A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sealant Over Modge Podge?  (Read 977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alli_Lucy
« on: September 30, 2007 05:08:33 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked before; I did a search, but came up with nothing helpful.  It seems like the type of question that would have been asked before, however, so maybe I'm just searching-impaired.

Anyway, I'm working on a decoupaged jewelry/trinket box that will be given as a gift (i.e. I want the final product to be fairly high-quality and to last for a decent amount of time).  I've done the decoupaging with Modge Podge, but I'm worried about the lid of the box sticking to the body of the box and tearing off bits of paper as it is in use.  Is there a good sealant I could put over the Modge Podge to eliminate tackiness?   

Also, how many coats of Modge Podge do you usually use on a Decoupage project?

Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007 05:17:52 AM »

i actually asked a similar question awhile back when i covered an unfinished wood box with fabric. someone suggested Laminate It!, but they don't carry it at joann's, so i used aileen's. it's not tacky at all, came out super smooth. i used mod podge to affix the fabric and i coated it with the aileen's. now, i will say that the aileen's looks exactly like mod podge, so there may be no difference, but my box definitely isn't tacky. hope this helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007 09:06:02 AM »

Thanks, Elizabeth!  I'll try it out.  My box is getting a little tacky in the current humidity.  It's not too noticeable, but the lid does stick to the box slightly, and I would prefer that it not stick at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007 07:05:04 AM »

I recently use a spray poly from the hardware store.  It worked great.  I did an altered book and the pages were really sticking together until I sprayed them.  Voila, no sticky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 06:21:36 AM »

to be totally sealed & thick I use about 4 coats..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
LisaJay
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 11:30:07 PM »

I use three or four coats of mod podge, and then finish with a matte clear acrylic sealer that I got from WalMart.  The brand is PLAID, which is the same brand that makes Mod Podge, and I got it because the Mod Podge jar says "To eliminate tackiness, apply clear acrylic sealer."

It's a spray, and the smell is pretty toxic so be sure to use it with windows open.  I really like the finish a lot.  It makes it look more "finished," and definitely conquers the tackiness problem.

Lids sticking is a nightmare all its own.  On my next box-y project, I think I'll be very careful with the area where the lid attaches.  I'll keep it clear of Mod Podge so it doesn't get too built up, if you know what I mean, and cover both the top of the box and the inside rim of the top with just the sealer.  I'm hoping that will work, because this is, well, a sticky problem!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

envirocraft
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 04:38:14 PM »

I'm impressed at my search skills, I had this same question and knew that someone must have already answered it (and I managed to find it!)! 

I'm making my bf a 52 reasons you're awesome book for that stupid consumer driven holiday coming up Tongue  and decided it was a "bright" idea to modge podge all the pages.  Now all my cards are sticking together.  I bought one kind of sealer, and it doesn't seem to solve the problem, guess I'll just have to try one of the suggestions above.

If anyone has any ideas how to solve this problem, I'd still like to hear it. I considered putting paper or something between the pages, but the book is already super fat to begin with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Manual Mode
Canon A610/A620: Set Landscape Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Kids/Pets Function
Canon A610/A620: Set ISO Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Indoor Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...