A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cable Luxe Tunic KAL?  (Read 39384 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #240 on: December 28, 2007 03:36:54 PM »

Well, I decided to start mine over.  It's coming out a little on the small side.  My gauge was right on in stockinette stitch, which is the only gauge they give you in the LB version.  I guess my cables are tighter though because it's coming out smaller than the specified measurements.  For instance it says the cable yoke should be 4 1/2 inches wide on the diagram but mine was only 3 1/2 inches.  I'm still going to use the same size needles and just make a bigger size to compensate because if I go up a needle size I think the stitches are too loose.  I already frogged everything except the cable yoke which just needs to be made a little longer for the larger size. 

You know, I started mine (finally!!!) and I had trouble getting the gauge with the plastic needles I started with. After I switched to a new set of metal ones (yea husband for listening to what I want for Xmas!), its been a lot easier.

My only trouble is that I don't *exactly* understand the instruction "knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you" on row 2. What I've been doing is essentially repeating the row as previously with knits instead of cables (ie 6 knit stitches instead of 3/3 LC). It looks nice, but I can't find a detail photograph to see if its correct.

And the 3/3 RC isn't defined in the instructions, so I've been doing "slip 3 to the back on a cable needle, knit 3, then knit 3 from cable needle". So mine might be unique anyway LOL.

My wireless on the laptop isn't working so I couldn't look up the craftster thread until my parents computer got back from the shop today. Total withdrawl!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2007 03:50:54 PM »

knit the knits and purl the purls = what that means is when you look at the knitting, it'll LOOK like it wants to be a knit (a purl from the prior row) or a purl (a knit from the prior row) - they're just saying to do those stitches in stockinette stitch method.

make sense?

and as long as you do your cables consistantly - 3R always to the back and 3L always to the front, it won't matter.

You know, I started mine (finally!!!) and I had trouble getting the gauge with the plastic needles I started with. After I switched to a new set of metal ones (yea husband for listening to what I want for Xmas!), its been a lot easier.

My only trouble is that I don't *exactly* understand the instruction "knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you" on row 2. What I've been doing is essentially repeating the row as previously with knits instead of cables (ie 6 knit stitches instead of 3/3 LC). It looks nice, but I can't find a detail photograph to see if its correct.

And the 3/3 RC isn't defined in the instructions, so I've been doing "slip 3 to the back on a cable needle, knit 3, then knit 3 from cable needle". So mine might be unique anyway LOL.

My wireless on the laptop isn't working so I couldn't look up the craftster thread until my parents computer got back from the shop today. Total withdrawl!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
carinalou
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2007 02:10:51 PM »

Yay, I just finished my garter yoke!  Now all I need to do is the body and sleeves... I have a bad feeling this thing won't be done before winter is over.

For the cable yoke, I started with a provisional cast-on and grafted the ends using the kitchener stitch because I didn't want a visible seam. I was going to knit the garter yoke in the round, also to avoid a seam, but I realized that after decreasing stitches, my work would be too short for a 24-inch circular needle.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007 02:39:25 PM by carinalou - Reason: add pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2007 04:53:16 PM »

Looking good so far! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
cfbandit

« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2007 06:55:30 PM »

knit the knits and purl the purls = what that means is when you look at the knitting, it'll LOOK like it wants to be a knit (a purl from the prior row) or a purl (a knit from the prior row) - they're just saying to do those stitches in stockinette stitch method.

make sense?

D'oh! That's what I was afraid it meant. Now I'm going to have to make a decision - keep my three garter stitch cables or go back and redo them as stockinette cables.

That's one of the silliest instructions I think I've ever read <sigh>.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2007 07:04:37 PM »

That's one of the silliest instructions I think I've ever read <sigh>.

actually, i've seen it in a bunch of patterns - rather than trying to count out how many purls and how many knits, they just say knit the knits and purl the purls......  so whatever it looks like (a knit or a purl) when you're up to that stitch, that's how you knit/purl it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2008 06:06:47 AM »

The yoke looks great Carinalou!!! Love that grape soda color.

I like the idea of grafting instead of having a seam. I am ordering my yarn today with xmas green and can't wait to get started.   I will definitely be using your idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julsey723
How do I know about reality? I just play with sticks and string.

do you have jello?

« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2008 09:24:17 PM »

wow, absolutely EVERYONE is knocking this off...even Daisy Fuentes for Kohl's !!!  (who knew she had a clothing line? I sure didn't!) It was on sale for $25 in the store, but 100% scratchy acrylic.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/womensbrands/daisyfuentes/PRD~279716/daisy+fuentes+CableKnit+Cardigan.jsp#

THIS ROCKS   Logged

**PM me if you have a copy of Patons Street Smart for sale or swap**
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ __________________
blog: www.peonyknits.blog spot.com
shop: www.julsey723.etsy. com
cfbandit

« Reply #248 on: January 05, 2008 07:13:42 AM »

wow, absolutely EVERYONE is knocking this off...even Daisy Fuentes for Kohl's !!!  (who knew she had a clothing line? I sure didn't!) It was on sale for $25 in the store, but 100% scratchy acrylic.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/womensbrands/daisyfuentes/PRD~279716/daisy+fuentes+CableKnit+Cardigan.jsp#

Ooh! I like the collar detailing instead of the plain garter on the LB version. I don't like the cable crosses on the yoke like that though.

Nice idea with a cardi, though. My mom saw the one I was working on and said it'd be "a great idea" to make her one too - I'm going to be working on this project forever!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinalou
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2008 11:29:34 AM »

it says to 'work even in pattern as established until Row 2 of second repeat of the center cable has been worked'

On the next line, for the next row, it says to do row 3 of the 3/3LC Cable thing AND row 3 of the 4/4 Center Cable thing. The row 3 of the Center Cable makes sense... after all, you just finished row 2, and so it would make sense to do row three, but if I were to do row 3 of the 3/3 LC, then I would be doing the cable some 4 rows earlier, and in the picture, there doesn't appear to be an early cable.

I think I might be misreading the pattern, and I should repeat the entire Center Cable thing 2 times, and then do the repeat after the 2nd row on the third repeat? Because then the patterns for the 3/3 cable and the 4/4 cable would coincide.

Autumnleaf, did you figure this out?  I just got to the same point (on the LB pattern) and I'm confused.  The other thing I find confusing is that when I "work even in pattern as established until row 2 of second rep of center cable has been worked" I've only knit about 2 inches past the pickup row.  The heading on the next part of the pattern is "waist shaping" but I don't know anyone whose waist is 2 inches below their armpits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Miso Glazed Rockfish
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Ginger-Scallion Chicken Wings Recipe
Beef and Pineapple Red Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...