A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what's the best thread?  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hockamama
« on: July 31, 2007 07:12:04 PM »

hey, y'all, I need some advice and figured this was the best place to get it.  my husband just bought me a babylock ellure.  for the last few years I have been cursing at using a brother I bought at walmart, and while I wanted a better machine, I'm really cheap and didn't want to spend lots of money.  however, this will probably be the last machine I ever buy, so I'm sure it will pay for itself after several decades awhile. 

being cheap, I buy most of my sewing supplies at walmart.  the lady at the quilt shop who sold us the machine told me not to use coats and clark thread, that it ravels when it comes through the machine.  now, I  don't want to use any thread that will damage my new baby, but I also don't want to buy thread that costs 4 times as much just because the quilt shop wants me to spend my money there.

I trust the opinions and information I get here, so please, lay them on me!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
l_coburn85
Love Me Do

Not a girl who misses much...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007 01:01:10 PM »

im a cheapy like you and i hate spending money, but when it comes to thread, if i cheap out, i just end up getting frustrated. i only use guuterman now. its not too pricey, but its definitley worth it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007 11:25:42 AM »

I always use Coats and Clark and never have a problem (but I have a Viking).  I've also used Guttermans and a few other brands (metrosene? something like that) and I've noticed that all of them fray a bit coming through the machine.

Honestly, it does sound like the lady was feeding you a line.  I'd try it and if you have a lot of problems with the thread, then don't use it.  Also, most of the major sewing stores have 50% off sales on thread during regular holidays, so you can just pick up the more common colors (white, black, ivory, beige, navy and whatever else you use) to have them ready for when you need them.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007 09:08:01 PM »

I buy the cheap stuff - my machine was marked down to less than $100, my thread is less than $1, and rarely do I buy fabric for more than $2/yd.

So far, all the bad stuff that's happened has been MY mistake, like not taking into account the edge of my "brocade" was fraying, and sewing too close to the edge, or not making a strong enough seam in a skirt for a 4 year old... or using the thread that's over 20 years old...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 01:40:05 AM »

I live in Sri Lanka, a third world country where the thread you buy is manufactured.  The stuff that's sold locally are usually the seconds - the rejects & castoffs that didn't make the inspection.  That's all I can get and that's all I use.

I still don't have problems with thread.

I would tend to not believe that lady either until/unless I'd run some of that thread through and saw for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellp74
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007 10:18:38 AM »

I was told the same thing about Coats & Clark thread by two different sewing instructors with regards to my own new (to me) sewing machine (a refurbished Bernina).

I bought a "starter set" of Gutermann thread (26 assorted colors) on sale at JoAnn's for $20, and I stock up on basic colors of Gutermann (black, white, red, navy, etc) when it's on sale at JoAnn's.

If you wait for sales, you won't have to pay much more for thread than if you use "cheap" thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007 05:48:49 AM »

It all depends on your machine.

I have a White that's a few years old.  My mother has a White that's a few hundred years old (okay, slight exaggeration).  They both will sew exclusively Coats & Clark cotton-covered polyester thread.  I cannot stand polyester/rayon thread, and neither can my machine. 

Watch out, though!!!  My super-huge Jo-Ann, along with the nasty ghetto Jo-Ann close to me, have purged their regular display of happy Coats & Clark for new "improved" polyester-covered polyester.  What's wrong with this, folks?  They don't even sell my kind of thread any more.  Sure, they still have 100% cotton for quilting and hand-sewing, albeit in many fewer colors, but my White does not like polyester thread.  So I went to Wal Mart, which I detest, because they still have my happy thread. 

This is bad if you are sewing things to be dyed, because polyester will not take dye the same as cotton, if you are sewing something cotton.  I also think it is more prone to shredding. 

Anyone else come across this new thread at Jo-Ann?  It's in a flashy neon display case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007 05:59:28 AM »

maybe im just lucky, but my $400 machine takes my $2 dollar thread (unless im embroidering, then its more expensive) and does a stellar job...

and i have a Brother machine, and i use Coats & Clark....and i sew ALOT...and i quilt...i even mock serge (which is really awesome)...the thread doesnt fray in my machine at all (it the home embroidery machine, with the thread cassette, and the Disney *shock* logo)

when i buy my embroidery thread, i buy either sulky or gutterman, but it varies by whats on sale...

i think that it will take alot of experimenting on your machine...like a previous poster said, her white doesnt like polyester thread, some machines will be finicky, just like their users....you wont break your machine by trying different thread in it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007 06:29:36 AM »

I have a brother machine and use all types of threads. Most that I use though are over 10 years old, being my dad used to sew, he had boxes full of thread. I have used coats and clark thread, and no problem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007 08:33:55 PM »

I have two different Singers and I used to have a Kenmore; I have been sewing for well over *cough* years and have used all sorts of threads, including some from my GREAT grandma that is over 60 years old...no problems...for most of my projects, I use basic cheap thread on sale...I guess if I expected my clothes to last a lifetime (fashions change too fast for me to expect that!), I would use better quality stuff...uh, then again, probably not... Cheesy

oh--and I use the same old cheap stuff to make quilts that have been through the washer 100's of times...no problems...I agree with MissDisney--try it and adapt to your own machine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Steak With ZipSauce
How to Make ZipSauce Burgers
How to Cook Wild Duck
How to Make a Simple 5-Hour Roast Chicken
Lamb Sliders to go with your Beer
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...