A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,486
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help - trying to sort yarns for a star afghan  (Read 506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little.mrs.sunshine
« on: September 30, 2007 11:42:29 AM »

I started this blanket this morning and its coming along well.  But My
husband hates the rainbow colours and so its hard to get his advice.  I decided to temper the rainbow "busyness" by adding the black, but the black is a thicker yarn than the rainbow and I can't decide whether it sits right. I think its ok.  I am trying to decide whether to do another row or two of rainbow before I do more black,or whether to alternate black and rainbow from now on.  What do you think?  And should I use a lighter weight yarn for the black?  Here are the pics of the wip, the colours appear much darker than they are in "real life":

THIS ROCKS   Logged
teddybr_crazy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007 04:18:22 PM »

Hum... this is a difficult decision since with multicolor you could pretty much add any color you like! I don't think the star looks to busy with the colors and honestly myself I would probably play it up by adding a different solid color every other row! If you add black again it still would look very nice, sorry I just can't decide! Your star looks very nice though! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lions, tigers and bears oh my!
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007 06:07:08 PM »

If I were you, I'd ignore your husband since it's not for him anyway. Just my 2 cents but I really like bright colors with black accents. I've done so many 'stained glass' granny square afghans where they were bordered in black, just because I like the way it looks.

I know it's probably no help but I think it looks great the way you're doing it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007 11:03:08 PM »

I like the black added to the multi color IME most men don't like the rainbow yarns no idea why but every time I pull it out my husband goes ewwwww doesn't matter the color way.
I would actually make a small swatch with part black, part rainbow and wash it. If the yarns feel or look about the same weight but crochet up were one seems thicker, sometimes it's just the sizing used in the production and once washed they do well. If it's not that then I would keep going how you are with larger areas of rainbow and then add a few in black, with the thickness you have already done. The added texture will be nice. There's no hard and fast rule saying it all has to be the same weight yarn, I mix weights all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007 06:53:19 PM »

I'm all for the way it looks now.  The different weights of the yarns will give the blanket a nice texture when it's finished.  I'm working on a ripple baby blanket right now, in variegated "baby boy" colors (blue, green, white) and plain white.  The variegated yarn is much thinner than the white, but it gives an interesting feel.  It should hold its shape in the wash, since both yarns are acrylic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little.mrs.sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007 03:18:04 AM »

Thanks for all your replies.  They've made me feel much more confident about this blanket.  Its nearly finished now, but I ran out of black yarn so I'll have to get some more.  That's good news that its likely to keep its shape!  Will post pics when its finished.  Thanks again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Press Flowers and Leaves
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Bag
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...