A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,673
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to get stitch marker rings &, a good tutorial on picking up stitches?  (Read 556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queen_gueneviere
« on: September 30, 2007 05:31:43 AM »

Hello to all of you wonderful people, here at craftster.  I hope that you're all having a great day. Cheesy
I have a few questions and, I'm really hoping that you could help me out.

First of all, I bought some beads to make some stitch markers. Because the cheap Red Heart ones break on me and, the only ones available to me are in a small box with assorted sizes.
In order to get all of the sizes and number of stitch markers that I need, I'd have to buy a few boxes.
But, why bother if they're just going to keep breaking on me?

# 1 -Sorry I don't know the name of what I actually need to make my own stitch markers but, they're closed rings with smaller closed rings attached to it.
To the smaller attached closed ring, I attach my pins and beads.
BUT I need those closed rings with smaller closed attached rings, in different sizes. Mainly the most popular sizes.
As small as possible in case I want to knit up some socks, would be great.
 And in larger sizes, as well.
Definately, in the more popular sizes. Like 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm.
Hopefully in 1/2 sizes as well.
Would anybody happen to know of a good web site that would sell these closed rings, with the smaller closed rings attached to it?
So that I can make my own stitch markers.    Roll Eyes
And hopefully they'll also sell the pins too. Because the ones that I bought, I'm not sure if they're strong enough.
Hopefully a site that would also carry a good assortment of other knitting supplies, as well.  Possibly a good assortment of yarns and, maybe buttons too?

# 2 - Also, I'm in need of a good tutorial on how to pick up stitches.
Would anybody happen to know where I could find a good tutorial, about this?
One that shows step-by-step instructions and, has clear coloured photos?
One that is good for printing out. Very easy to understand.

# 3 - And one more thing that I was wondering about.
When it says in a pattern to pick up and knit stitches.
Do you just pick up a stitch or, do you in fact pick up the stitch and somehow knit it?
I would love a good explanation of this.   Undecided

Thank you very much everyone and I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, and help me out.   Grin
Have a wonderful day and, happy knitting all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007 07:24:16 AM »

You can probably get info on all these from Google. Also jewelry websites might be better for than this than knitting websites. Check out the types of rings sold in local shops and what they are called in your part of the world.

HTH
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007 07:34:43 AM »

Can't help with the stitch markers, but I do know about picking up sts. There's a video at knittinghelp.com Here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php - and scroll down. You can pick up stitches two ways - using the left needle and start at the left side of the piece, pick up the sts, then knit back over them in the usual way. Or more commonly, pick them up knitwise with your right needle, no need to knit them until the next row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007 07:42:07 PM »

Are you looking for jump rings?  You might want to check the Trinkets & Jeelry board or the craft supplies section (forget what it's called) here on craftster.

Me, I'm a bit lazy in my st marker planning: using jewelry wire from a spool so I can customize the sizes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007 07:51:35 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queen_gueneviere
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 09:27:03 PM »

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone.
Thanks also, for clearing that up for me soozeq.
knittinfiasco, I do have some jewellry wire that I bought just in case.
But how can I customize the sizes, using jewellry wire?
I'd be very interested to know how you do it.
That is, if you don't mind explaining it to me.
Or possibly you've got a blog, with it shown on there?
I'll also check out the trinkets and jewellry board, and google for a good tutorial that I can print off for picking up stitches.
As for checking out rings in local shops, done that. No luck.  Undecided
Thanks again everyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007 10:39:07 PM »

Sometimes it helps to check out esty shops and see how they've made them Smiley

Here's one example on craftster: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=158749.0

I think to customize, you'll need to use your needles as a guide--not tight around them, but with some space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007 02:58:39 AM »

If you want a large stitch marker, use a large jump ring, and if you want a small stitch marker, use a small jump ring.

I don't know about half-mm sizes, most stitch markers are a bit bigger than the needles, they don't need to match.

I make mine with those straight pins you get, like straight silver wire with a tiny blob on the end like the head of a nail to stop beads falling off. Add beads as you prefer, cut off the excess leaving c. 3-4 mm, curl those 3mm into a little loop around the jump ring. If you're attaching quite a few beads, you might not want a couple of cms' worth of straight wire so make it in two or more parts so it can bend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Know When to Toss Your Old Makeup
Can You Plump Your Lips With Hawaiian Punch?
Does Whitening Your Teeth With Strawberries Really Work?
Beauty Secrets from Hong Kong
How To Make A Face Powder
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...