A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Hat formula  (Read 322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

multicrafty
« on: October 23, 2007 01:27:51 PM »

So I found this hat formula today and decided to make up my own patterns for my family for knitted hats this winter.  Anyways, it's just a basic hat formula and I have everything figured except I can't figure out what "E" is.  By that I mean that I am not understanding what "E" is suppose to represent. (Maybe it's because I'm bad at math, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what they want me to do).

Here is what I have so far.

Based on there formula
Knitted swatch = 18sts "A"
Head measurement (minus 2" for a snugger fit) 18" "B"
"A" times "B" = 324 but I rounded down to 320 for "C"
Dividing "C" by 4 gives me 80 which is the number I need to cast on for "D"

Now, the part that I'm confused about is "E" because the difference between "C" and "D" is 240.  What in the world would they mean by this part here

(directly taken from website to show what I'm talking about)
increase or decrease "E" so that you have "C" stitches on the needle

Any help with this part will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 01:47:16 PM »

Difference means subtract so it's C - D.  D isn't 80, it's the number that you round C to to make it divisible by 4 so your 2x2 ribbing will come out evenly.  You can just use 320 sinct that's divisible by 10 and 4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007 01:49:54 PM »

So I found this hat formula today and decided to make up my own patterns for my family for knitted hats this winter.  Anyways, it's just a basic hat formula and I have everything figured except I can't figure out what "E" is.  By that I mean that I am not understanding what "E" is suppose to represent. (Maybe it's because I'm bad at math, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what they want me to do).

Here is what I have so far.

Based on there formula
Knitted swatch = 18sts "A"
Head measurement (minus 2" for a snugger fit) 18" "B"
"A" times "B" = 324 but I rounded down to 320 for "C"
Dividing "C" by 4 gives me 80 which is the number I need to cast on for "D"

Now, the part that I'm confused about is "E" because the difference between "C" and "D" is 240.  What in the world would they mean by this part here

(directly taken from website to show what I'm talking about)
increase or decrease "E" so that you have "C" stitches on the needle

Any help with this part will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!

I was confused too at first, but change the words 'divisible by 4"  to "multiple of 4" and it makes sense (to me anyway  Cheesy)

So, using your numbers ...

C = 324, rounded to 320 to be divisible by 10
D = C plus or minus a few stitches to be a multiple of 4, but 320 already is a multiple of 4 (4x80 = 320) so don't do anything and D = 320

E = C (324) - D (324) = zero

Cast on C (324), do ribbing, then increase E (zero - so no increase) to get to D.

If C was 323, then D would be 320 (since 323 isn't divisible by 4) and E would be 3. Cast on 320, do ribbing, then increase 3 st.

Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 07:50:11 PM »

Waitamminnit everyone! 320 sts is far too many to co for a hat!

multicrafter, look at the formula again - A = sts per inch not sts in your whole swatch. So presuming you did 18 sts/4" thats 4.5 per inch. Time 18" is 81. That's C. Rounding it down to a multiple of 4 is 80 sts, that's D and what you CO. After you knit the ribbing you're supposed to inc back to the C number, but I don't think 1 st (what E is, the difference between c and d) is going to matter a whole lot. You can add the st if you want, but it's less than a quarter inch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
multicrafty
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007 08:30:22 PM »

Waitamminnit everyone! 320 sts is far too many to co for a hat!

multicrafter, look at the formula again - A = sts per inch not sts in your whole swatch. So presuming you did 18 sts/4" thats 4.5 per inch. Time 18" is 81. That's C. Rounding it down to a multiple of 4 is 80 sts, that's D and what you CO. After you knit the ribbing you're supposed to inc back to the C number, but I don't think 1 st (what E is, the difference between c and d) is going to matter a whole lot. You can add the st if you want, but it's less than a quarter inch.

Thank you soozeq!  I didn't even realize that I measured my swatch wrong to begin with.  Also, I understand what they are saying alot more now that you explained it better to me. (See, I told you I am terrible at math)  Thank you VERY MUCH for you help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Orange Snaps Recipe
Banana Corn Fritter Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Donuts Recipe
How to Make Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
How to Make Chocolate Covered Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...