A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First attempt at fitting a T  (Read 1670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 30, 2007 07:44:29 PM »

I was at barnes and noble the other day looking in the crafty section for the FIRST time!!! i thought...'why have i never come over here?!' but the tshirt recon books make me wanna do something. So i dug out all my too big shirts and this is the first one. Imma do more some day but this was just an experiment.

My boyfriend gave me this too small for him but too big for me shirt. it suits me nicely cuz i am a big procrastinator.

sewed in the sides. left the length. used the extra material from the sides to make 2 ribbons on the sides that tie in the back for extra fit.
excuse my love handles. the shirt would look better if i didnt poof out around the middle like that....arg

what do you guys think i should do with the sleeves? i dont really like em the original length but cant think of what to do.

thanks for looking!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007 08:32:10 PM »

I fit my t-shirts a lot, and here are my bits of advice. First of all, do you have a machine? If so, then you should do the "pinch and pin" method on the sides in order to take out the bulk. Basically, you put it on inside out, and pin where you want the shirt to go in at, and then sew along that. it helps get a good curve, without all the bunching that the ties will give you.

Also, for the sleeves. You have two options. If you're just wanting it to fit tighter, you can pin under your arm where you want the new arm hole to fit, and then sew up the sleeve, making the armhole and sleeve both tighter. Then if you want to shorten it, you can just hem the sleeves like you would the bottom of a shirt..

However, if you don't like where they sit on the shirt (the rule of thumb is that the seam where the sleeve is attached is supposed to sit on the very edge of your sholder) you can cut the sleeves off with your scissors, then putting the shirt on, put a pin at the point where your sleeve should go (the edge of your shoulder). Then lay the sleeve on the shirt, and using the curve of the sleeve cut a new armhole. This will make the sleeve sit properly. If you want to make the whole thing shorter from there, just pin it in with an inch or so extra hanging over when you pin the sleeve in, instead of matching up the edges perfectly. That will help make it shorter, without much extra effort.

Hope that helped! If any of that confused you, just PM me and I'll try to explain better!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 08:39:13 PM »

thanks for the tips. i sorta did that pinch and pin method except i used another tshirt that fits better but isnt tight and traced it then sewed along that line. i was afraid of sewing it too small so when i went to put it on it'd either be too tight or i'd rip the stiches *i hate that!* the ties were sorta just a 'hm i have these strips what should i do with them?'

ok here is a question...what stitch is the best for stretchy fabric? the sewing machine i use is like 25 years old and i dont know what some of the knobs mean. ive played aroudn with them and i get the idea. it has all the basic stitches but im not sure. does it matter which way the fabric stretches? is there a setting that i can use that matches the ones on the seams of most shirts *it sorta goes over the seam itself so theres nothing sticking out*?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Take Pictures of Food
How to Create a Makeshift Studio For Photography
How to Find a Photo Studio
Learn About Studio Photography
Chris Ryan Talks About His Photo Studio
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...