A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap round 7 Discussion  (Read 34817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xladyluckx
Hiatus over...back to crafting.

woo woo!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2007 01:13:45 PM »

So so so happy for you Alteredmommy! Eat a brownie and jump up and down, we can do it in sync! Smiley

I made it back from my 24 hour trip to Atlanta...playing catch up again. But what's new?

It is windy here today, everything is falling over outside. It is warm though, which is weird. Like a slight warm breeze as if armageddon is coming.....Ptarmic, why is it super windy with a slight warm breeze? they said rain was coming, but it has been dry all day! We are staying in until armageddon comes....LOL. My sense of humor is not on track today.

love you all, will update shortly after a few errands. woo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2007 02:35:24 PM »

It is windy here today, everything is falling over outside. It is warm though, which is weird. Like a slight warm breeze as if armageddon is coming.....Ptarmic, why is it super windy with a slight warm breeze? they said rain was coming, but it has been dry all day! We are staying in until armageddon comes....LOL. My sense of humor is not on track today.

You have an approaching front. Fronts are usually windy parallel to the front, you get the wind in one direction that gets stronger until the front gets there, then the wind flips around the other direction really sudden as it passes over you, and slowly dies down. This front is moving slowly, so you will have to put up with the winds for a while.  Precipitation tends to hang out close to the front, sometimes in a really narrow band, sometimes in a big junky blob. This front looks like it has sucked up a bunch of juicy air from the gulf of mexico.  It is still out in NY state right now.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/wwhlpr/cold_front_precip.rxml

more detail than anyone really wants, but I am waiting for my computer to finish something:
Here is a pretty rainbow plot of the tropopause from early this morning, it is like a topographic map of terrain:
http://www-paoc.mit.edu/synoptic/blank.asp?image=trop-us-current.gif
The blue parts are like valleys, and are areas where the tropopause is very cold and low. See where the color lines are all on top of each other over the great lakes? (the brown outlines are a map) That is like a really steep cliff in the tropopause, it is the front. The tropopause is the top of the troposphere, which is the section of the atmosphere where weather happens. It is wavy and wiggly, and is where the jet stream hangs out - the strongest winds are in places where the colored lines are packed together.  Big valleys in the tropopause tend to spin cyclonically, like a hurricane (counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere). Even through the tropopause is up ~7 km from the surface in the midlatitudes, the big spin in the tropopause pulls on surface air - it pulls warm air from the south ahead of the valley, and cold air from the north behind the valley. That is why it is warm ahead of the front, and cold behind it.

The high-resolution regional model says  the front will come by around 6 UTC tonight, aka midnight:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/hiresw/12/images/hiresw_slp_018l.gif

Sorry you asked?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xladyluckx

woo woo!

« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2007 02:54:02 PM »

It did exactly what you said!! The wind has died down now! I love it! Thank you for the explaination, and now that armageddon isn't coming, I guess I'll go sit outside before the rain comes. Smiley Thank you!!
Craftster again rules, not only do we get weather explainations, we get crafty goodness. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #723 on: October 23, 2007 03:21:31 PM »

Hmmm, did the wind go down when it got dark? It was probably something else then - during the day, the sun shines on the ground and makes it hot, then the hot ground heats up the air at the surface, which rises up, and cold air comes down from aloft to replace the warm air. The cold air coming down brings down any wind from above, so if it is really windy at altitude, it gets windy at the surface too.  At night the ground cools off and the cold windy air stays up high.

Since we are supposed to be on-topic, I will note that I have thought for a while that the pretty rainbow contours plots would be nice to use as some kind of crafty inspiration, but I haven't come up with anything really good yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2007 03:27:20 PM »

Since we are supposed to be on-topic, I will note that I have thought for a while that the pretty rainbow contours plots would be nice to use as some kind of crafty inspiration, but I haven't come up with anything really good yet.

heh,heh I was just thinking the same thing.....they are pretty!

thanx everyone for the well wishes, its like a big craftster hug Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
LaughingLark
« Reply #725 on: October 23, 2007 03:41:14 PM »

Maybe use some of the rainbow graphics from a low pressure system that is bringing snow to make some geeky Christmas cards?  Grin

It got waaay colder here when the rain started. Not quite cold enough for a frost, but that bone-chilling damp cold. Brrr...! I baked too much winter squash yesterday, so I took some of the leftover squash and made pie with it. Similar to pumpkin pie, and the kids inhaled it!

I have a project to finish up here tonight, but I am in the mood to make a lariat or two when I'm done. Any interest in beaded lariats? Here are a couple of examples of ones I've made in the past:

Would two points be okay for something like this? They take ages to string. I think they are around 5 feet long. Fun to make, though.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xladyluckx

woo woo!

« Reply #726 on: October 23, 2007 05:52:33 PM »

The wind died down before it got dark...it is 70 out there now which is crazy for the end of October! No wind, so that is good for now. It was crazy today, everything was falling down and blowing around outside. the dogs stuck by me like glue all day. When they do that, i know they are freaked out by the weather. But now it is nice and actually beautiful!

Laughinglark, any more beaded spiders in your future? The wreath was super fun to make, and I love how it came out. I have enough garland to make one more! Smiley Check it out....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #727 on: October 23, 2007 06:35:15 PM »

The wreath is awesome! I'm still mired down in my business-related project for the night, but I think I can make more spideys tomorrow. Any colors you prefer?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #728 on: October 23, 2007 08:22:46 PM »

alteredmommy - congratulations!
redheadskydiver - I know I've had more than my fair share of moments and it usually helps me if I can vent -
selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: October 24, 2007 03:29:24 AM »

I've added a few new things to my shop too, a pack of Christmas cards and some Christmassy tags/notecards in the usual dot style! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aquarella Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
5 Types of Makeup Primers
The Right Way to Conceal Your Skin During the Hot Summer Months
Party Eyes Tutorial
Get Longer Eyelashes Without False Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...