A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It foretells the FUTURE --> The OUIJA BOARD LAMP  (Read 25308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nekoneko
« on: October 02, 2007 01:32:23 AM »

Just in time for HALLOWEEN...an OUIJA Board Lamp!  I scraped and scraped the OUIJA game to separate it from the board.

The game and the lamp are thrift store finds.  The OUIJA 'board' was attached to the lamp using a 50/50 glue/water mixture.

This method would be great for making lamps for kids room with the Candy Land game or POKEMON monopoly game or whatever thrift store treasures you find.  

I wasn't sure if the light would shine through so was happy to see it has an eerie golden glow.  

thanks for looking....

Update: How to Scrape Pics

I really am beginning to feel that the OUIJA board lamp was meant to be. First, the thrift store had a low supply of board games. When I found the OUIJA board game, I knew it would be perfect because it was not folded like how most game boards are. Second, I had found a lamp and was walking to the cashiers when I decided that it wasn't going to work, and when I went to put it back, I found the perfect lampshade...that wouldn't require any cutting of the game board!  Also, it was weird because the orange glow from the lamp is in some pictures and not all...was it the spirit of the OUIJA Board calling out to me? ...(shivers)

Here are some pics on the 'scraping' I did today using another game board:

1) This is UN-DU. This product is a great adhesive remover. If you do a lot of paper crafting then this is a must-have in your supply box!  I started to use this remover but found that it wasn't necessary. But I used the scrapper at the end of the bottle as my tool to separate the game from the board. (Scrapper=Black plastic)

2) I looked for a corner where I could started 'lifting' the paper.  For this board I had to do a little snipping, unlike the OUIJA board. So this is a lesson, not all boards are created equal.

3) I applied some UN-DU to get started and used the UN-DU bottle scrapper to start separating the game from the board.  I continue to do this for the entire board.

4) This is how the game will look as you remove the paper. It is not smooth. For the OUIJA Board, I liked the texture so I didn't try to smooth it out. When you look at the lamp, you can see dark spots here and there...that's the cardboard. Again, because it's an OUIJA lamp, it added character so I didn't have to worry about trying to remove all the bits and pieces of cardboard.  

I hope this helps. Basically, one would have to treat the project as an experiment! ... a crafter's challenge indeed.

P.S. The bird is one of those fake birds you can buy from a craft store. I covered the bird with white glitter.  The feather is from a boa.  I added a piece of cardstock at the top of the lamp to support the bird (who is stucked in syrofoam) and the feathers. I probably can re-do it somehow but laters...Have other projects to move on to!!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012 07:59:26 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to show photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigerita
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007 01:38:46 AM »

that's amazing!  i want to see more pictures of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007 04:09:07 AM »

Wow. 

I am having trouble figuring out how you "scraped" the paper off the board.  Didn't it tear?

It looks amazing - love the way the light shines through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
bekkels
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007 04:38:03 AM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007 05:03:13 AM »

I LOVE IT!  That's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
crystalthepirate
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007 05:28:38 AM »

amazing. great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007 05:31:34 AM »

OMG!! I LOVE it!!

How did you scrape it off??? Please do tell?  I want to try it. I have the glow in the dark board. Can you just imagine it???

I love my board. It sits on a shelf as decoration, so I would have to buy another one to try it with. lol

This is going into my favorite projects.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007 05:32:49 AM by KimsCozyKitchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007 05:32:32 AM »

That is awesome!  I love the eerie diffused glow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
bohemia
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007 05:51:07 AM »

That's amazing!  I would have been scared of it just a little as a kid though, but then I read too much RL Stine.  Very cool indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swellgirl78

Swell Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007 06:03:33 AM »

what a great idea. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Perfectly Wrap an Awkward Shaped Gift
How to Create a Fabric Bow to Decorate a Gift
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
How to Stitch Seams Together
How to Replace Yarn
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...