A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter is Coming embroidered wolf pouch (warning- semi-dorky)  (Read 4656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2007 06:33:22 PM »

This is a belt pouch I made and embroidered for my brother as a birthday/graduation/going-away present.  He left for a China a few weeks ago and will be there until January.

The front is the sigil and motto of house Stark from the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin (that's the dorky part)  Grin . Were both fans of the books, and our last name is Wolf, so it seemed appropriate.

Heres the back. I embroidered it with Chinese characters, which was a bit of a gamble, since I cant read/write Chinese. I kept thinking of all of those people with kanji tattoos that are supposed to say Faith or Strength, but they really say Dirty Whore or something equally embarasssing.

My brother has a friend from Taiwan who happened to be at his going away/birthday party, and Evan (my brother) asked if he could read it. His response was, It looks like a childs handwriting, but I can read it. It says Red Wolf, a nickname his friends gave him because of our Russian heritage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goofipinay
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007 06:36:16 PM »

that's a nice present to make for your brother
I LOVE the wolf =D
how long did it take??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teriyakimoto
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007 06:41:35 PM »

I love those books.  Great job on the pouch.  The wolf looks awesome.  I know what you mean about the kanji, because this woman showed my mother (who is chinese) her tattoo.  She thought it said 'smells good'.  My mom said it actually said stinky.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007 06:47:40 PM »

Heres the back. I embroidered it with Chinese characters, which was a bit of a gamble, since I cant read/write Chinese. I kept thinking of all of those people with kanji tattoos that are supposed to say Faith or Strength, but they really say Dirty Whore or something equally embarasssing.
Well, as long as you didn't "tramp stamp" it on him, it wouldn't have been too bad.  Wink

I love the texture of the wolf's fur, it looks so great and bristly. I'll bet it'll be really handy for travelling. Plus, the dorky presents are the best, aren't they?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007 01:29:57 AM »

Well done. I love the embroidered wolf. BIg Fan of the books too. I wish he'd get the next book out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlecloud

" The cake is a lie."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007 05:31:12 AM »

nice work....   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 05:40:31 PM »

I love the wolf!  Those books are fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
arwena
Art could be ever so funny if it wasn't such a deadly serious business.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007 07:30:07 PM »

I absolutely LOVE ASOIAF - my absolute fave, so of course i had to check out this post, and i think you did a great job, it looks very nice (here is to waiting for A Dance with Dragons...!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my blog at www.prettylittlethi ngs.com
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007 10:10:56 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  This is only my 2nd or 3rd go at embroidering anything for reals. 

that's a nice present to make for your brother
I LOVE the wolf =D
how long did it take??

I'm not sure exactly, because I didn't really keep track... many episodes of the Gilmore Girls on DVD, haha.  If i had to ballpark, I'd say at least 6 hours?

I love those books.  Great job on the pouch.  The wolf looks awesome.  I know what you mean about the kanji, because this woman showed my mother (who is chinese) her tattoo.  She thought it said 'smells good'.  My mom said it actually said stinky.   Cheesy

hehehehhee.  Why would you want a tattoo that said "smells good"?  I used to insist that I was going to get "scratch 'n sniff " tattooed in my armpit.

I love the texture of the wolf's fur, it looks so great and bristly. I'll bet it'll be really handy for travelling. Plus, the dorky presents are the best, aren't they?

Totally.  I'm starting to think I'm only capable of making dorky presents.  I gave my mom polymer clay sushi for her birthday, haha.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007 10:11:36 PM by smarmyclothes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MooseDeEvita
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 04:11:51 PM »

just have to throw it out there that I so don't think it's dorky, I love Song of Ice and Fire

.... and named both my cats after Lannisters...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Flash Tutorial - How to Make Basic Moving Text
How to Touch Up a Photo in 5 Seconds in Photoshop
How to Use the Glowing Lines Effect in Photoshop
How to Use the Dreamy Effect in Photoshop
How to Make an Image Black and White in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...