A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My failed attempt at a hobo bag  (Read 3852 times)
Tags for this thread: bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007 08:08:21 PM »

Yeah, about the seams, you do need seam allowance. Using the foot as a guide is a good idea, just remember when you are making your own pattern that you need to add the extra fabric for the seam allowance and commercial patterns already have seam allowance (usually 5/8" unless otherwise noted--in America) Even if you are just learning and teaching yourself, seam allowance is a good thing to understand so that you can make your own patterns that look good and professional and not "homemade". Cutting patterns accurately and pinning are also important. If you are using non-fusible interfacing and you have to flat line the interfacing to the fabric (make the interfacing and fabric become one) you should lay the interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric and machine baste the two together INSIDE the seam allowance (this is where more than 1/4" seam allowance is good, because sewing at 1/8" isn't fun!) Then you sew your pieces bag pieces together, lessening the chance of the seam pulling out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007 06:47:05 AM »

If the seam is really bothering you, either try a product called Dritz Fray Check or other similar products.
http://joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2864&start=17

Or if it is coming out, try covering the edging with either double fold tape or ribbon.

It is such a cute purse.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Charlotte5

I breathe to sew and sew to live

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007 02:22:47 PM »

I have only made one bag from a pattern that was for a friend and since then I have made up my own patterns (currently using a bag I made a few weeks ago: please see photo below)

I ALWAYS use 1/2 inch seam allowance as I would rather be safe than sorry.  As for lining this up on the machine: my sewing machine has 'groves' on the plate and I measure from the needle out to the required seam allowance and mark it with a pencil line.  Works for me everytime.

Don't be discourage with your errors - you will learn from them and your work will get and be better.  If in any doubt do a toile/dummy run first so that you don't spoil the fabric you actually want to use.  You may think this is a waste of time because you are making the same item twice but if you make errors on the toile you can make notes so you don't do it on the actual fabric.  Use different colour fabrics and threads so you can see your work clearly and any errors you make.  I write on post it/sticky notes and staple them to the required area so that they can't come off.  Use this bag as a template of the finished design - you will learn a lot by doing this and your confidence in sewing will grow without you realising it.

With blessings.

Charlotte
Glasgow, Scotland, UK (Monday 1 October 2007; 22:18BST)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I make a mess something good always comes from it.
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007 02:40:16 PM »

Or if it is coming out, try covering the edging with either double fold tape or ribbon.

Thats what I was thinking when I read this post. It's such a cute little bag it shouldnt go to waste. Buy yourself some nice satin ribbon in a matching colour (perhaps the darker one) then carefully handsew it over the fraying seams.

If it helps at all I've been sewing for years and making bags for about 2 years now and I still miss seams sometimes! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007 06:36:10 PM »

If it helps at all I've been sewing for years and making bags for about 2 years now and I still miss seams sometimes! Roll Eyes

I am not the OP, but your statement helps me feel better. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007 03:30:23 PM »

this bag is cute*  do not worry urself with the minor imperfections because over time u will get better*  keep it the good work*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
Lynds
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007 08:28:38 AM »

It is a really cute purse, you can't even see the edge problem in the first picture, I bet it could easily be "saved" :3

The fabric is great - $1/yd? That's such a good bargain. I never find anything that cute when I'm at Joann's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Basic Flowers
How to Draw Basic Feet
How to Draw Basic Eyes
How to Draw Animals
How to Draw a Star
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...