A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinto Bean Recipes? (White Beans Too?)  (Read 1173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaghetti
« on: September 29, 2007 01:52:55 PM »

Hi All,

I volunteer with an organization that cooks and delivers food for low-income people.  We recently got over 200 lb. of dried pinto beans and white beans, and they're taking up tons of space in our pantry.  Does anyone have any good recipes?  The main limitation is that our delivery containers leak like crazy, so we can't serve any soups, stews (unless they're very thick), or "saucy" foods. 

Any help would be appreciated!  And we've gotten great at adapting recipes...but just to let you know what we're working with: we've got a ton of canned soups, canned veggies, rice, and pasta.  We almost never have cheese or eggs.  Fresh veggies are unpredictable since we rely on donations.  We've got a lot of frozen meat, but would prefer to use it as seasoning with the beans rather than a main portion.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
chamaecyparis
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007 03:31:26 PM »

White Bean Stew (can make it thick enough not to leak out of containers)

I never measure, but the proportions aren't too important.
ingredients:
white beans (cooked)
carrots, coarsely chopped
onion (optional, also coarsely chopped)
garlic (fresh or dried)
oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper

put all ingredients in a pot with just a little water (enough to keep beans from sticking to the bottom.  Cover and simmer until carrots and onions are cooked through.   It usually takes me about 15 minutes, but it will probably be longer if you're making it for a crowd.  Really simple, but also really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007 04:44:45 PM »

That sounds great -- thank you so much!  We probably won't have fresh carrots on hand but I think that it would be wonderful with chopped (or canned) tomatoes and maybe some canned greens.  (Or canned carrots -- do they make those?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Kaissa
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007 09:55:37 PM »

I have made white bean stew and thrown in canned tomatoes and it turned out really good. I pretty much used the recipe that was posted above but used chicken broth instead of the water.

I'll try to think of more ideas for you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007 10:11:57 PM »

i haven't a clue for pinto beans, but white beans are my favorite! my mom usually cooks them with a little water and throws in some jalepenos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
spaghetti
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007 09:30:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for the ideas -- please keep them coming!  Each pound of dried beans can make about 8 meals, and we want them to be appetizing and interesting!  I totally intended to make white bean stew today, but we ran out of time to cook hot food and ended up making a cold white bean salad: cooked beans, Italian salad dressing, chopped fresh tomatoes, minced red onion, and canned carrots.  Six pounds of beans down, lots and lots and lots to go  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
ravenztarot
YOU WANT WHAT? WHEN? YOUR JOKING!

I <3 my rotary cutters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007 06:38:58 PM »

a hoppin john kinda recipe , like mixing rice and beans i cook the beans with tomatoes and spices... the add over rice and mix
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best stories start with "ok officer I am going to tell you what happened"

Personal Swaps. LOVE fabrics & Vintage sewing  patterns and sewing books, tea, sewing notions, books, music, tarot anything, dragons, vampires and weres.

wist list: http://www.wists.com/ravenztarot
plumpossum
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007 08:18:55 AM »

I have a really similar recipe to chamaecyparis, it makes a really, really thick stew:

bacon
onions
garlic
celery
carrots
flour
white beans
water
paprika/cayenne/rosemary/black pepper...whatever seasonings you have on hand.

The trick is to render the fat from the bacon (for a huge stock pot full, I only use 4 slices- you could probably use ham-hock or leftover smoked turkey or something), saute the onions, garlic, celery & carrots in it, and then coat all the veggies on the bottom of the pot with flour.  Use the flour to coat the veggies really nice and pick up any excess oils.  Cook for a few minutes, then add beans and then just barely cover the whole thing with water.  Cook for hours and hours (if you can- in a pinch I've made it in 2 hours before) and then 30 minutes before serving, take the lid off the pot and let it reduce a bit.

It comes out really thick like stew. 

We've added tomatoes, spinach, and croutons before and change up the seasonings each time.  This soup has never failed me, and with all the fiber from the beans it's really filling and pretty darn healthy too.

Do you have the resources to make chili or baked beans with the pinto beans?  You can make baked beans with just about any kind of bean, my grandpa does his with limas.  And chili can be stretched in fantastic ways- chili dogs, cincinnati style (over spaghetti), put it in a pie, serve with corn chips or corn muffins.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

flipflopsgirl21
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007 08:22:04 AM »

thick chili or chili casserole? (bake cornbread on top)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007 12:23:04 PM »

For the pinto beans, how about refried beans served with rice and some beef, chicken or pork chopped up and served on top?

Refried beans:

1lb dried pinto beans
salt
water
2 slices bacon
lard or vegetable oil

Sort through the beans and pick out any yuck ones.  Rinse the beans and put them in a large pot.  Cover generously with water. Bring to a boil.  Let it boil for 2 hours, checking half way to see if it needs more water.  Add the bacon and a bit of salt.  Boil til beans are soft and then mash them in the pot.  (Don't drain the water.)  Melt 1/4 cup lard (or use  vegetable oil) in a pan, add the beans and mash and fry them.

If you have onions, tomatoes, cilantro and spicy peppers, you can chop them all up, and add a little salt to make pico de gallo salsa.

And if you have access to spices, you can fry up some meat with some chili powder and cumin, and serve it on top of the refried beans and rice.  Dollop some pico de gallo on top and you've got a really yummy and filling meal.  Add some tortillas and you've got burritos. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2 Kickass Ways to Wear Divergent Liner
Meet Our New Korean Beauty Correspondent
How to Change Up Your Concealer and Still Look Good
How to Layer Your Shadows for a Truly Eye-Catching Look
How to Rock Clumpy Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...