A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Symphony or Elizabeth 2?  (Read 529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rescuewife
« on: September 29, 2007 06:33:09 PM »

My DH has offered to buy me a wheel for Christmas... problem is I've never spun and my LYS has no one who knows how to, much less offers any wheels to rent.

I've spent hours online and narrowed it down to the Kromski Symphony or Ashford Elizabeth 2 (based on aesthetics and ability to spin a range of yarns).

Does anyone have experinece with both wheels? I would appreciate all kinds of opinions and feedback!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tehandehness
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007 07:03:58 PM »

I have got a symphony, and I LOVE her.  Not only is she gorgeous, she has quite a range of ratios, spins smoothly, and has options for scotch tension or double drive (my prefered method of spinning).

Here is a few pictures of her, with the help of Trigger.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop!  http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=51693

Christmas Blanket 1 3/16
Christmas Blanket 2 4/16
50+ Washcloth Along 2/50
quatzical
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 09:00:51 AM »

Here's a second 'hurray' for the Symphony. Mine was my first purchase with my first paycheck from the job I went to school for 8 years to get. I bought it without trying it partially based on looks and price. I love it! Unfortunately I haven't tried the Elizabeth so I can't compare them. The Symphony does have a breaking in period where it needs oil oil and more oil (otherwise it sounds like a squeaking bed), but I can do a wide range of yarns. The only thing it's not great at is super thick novelty yarns...the oriface isn't huge and the hooks aren't either. I've tried a lot of wheels since I bought mine and the only one I liked more is the Lendrum Saxony...that wheel is amazing (and expensive).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007 09:32:11 PM »

I love my Kromski, although I have a Prelude instead of a Symphony. The symphony is fairly large, so if you're short on space, it could be an issue [that's a part of why I bought the prelude, we live in a 1 bedroom apt right now.] Something else you might think about [if you haven't already] is whether or not you'll want to travel with it. Traditional wheels are pretty bulky in general and not the best for taking on an afternoon jaunt to spin with your friends.

I strongly recommend trying to find a class, or someone to help you learn before you buy the wheel. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to learn on your own, but they're an expensive tool to try out a new craft on. I'm not sure where you're at but Interweave has a good listing of guilds in your state [according to your profile anyway]: http://www.interweave.com/spin/resources/spinning_guilds/default.asp?country=USA&state=FL
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007 09:34:40 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Spiraling
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007 05:58:12 PM »

I have nothing good to say about Ashford, either their wheels, their service or their store (in Ashburton, outside of Christchurch).

I have a traditional and it's under constant threat of becoming firewood.

That said, I would really try to find somewhere to test run both of the wheels. If you have a spinners & weavers guild nearby, even if they don't own these particular wheels, you may find that a member or two does and will let you have a trail run or could at least give you a review and answer your questions.

I have four wheels and I would say that I use my upright (Wee Peggy, the John Rappard version before Ashford bought them out) the most because it's easy to drag out into the sunshine and it fits easily into the car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rescuewife
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007 09:37:59 AM »

Thanks, ladies for your help! Unfortunately the nearest spinning guild is hours away. Thank goodness for the internet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 24/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 28/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 29/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 3/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 22/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...