A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,091
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my machine hates me...please help  (Read 551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ebeth
« on: September 26, 2007 08:48:25 PM »

i think my machine is going on strike...it keeps getting all gummed up (the thread that is)...and now it is so bad, that i only get about 12 inches of sewing before it craps out on me....

im pretty new to sewing, so i dont know if its something that i am doing or if its the machine...ive tried opening it and cleaning the lint, etc out....i tried a new bobbin....

im at a loss and about to have to give up sewing....i really cant take it any more....has anyone had this problem? does anyone have a solution?

here are photos of what happens...

im desperate....if its me - hopefully one of you skilled veterns can show me the error of my ways....if its just my machine - then ill just have to pack it all in and give up (i cant afford to have it looked at or to get a new one)....

a bit melodramatic...i know...its been one of those days  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
KatherineEmma
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007 08:59:43 PM »

I might be barking up the wrong tree here because what I actually know about sewing could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but are you sure you've threaded the machine correctly? 9 times out of 10 when I have a problem, I think I've threaded it right but actually haven't, and if the machine is new to you then it's even more likely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 09:23:23 PM »

First you need to check your tension. Often this type of thing is caused by a bad tension setting - which may vary based on the stitch length, weight of the fabric, weight of the thread.....

You should also check to see if your machine has a bobbin tension adjustment.  mine has a little screw in the doohickey that holds the bobbin. If it loosens up too much the bobbin thread goes crazy and if it is too tight for the weight of the thread, the bobbin thread just breaks.

To go along with the prior poster - it may seem dumb but make sure that the thread is actually going between the tension plates and not behind them... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007 09:25:51 PM »

oh!  I think I know this one!  I think KatherineEmma was barking up the right tree.  That looks exactly like you're not getting the right top tension.  Double check that your machine is threaded correctly, especially the arm bit that goes up and down and the loopy bit where the thread is (usually) pressed between two metal discs (check your tension setting, too, if you have it.)

Don't feel bad about it, and don't give up on sewing!  I've been practically sewn to a sewing machine for the last ten years and got tripped up by the same kind of problem just a few weeks ago. 

You said that it will sew for about 12 inches before it starts doing that, so it could be slipping off the arm bit while you're busy watching the needle.  try sewing a few straight seams while watching the thread go through, but be careful of your fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
Kayster
Meatloaf, Beatloaf, I HATE meatloaf

I'm growing up and living life...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007 08:27:11 AM »

this happens to me all the time.  It looks like your bobbin is in backwards.  Just flip it and try again.  My bobbin has a case and when it is in the case and you pull the thread the bobbin should be rotate clockwise.  Every machine is a little different but before you start messing with tensions which can get messy... try flipping the bobbin.   I think it is the best place to start and I've had the exact problem many a times
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007 08:28:25 AM by Kayster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

perpleflwrchild
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007 08:32:29 AM »

I had an old Singer that did something like that occasionally.  It happened when the top thread slipped out of the tension disks.  I too am broke, so I just learned to listen for a different sound, and put the thread back as soon as it happened. 

You might also try a brand new needle.  A bent needle can cause worlds of pain for sewing machines. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ebeth
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 08:14:18 AM »

thank you so much for all of your suggestions and encouragement....i worked my way through all of them...unfortunatel y, nothing seemed to work...so...i finally changed my stitch length and the size of the little cap thing that holds on the thread...

im not sure if it was a fluke...or if one or both things helped, but i was able to finish the changing pad that i was making...

i am half anxious and half wary to start a new project Sad

thanks again for your responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007 05:35:00 PM »

i finally changed my stitch length and the size of the little cap thing that holds on the thread...

that is more than likely your tension knob ; )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007 06:46:01 PM »

You might also want to try changing your needle more often - my thread always tangles when I get lazy about needle changing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Statement Nail Inspiration
Get the 2-Minute Smoky Eye With Tips From Kayleen McAdams!
Sofia Vergara Named Head and Shoulders Spokesperson
How To Get Gel Nails at Home
7 Fabulous Winter Beauty Fixes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...