A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Preparing raw fleece?  (Read 532 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 02, 2007 12:32:06 PM »

I did a spinning demo this weekend at an alpaca farm and the owner gave me 4lbs of raw fleece. I am getting a drum carder from my local spinning guild that was used, but I have no idea how to wash and prepare the fiber to be carded without damaging it. Any tips or resources??

thanks <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007 12:58:25 PM »

Oh, and it's from a Suri Alpaca if that makes a difference Smiley thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
cottondeer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007 03:18:40 PM »

How dirty is it? I usually spin alpaca without washing it; I just card it into rolags and spin. Any VM falls out during the carding, and then the dust gets washed out when I set the twist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cottondeer's Etsy
Free Domestic Shipping through March 31!
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007 07:55:19 PM »

I don't really know enough about raw fleece to compare it. It might be really clean or really dirty for all I know. Its pretty dusty- if you mess with it dust flies up in the air and there is a fair amount of VM... maybe I will try spinning it without washing it- will all of the dust wash out when I am setting the twist or will some get caught inside my yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

zeeblebee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007 01:31:30 AM »

When I spun with raw alpaca (suri too actually) it was easier to maintain the locks on the parts I hadn't washed; no matter how gentle I was with it, the washed fleece got a little tangled. Your hands will probaby get grubby, and I'd put a cloth under your hands as you worked, but I had success washing out the dirt after spinning.

I found alpaca could take more of a beating when washing than wool would- while I wouldn't tempt fate by being really rough, sloshing it around in a lukewarm sink a little didn't harm what I was working with.

What stopped me from working with what I had were the burr's- last time I buy fleece over the internet from a seller I haven't worked with before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007 11:46:32 AM »

Here's how I prep my Alpaca fleece:
1) Lay out fleece and pick out any large VM or foriegn objects (I've found out, alpaca like dogs scratch their back by rolling in grass/dirt so you never know what you'll find)
2) Run hot water in washing machine until 1/2 full
3) Submerge alpaca and let sit for 15 minutes
4) Spin to remove excess water
5) Repeat steps 2 - 4 but add a tiny bit of shampoo or detergent to water
6) Repeat steps 2 - 4 as necessary until water is clear enough to suit your needs
7) Spread alpaca in sunlight or other dry area and wait to dry
8 ) Pick through fleece, fluffing up any matted parts and picking out VM. Many alpacas are sheared twice to get a "close shave" and the second pass leaves bits of fiber that are too short to work with. Be honest with yourself and ask if you can spin short staple, if not toss it
9) Fluff up fiber and feed into drum carder or comb with hand cards
10) If using drum carder give the fiber a few passes to make nice uniform batts
11) Spin away.

Some people like to spin straight from the lock, but I'm a bit picky and I spin in my living room and cleaning all that dust would be a nightmare. I find this method leaves nice soft clean fiber to work with and is easist on my sanity.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007 12:04:26 PM by Star217 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
quatzical
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007 11:53:57 AM »

Since it doesn't have lanolin, I just spin alpaca and wash it afterwards. Suri alpaca I prep a little differently than huacaya. It often has a longer staple and is shinier and sleeker and since it's longer, I've had better luck combing suri into roving than carding on handcards into rolags. Often, though, I just take a few locks and open them up (hold the lock firmly from the tip and pull the butt end through a flick or hand card then reverse to hold the butt end and comb through the tip with a card) and position them on my lap so they're all oriented in the same way, then I spin worsted from the tip end. You could also spin from the fold this way. This makes nice strong shiny yarn, though you'll only want to do thin yarns like this; alpaca is too heavy and dense if done thick and worsted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Thai Basil
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...