A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my sweater of many buttons  (Read 5940 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007 08:22:39 AM »

I too would need a smaller size. Please share. Pretty please.  Roll Eyes
And the gauge you got.

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007 01:22:50 PM »

The great thing about this sweater is that you can make it any size.  If you need it smaller stop increasing earlier and join for the body.  When you think you're getting close you can put the stitches on scrap yarn and try it on.  You can also add some shaping by decreasing on each side once you get a few inches into the body!

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007 05:08:29 PM »

That looks fantastic! I think I have to put that pattern on my to-do list!

Check out my BLOG

I'm sayllama on Ravelry
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007 09:32:41 PM »

I love that sweater. The color looks nice on you.
rad kit
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007 10:38:27 PM »

oh my god. i tried to make that VERY SAME sweater but in crochet because i dont knit...but i failed miserably. you did such a good job!

YO! Need a bag full of novelty eyelash yarn in various and wonderful colors? Swap with me! PM for details and such.
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007 11:18:31 PM »

I wish I were a bit better at 'flying by the seat of my pants' with patterns but I'm not:( It's a gorgeous sweater!! I'd love to knit it but sadly, the pattern had my head spinning!:)

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007 11:15:59 AM »

Assymmetry is sexy. I'd love to make this but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to sew all those buttons on!

For more of my knitting, cooking, and crafting exploits, check out:

I'm also on Ravelry:

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007 12:58:07 PM »

Your sweater is great. I can't wait to start that pattern
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007 01:10:31 PM »

hey everyone!

thanks for all of your compliments, i really appreciate it. sorry i haven't gotten back to you sooner, i've been pretty busy with school and things.

ok, so the yarn i used. it's encore chunky from plymouth yarn in bulky knitting weight. it's 75% acrylic and 25% wool. the color i used doesn't have a name, but it's #0793. (i was confused about this because the label says that it's chunky yarn in bulky weight? the yarn LOOKED chunky, though...)

gauge. my gauge should be different from the one on the pattern because i used size 8 needles instead of the recommended 10s. i needed the pattern to be smaller and i wanted it to be warmer anyway, so i decided to just decrease needle size and it worked out. hurray! my gauge turned out to be: 4 sts per inch and 5.5 rows per inch.

so by decreasing needle size but keeping the yarn chunky weight, i both made the pattern small enough to fit my body and made the sweater more snuggly and warm.

modifications: i cast on the recommended number of stitches and did 8 rows of 2x2 ribbing at the neckline. for the sleeves, i only did repeats of the decreases until 5 inches before my wrists. then i started the 2x2 ribbing again.

as for making the sweater look more fitted, i did waist shaping following the directions posted here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=152316.0;topicseen where it says "optional side shaping instructions."

i hope that answers all of your questions!

i encourage everyone to knit this pattern, it's pretty fun and easy and i love the result! i've been getting a bunch of compliments from friends.

additionally, there is a knitalong specifically devoted to this pattern here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=119061.0
if you need more help, browse through the thread and see if your questions can be answered there. it was really helpful for me.

good luck everyone, and thanks again for the comments!

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
ominous and foreshadowing

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007 03:52:09 PM »

I think I could easily adapt it to fit me now, thanks! (I was more worried about making it in a smaller size than in doing any shaping, since I'm built pretty much like a ruler and don't need a lot of shaping. *LOL*)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fool About Whilst Being Pursued
How to Choose a TV Fan Site
How to Advertise Your Band on Myspace
How to Get a Show Back on the Air
How to Make a Lego Pokemon
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...