A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Detergent Containers...Big Ones!  (Read 1143 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MAmadurk
« on: October 01, 2007 01:10:39 AM »

I usually by my detergent in the really big 300 fl. oz. size, and today looked at the nearly empty one and wondered if I could repurpose the empty.  After a brief moment of study, I decided the handle/fill it up hole/spigot portion could be cut off (the top, if you will) leaving me with a slightly funky shaped bucket. Sorta like this:

Okay so I can't draw it here...think of a rectangle with one short end bumped out a bit.

So far, I thought I could use it for a small wastebasket...don't really need any more, or a bucket or to store stuff.  Any other ideas?  I'm not too worried about decorating it...I'm interesed in ways to re-purpose the thing.
FYI, mine happen to be red as I buy Era, but I 'm sure other brands come in the same kind of containers---Tide in orange, Gain in green and I think All or something in white.  So, there could be a color thing involved.........

MAmadurk, still thinking how to answer my own post....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007 09:31:48 AM »

It would make a nice large scoop for ice salt. Don't know where you live, but that's what I did with one of mine.  Since I had a nice load of salt for the driveway, I didn't have to tread up and down that treacherous, icy driveway a lot to refill my scoop!

You can punch holes in the cap and use it as a watering can. cut off the top, leave the handle and use it to store little things on shelves in your cabinet. Leave the handle facing towards you and your shelves will look neater!

Just some ideas.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 10:39:25 AM »

planters? I've seen plastic strips from heavy duty containers used as boning for corsets on this site. I'm sure that could translate to other crafts as well.... Have you tried melting them? with all the melted bead posts on here I always think about melting things now. lol You could try that and maybe making bowls and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007 02:58:21 PM »

I buy 30 pound buckets of powder and use come for storage, and some for trash cans, and some for recycling.

A few have even been used as buckets! For water!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
MAmadurk
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 05:15:27 PM »

Great ideas! I knew I was missing something!
Have not tried melting them.  Something about the idea of the smell prevents me from attempting it: that and all the kids around here.  My luck the neighbors would smell it and call 911!

Using for ice melt is an awesome idea---my old margarine tub gave up last year so I need a new scoop anyway!

Thanks everyone!
MAmadurk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
VaxGirl
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007 06:05:49 PM »

I tried to make a watering can a couple years ago, but didn't have much luck.  I punched holes in the cap, but then you need a hole somewhere else to let air in or it doesn't pour and I couldn't get it right, it was a mess, lol.  Plus I could never get the detergent smell out of it and I was afraid to use it on my herb plants. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_rissa
I'm 26 and yes, I'm still a Girl Scout

an abomination of awesomeness

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007 09:47:02 AM »

I actually have been using the same one as a watering can for almost 3 years now.  You drill holes in the cap with your smallest bit and then with the bit 3 sizes bigger drill one hole on the top of the handle.  If the water comes out in a trickle simply make the hole on the handle bigger until you get the right amount of water flow. 

Also, there is a Readymade project that transforms the bottles into a coat rack type thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I told you how it tasted, you would never, ever again eat calamari."
jodilee
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007 08:49:33 AM »

Have you got any pics of the bottles cos I may have an idea you could use.

I gave this idea to another crafster a while ago here is the link:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=169116.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010 08:34:08 AM by jodilee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jodilee
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007 08:56:50 AM »

OH YEAH I FORGOT TO SAY............
I once saw some pics of a strip light tube/bulb not sure what you call that in the states but the sort of bulb thats long and thin and is usually used in kitchen lights ( a bit like a light sabre)

ANYHOW the detergent bottles had a round hole cut into the bottoms  so a stripbulb could be threaded through and out of the bottles top/mouth. Lots of bottles were used over the whole length of the bulb so that the result was a multicoloured collection of bottles which lit up..............it was more fab Shocked Shocked than my description sounds!!!!!!HONEST Wink If you have any questions or need me to be more specific I'll do my best to explain better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maryanns66
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007 02:09:06 PM »

Since we live in the Hurricane state, we fill'em up with water for washing hands and other necessary areas. They're great due to the spigot, and hold plenty of water for a quick clean up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn the Trick to Getting Clump-Free Mascara
How To Wear It: Breezy Jumpsuits
Dress Your Little Man Like Kingston Rossdale for Less
Isabel Toledo Puts Her Fashion Focus on the Plus-Size World
Trend Report - Slits
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...