM »

I just have a recommendation for tearing the sheets.

I found it you  have a omnigrid and rotary cutter this can be faster. What you need to do is fold the sheet several times until it about 12-18 high! So it will be really long. Then you make sure the edges stick out more than the rest. and you cut strips except for the two edges. Then you unfold and cut every other side. Then you don't have to sew or anything on edges. you just have one long huge piece! If it doesn't make sense, let me know! I have a hard time explaining things!

thanks for that info. I'm not sure if you seen the edit to my post about how I did it (I understood your explaination just fine Smiley - not sure if mine made any sense though..i hadn't realized how hard it is to explain this stuff isnt it?!) anyways.. I also didn't knot or sew the ends and just made one continous piece ( that is until I started a new color )..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All Natural Beauty Tips Using Items Found In Your Kitchen
Plus-Size Model Stuns In Robyn Lawley Swimwear
Best Acne Treatment Products
The Newest Urban Decay Naked Palette Review
5 Glamorous Holiday Makeup Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...