A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,616
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ask Jenny - Everything You've Wanted to Know (But Were Afraid to Ask)  (Read 53815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SublimeStitcher
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2007 11:32:53 AM »

You know, there is a way to do that. I don't know how it works. Voodoo maybe? The kits that I licensed to heretofore-unmentionabe big company included a sheet that was capable of imprinting the patterns on dark fabrics. I'm gonna pull one of those samples and look at it more closely. That's an example of how a giant manufacturer can do things that seem like magic to me, and I'll be determined to find out how it's done on my own ('cause they sure won't tell me). I've emailed Mary and asked her to get one of those kits out of the Sublime Stitching sealed vault for me...I'll look into it. But, this could take me a good long while. Will report back.

eta: since I posted this, I've tested those patterns and they didn't work.  Huh So, hrmpf. That's no good. I'll keep looking and see if I can figure it out!

About to post a question? Have you read Jenny's Gentle Guidelines first?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007 06:31:52 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2007 02:48:05 PM »

Okay here's my question.  How do you make all your embroidery look like it is floating in space?  I can always see the fabric in mine...is there some photoshop person lassoing all the outside bits and bytes and making them transparent?  If that's the case I'll give up but I do like the look that the fabric ends where the stitching ends so I was curious about your photographing technique Smiley  thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007 02:49:31 PM by rectangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2007 06:43:13 AM »

...is there some photoshop person lassoing all the outside bits and bytes and making them transparent?

Yes, and that person would be me! It takes a loooooot of time.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007 06:51:28 AM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

dollbecky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2007 01:21:20 PM »

Jenny ; do you mind when people alter or add to your designs ?
For example I am using some of the fruit from Sublime Stitches on a Shabbat table cloth/cover ...but I also add in wheat ,figs, pomegranate's and other middle eastern fruit and veg (traced off 30's Zionist posters for the retro feel) to make it more reflective of my husbands ancestry
**shh its going to be a surprise for him**
This is okay  ? Im not claiming your designs or planning to (financially) profit from stitching
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2007 05:14:36 PM »

Hi Dollbecky,

Goodness gracious no, I don't mind at all! In fact, I encourage that kind of inspired stitching! The patterns are designed to be a starting-point for your own creativity. It's sounds like you're doing just that, and for a really lovely table cover that your family will enjoy for a long time.

I'm sure we'd love to see your project posted to the forums!

Oh, and if you do want to sell what you make with my patterns, all you have to do is join the licensing program.

Jenny

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007 07:49:33 PM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Lorax1275
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2007 09:42:05 PM »

Hi Jenny,

Have you ever thought about doing something along the lines of a sampler?

I was thinking something like the stitch it kit, but with one of the tea towels that already had a "theme" printed on it.  Maybe there could be 3 "themes" and customers could pick there own.  One tea towel could be pre-printed and the other just plain. There would be a pic of the finished project but it would include types of stitches used and where.  Does that makes sense?  It would incorporate maybe 5 to 10 diffrent stitches.

I bring this up cause I find that there is so much variety (which I think is great), but it's also a little daunting cause there are so many diffrent stitches to choose from. 

I like the idea of a sampler as a learning tool, but I can't seem to find one for free hand embroidery.  All the ones I've found are counted cross stitch.  This doesn't work for me as I still count with my fingers and occasionally with toes and I don't like the idea of reading off a chart.  Plus the designs are so old fashion and just not fun.

Long question I know, SORRY!  But thanks so much for taking the time to ready it!

PS:  Austin is my home town, and I really miss the Magnolia Cafe, the one on S. Congress not on Lake Austin Blvd OH!  And Amy's Ice cream!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good times to be had by All!!
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2007 11:24:53 AM »

Hello Lorax! Thanks so much fro this. I am planning to design some samplers and hope to have them available by spring. I don't want to say too much about what they'll look like / be so it will be a surprise. A long-standing request I've had is something to illustrate what type of stitch might be used where. I've always avoiding doing that with the patterns so that stitchers can make their own choices- but sometimes those choices are hard! But stay tuned for samplers...

x - x - x - Special Announcement! - x - x - x

I am taking a (non-permanent) hiatus from the 'Ask Jenny' thread. But that doesn't mean you can't ask me questions! I have a new column on Venuszine.com where I answer DIY-business related questions, and ask that you send some of your business-related questions to me here: askjenny@sublimestitching.com
That would be so helpful! I mean, the questions gotta come from somewhere!

eta: the column is now up! Crafting a Business

I'll announce when this thread is fired up again. Promise. xoxo jenny
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007 06:53:08 AM by SublimeStitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kits - Patterns - How 2

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beef Filet with Smashed Red Potatoes
Ahi Tuna Poke Wonton
Asian Style Seared Tilapia Recipe
Snake Soup in Hong Kong
Shanghai Hairy Crabs
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...