A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: British Pursuit  (Read 10981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jbartistic
« on: October 02, 2007 02:47:28 PM »

So my husband and I are American but we love quite a few comedies on BBC but we don't always get what they are talking about so I revamped Trivia Pursuit into British Pursuit.  It is a British Slang/Terminology version that I'm giving to the hubby as a gift. 

A pic of the whole game set up   
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartistic/1472688065/in/set-72157600259866432/

Close up of of the question and answer cards (they are really more like old school definitions) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartistic/1472688103/in/set-72157600259866432/

and then a close up of the key
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartistic/1473539708/in/set-72157600259866432/

I got the words and definitions from http://www.effingpot.com/

I used the original Trivia Pursuit (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/09/popular_toys/source/16.htm)as my model so that I could incorporate a lot of British iconic imagery into the board...the only version i have is the Pop Culture edition so instead of pie pieces it is a lava lamp, cell phone, etc.  I figure if I find an original version at the thrift store we can use the pies from that and if not we can use the pop culture version. 

I don't know the post off hand, but to make all the images black on a colored background like the orginal game I used photoshop threshold, that is something I learned from a Craftster post for making stencils...I couldn't find the first post I saw about that to link and give credit so if you want a shout out just post it in the comments  Wink

Thanks for looking at my first challenge entry

~JB

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007 05:12:11 PM by jbartistic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
violet71
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007 03:48:18 PM »

As a Brit, that is ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007 03:56:02 PM »

Very cool!  It looks like there was a lot of thought put into this.  I wish there were some shots of how you made it, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
jbartistic
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007 07:15:27 PM »

I actually did most of this work on the computer...it is my best crafty tool. 

Most of my time was spent finding images that I "think" are iconic for Britain.  There were 6 colors and 9 images for each so I needed at least 54 images.  I found most online with google images.  I used the threshold feature in Photoshop layers to make each image that silkscreen black. After that I filled with a multiply setting with the appropriate background color.  I sized the images down to about 150 pixels wide so I wouldn't need to do a ton of scaling once i was ready to put the images into the board.

The other hard part was creating the board game outline...math is not my strong suite so instead of calculating exactly where all the lines to divide the areas between each wedge category I just eyeballed it.

The outline was done in Illustrator and then imported into Photoshop.  I would select each section and then copy the image that should go into that section then do "paste into".  This perfectly cropped each image the correct size.  I did the same thing with the flag in the center of the board. 

I printed it out on a large format printer so I wouldn't have to cut and tape it together. 

I don't know if I'm explaining this well at all.  If anyone wants to print their own let me know and I can post the image files on my site for download. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007 10:03:27 PM »

I would say that's bloody wonderful... but as an American that would (according to the link you gave) sound silly.  Undecided So instead I'll just say I really like this.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Narimasu

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007 10:27:17 PM »

What a great idea! We played American Pictionary with some British friends once, and what a hoot! We laughed ourselves silly over the translations between languages. Spent most of our time going through the cards and asking each other what the words meant. The languages are really different when you get down to little details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Claire
aliz
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007 03:37:30 AM »

i love the design of the board! it looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nekoneko
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007 12:02:26 PM »

Wow! You really put a lot of heart and effort into your project! This is such a great idea because I can make a trivia game with questions that the kids can answer .... maybe like a family trivia game??? See you got my mind thinking...CHEERS to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spotty_duck
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007 01:44:01 PM »

oh wow! It's soo retro! I'm british and I'm loving it! (you should make an american version for all us brits!!!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007 03:35:31 PM »

I love it and I want it and I may have to make one myself!

I'm American too but lived in Britain for six months, and I used to ask my co-worker what I called my "stupid American question of the day."  I still have trouble with a lot of the slang when talking to friends or watching BBC.

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Claire Legrand and The Year of Shadows
Keen On: Writing On The Wall
Team Milkha at Bangalore Literature Festival
Wil Haygood: What Are You Reading?
The Party Bible: Genesis
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...